Results 1 to 11 of 11

Thread: Poll: Gun ownership at 20-year high

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    South Puget Sound, Washington, USA
    Posts
    504

    Poll: Gun ownership at 20-year high

    http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/lookout/...140452521.html


    Guns seized under Washington D.C.'s now-defunct handgun ban (AP)
    Nearly half of Americans say they have a gun in their household, the highest percentage since 1993, according to a new Gallup poll.

    Forty-seven percent of Americans say they have a gun on their property. Gun ownership is up among Republicans as well as Democrats, though only 40 percent of Democrats say their home has a gun, compared to 55 percent of Republicans. Support for personal gun-ownership rights is also at a high. (The poll has a margin of error of plus or minus four points.)



    Reported gun ownership dropped sharply in the early 1990s and remained in the low 40s until today. Gallup says it's hard to know whether fewer people actually owned guns over that period or if they felt uncomfortable saying they did due to lower public support for gun ownership.

  2. #2
    Regular Member sudden valley gunner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Whatcom County
    Posts
    17,338
    Interesting read. Thanks.
    I am not anti Cop I am just pro Citizen.

    U.S. v. Minker, 350 US 179, at page 187
    "Because of what appears to be a lawful command on the surface, many citizens, because
    of their respect for what only appears to be a law, are cunningly coerced into waiving their
    rights, due to ignorance." (Paraphrased)

  3. #3
    Regular Member amlevin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    North of Seattle, Washington, USA
    Posts
    5,953
    The Democratic statistics are probably wrong. The 40% is probably low, they just don't want to admit that they've "visited the Dark Side" in front of their fellow "libs".

    Isn't it amazing how gun ownership is UP and violent crime is DOWN. Who would have "thunk"?
    "If I shoot all the ammo I am carrying I either won't need anymore or more won't help"

    "If you refuse to stand up for others now, who will stand up for you when your time comes?"

  4. #4
    Campaign Veteran slapmonkay's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Montana
    Posts
    1,267
    Quote Originally Posted by amlevin View Post
    Isn't it amazing how gun ownership is UP and violent crime is DOWN. Who would have "thunk"?
    Must just be a coincidence
    I Am Not A Lawyer, verify all facts presented independently.

    It's called the "American Dream" because you have to be asleep to believe it. - George Carlin

    I carry a spare tire, in case I have a flat. I carry life insurance, in case I die. I carry a gun, in case I need it.

  5. #5
    Campaign Veteran gogodawgs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Federal Way, Washington, USA
    Posts
    5,667
    Every single person on this board woulda thunk it.
    Live Free or Die!

  6. #6
    Regular Member amzbrady's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Marysville, Washington, USA
    Posts
    3,522
    I was listening to 610am today and heard over 50% of every household has a firearm and 43% of all women now own a firearm. Now just to get everyone in those numbers carrying everyday, and at least a 1/3 of them openly carrying. We could work on the other 2/3rds next year.
    If you voted for Obama to prove you are not a racist...
    what will you do now to prove you are not stupid?

    "The American people will never knowingly adopt socialism. But, under the name of "liberalism," they will adopt every fragment of the socialist program, until one day America will be a socialist nation, without knowing how it happened." - Norman Thomas

    "They who can who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve niether liberty nor safety." - Ben Franklin

  7. #7
    Regular Member sudden valley gunner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Whatcom County
    Posts
    17,338
    Quote Originally Posted by amlevin View Post
    The Democratic statistics are probably wrong. The 40% is probably low, they just don't want to admit that they've "visited the Dark Side" in front of their fellow "libs".

    Isn't it amazing how gun ownership is UP and violent crime is DOWN. Who would have "thunk"?
    It would be interesting to see a non biased study on these facts. It really is hard to tell if there is a correlation between the two. I am a little hesitant to jump on a general band wagon that it is gun ownership that has caused the drop in violent crime alone, although it may have helped.

    For instance economist have shown that Roe vs. Wade dropped violent crime dramatically. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Impact_of_Legalized_Abortion_on_Crime
    Better yet read their book "Freakonomics" very interesting and surprising studies.

    N
    ow I am not a proponent of abortion per say it is a messy issue but there maybe other factors involved in the drop of crime beside an apparent connection to gun ownership.
    Last edited by sudden valley gunner; 10-29-2011 at 09:30 AM.
    I am not anti Cop I am just pro Citizen.

    U.S. v. Minker, 350 US 179, at page 187
    "Because of what appears to be a lawful command on the surface, many citizens, because
    of their respect for what only appears to be a law, are cunningly coerced into waiving their
    rights, due to ignorance." (Paraphrased)

  8. #8
    Regular Member M-Taliesin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Aurora, Colorado
    Posts
    1,504
    Quote Originally Posted by amlevin View Post
    The Democratic statistics are probably wrong. The 40% is probably low, they just don't want to admit that they've "visited the Dark Side" in front of their fellow "libs".

    Isn't it amazing how gun ownership is UP and violent crime is DOWN. Who would have "thunk"?
    Howdy Amigo!
    I believe that many Democrats conceal the fact that they own guns for a really simple reason: They don't want the wrong people to find out they own one, and maybe come along and take it away. Remember, in the aftermath of hurricane Katrina, armed mercs went through neighborhoods confiscating guns from people. Many Democrats simply don't admit to owing firearms so theirs won't be taken should the fecal material strike the air circulation device.

    Blessings,
    M-Taliesin

  9. #9
    Regular Member MilProGuy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Mississippi
    Posts
    1,228
    Quote Originally Posted by Manu View Post

    Nearly half of Americans say they have a gun in their household, the highest percentage since 1993, according to a new Gallup poll.

    Forty-seven percent of Americans say they have a gun on their property.

    Support for personal gun-ownership rights is also at a high.
    And the proverbial pendulum begins swinging back towards the fundamental right of Americans to keep and bear arms!
    Proud Veteran ~ U.S. Army / Army Reserve

    Mississippi State Guard ~ Honorably Retired


  10. #10
    Regular Member FMCDH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    St. Louis, MO
    Posts
    2,043
    Quote Originally Posted by sudden valley gunner View Post
    It would be interesting to see a non biased study on these facts. It really is hard to tell if there is a correlation between the two. I am a little hesitant to jump on a general band wagon that it is gun ownership that has caused the drop in violent crime alone, although it may have helped.

    For instance economist have shown that Roe vs. Wade dropped violent crime dramatically. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Impact_of_Legalized_Abortion_on_Crime

    Better yet read their book "Freakonomics" very interesting and surprising studies.

    N
    ow I am not a proponent of abortion per say it is a messy issue but there maybe other factors involved in the drop of crime beside an apparent connection to gun ownership.
    After reading a few studies on the effects of Roe vs. Wade, I would be inclined to agree with the idea it has had a positive impact on crime rates overall.

    Also, 3 strikes laws have had an impact.

    The down side of understanding the impact of Roe vs. Wade has always been that its effects can really only start to be studied at least a generation after the fact.

  11. #11
    Regular Member sudden valley gunner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Whatcom County
    Posts
    17,338
    Quote Originally Posted by FMCDH View Post
    The down side of understanding the impact of Roe vs. Wade has always been that its effects can really only start to be studied at least a generation after the fact.
    This is the problem with many things the government does that have negative effects too. By the time you can outright prove the results it has become way too entrenched.
    I am not anti Cop I am just pro Citizen.

    U.S. v. Minker, 350 US 179, at page 187
    "Because of what appears to be a lawful command on the surface, many citizens, because
    of their respect for what only appears to be a law, are cunningly coerced into waiving their
    rights, due to ignorance." (Paraphrased)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •