• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Reciprocity

77zach

Does anyone know why Wisconsin will not recognize a Fl permit, when they are going to accept permits from states with lesser requirements? I am not planning on going to Wisconsin, but I'm curious.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
I can't find anything that "proves" this is the reason, but much has been said in the press about how Florida manages to issue permits to known felons and those with mental health commitment histories. Little if anything has been mentioned of what Florida has done when it was proved that a permit was issued to someone who did not meet the qualifications for it.

Sort of like how little appears in the press about the actual percentage of permits (in any state) that are revoked for cause. It makes better headlines to say a X number were revoked than to admit that it amounts to less than 1% of the total currently valid permits.

stay safe.

Rich7553

I can't find anything that "proves" this is the reason, but much has been said in the press about how Florida manages to issue permits to known felons and those with mental health commitment histories. Little if anything has been mentioned of what Florida has done when it was proved that a permit was issued to someone who did not meet the qualifications for it.

Sort of like how little appears in the press about the actual percentage of permits (in any state) that are revoked for cause. It makes better headlines to say a X number were revoked than to admit that it amounts to less than 1% of the total currently valid permits.

stay safe.

I believe the number I heard was 1700 or so. However, did you notice there was no statement on these licenses still being valid? I would have to assume that upon finding their mistake, Florida cancelled those licenses.

hammer6

mrjam2jab

click this link, and scroll down a little bit. it says that if a state follows the same background check procedures as WI, then they honor their permits. apparently FL doesn't....

http://www.doj.state.wi.us/dles/cib/ConcealedCarry/ConcealedCarry.asp

Wisconsin’s background check includes only two components (1) A criminal history record search; (2) A search of the national instant criminal background check system (NICS). If another states background check meets the same requirements a Wisconsin resident must meet, the DOJ has recognized that state.

No way PA met those standards...we don't have a 2 part check in place

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
Wisconsin’s background check includes only two components (1) A criminal history record search; (2) A search of the national instant criminal background check system (NICS). If another states background check meets the same requirements a Wisconsin resident must meet, the DOJ has recognized that state.

No way PA met those standards...we don't have a 2 part check in place

Arbitrary and Capricious? Anyone?

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Arbitrary and Capricious? Anyone?

Probably. but what's your point? There is nothing that says one state must recognize a concealed carry permit issued by another state.

And there is a whole lot wrong with the current attempts in Congress to create a federal law to just that effect. Only the short-sighted are i favor of letting the feds get that camel's nose under the edge of the tent.

stay safe.

lockman

State Researcher
The Feds may not be able to legally mandate recognition on their terms but they certainly have the authority to nullify compacts between states.

Cite: US Constitution. Article I. Section. 10.

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
Probably. but what's your point? There is nothing that says one state must recognize a concealed carry permit issued by another state.

Just because they have no restriction against being Arbitrary and Capricious, doesn't make it acceptable. Tho, I think there is such a restriction, it has just been ignored for so long that no one considers it....

And there is a whole lot wrong with the current attempts in Congress to create a federal law to just that effect. Only the short-sighted are i favor of letting the feds get that camel's nose under the edge of the tent.

Agreed.