• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Kentucky Oaks Mall encounter

CharleyCherokee

A few days ago my wife and I were shopping at the Kentucky Oaks Mall. I was specifically looking for an Oklahoma Sooners shirt for my young son. I, fortunately, found it for sale at Dick's sporting goods. After purchasing the shirt we went around the mall looking for more clothing, and finished by stopping at a calendar store in the mall. They have some pretty cool toys as well as calendars. Specifically they have a train set that I'm debating purchasing as a birthday or Christmas present. However, while my wife and I were looking at the calendars I was approached by a security guards and two officers. The security guard informed me that weapons weren't allowed on mall property. To which I responded the signs you have posted state other wise. The signs say, "Weapons are prohibited, except where allowed by state and federal law." I then said well the mall is private property so if you're asking us to leave we'll leave. We were parked on the other side of the mall so we had security and two officers following us out. Once we reached the door I read the sign aloud looked back at the security officer and policemen then walked out of the door with my wife. When I got home I emailed the property manager of the mall. The following is our correspondence.

Hello Mr. Wilson,
Tonight I was with my wife shopping in the mall when I was approached by a security officer and two police officers. The reason I was approached was because I was lawfully carrying a firearm for the protection of my wife and myself. The security officer insisted that it was against the mall's policy to have firearms in the mall. However, the signs you have posted state, "Weapons are prohibited except where allowed by state and federal law." It is permissible by state and federal law for me to have my firearm on my person; therefore, it is allowed by these signs. My wife and I were forced to stop our shopping and leave. If it is indeed the mall's policy to prohibit law abiding citizens from exercising their right to self defense then I will have to stop spending my hard earned money there. Furthermore, I will make the mall's policy to prohibit the lawful carry of firearms known to all other firearm owners I can. I'm sure that they would rather spend their hard earned money elsewhere as well. While there are many diverse stores together at one location in your mall I can assure you it will not be much burden for me to buy the things I wanted to buy from the mall at a variety of the surrounding stores. I eagerly await your reply for clarification of the mall's policy on this matter.

Sincerely,
C.R. Pulley III

Mr. Pulley,

I am in receipt of your email and will respond in short order to such. I thank you for your
cooresondence and we will talk soon.

Allen Wilson

Mr. Pulley,

I have reviewed the mall's policy and conferred with our corporate office to confirm
statements made in this reply. As such I would like to apologize for any inconvenience to you
and your wife related the the event on October 24th. Our company was in the process of modifying
it's policy on lawful handgun carrying. It simply did not trickle down prior to the incident.
Our guards have been given the updated policy and will react accordingly in the future. Kentucky
Oaks Mall does honor state and federal handgun carry laws as stated on the doors when coupled
with law abiding citizens. We hope you and your wife come back to the mall and I invite you to
come introduce yourself sometime. Our offices are located at the JC Penney end of the mall by
public restrooms.

Sincerely,

Allen Wilson
Property Manager
Kentucky Oaks Mall

So a long story short if you're in Kentucky and looking for a gun friendly mall then you're looking for Kentucky Oaks Mall in Paducah. This mall is run by Cafaro which is an Ohio based company. So according to Mr. Wilson all malls operated by Cafaro would be gun friendly so long as carry is allowed in the mall by law.

KRM59

A few days ago my wife and I were shopping at the Kentucky Oaks Mall. I was specifically looking for an Oklahoma Sooners shirt for my young son. I, fortunately, found it for sale at Dick's sporting goods. After purchasing the shirt we went around the mall looking for more clothing, and finished by stopping at a calendar store in the mall. They have some pretty cool toys as well as calendars. Specifically they have a train set that I'm debating purchasing as a birthday or Christmas present. However, while my wife and I were looking at the calendars I was approached by a security guards and two officers. The security guard informed me that weapons weren't allowed on mall property. To which I responded the signs you have posted state other wise. The signs say, "Weapons are prohibited, except where allowed by state and federal law." I then said well the mall is private property so if you're asking us to leave we'll leave. We were parked on the other side of the mall so we had security and two officers following us out. Once we reached the door I read the sign aloud looked back at the security officer and policemen then walked out of the door with my wife. When I got home I emailed the property manager of the mall. The following is our correspondence.

Hello Mr. Wilson,
Tonight I was with my wife shopping in the mall when I was approached by a security officer and two police officers. The reason I was approached was because I was lawfully carrying a firearm for the protection of my wife and myself. The security officer insisted that it was against the mall's policy to have firearms in the mall. However, the signs you have posted state, "Weapons are prohibited except where allowed by state and federal law." It is permissible by state and federal law for me to have my firearm on my person; therefore, it is allowed by these signs. My wife and I were forced to stop our shopping and leave. If it is indeed the mall's policy to prohibit law abiding citizens from exercising their right to self defense then I will have to stop spending my hard earned money there. Furthermore, I will make the mall's policy to prohibit the lawful carry of firearms known to all other firearm owners I can. I'm sure that they would rather spend their hard earned money elsewhere as well. While there are many diverse stores together at one location in your mall I can assure you it will not be much burden for me to buy the things I wanted to buy from the mall at a variety of the surrounding stores. I eagerly await your reply for clarification of the mall's policy on this matter.

Sincerely,
C.R. Pulley III

Mr. Pulley,

I am in receipt of your email and will respond in short order to such. I thank you for your
cooresondence and we will talk soon.

Allen Wilson

Mr. Pulley,

I have reviewed the mall's policy and conferred with our corporate office to confirm
statements made in this reply. As such I would like to apologize for any inconvenience to you
and your wife related the the event on October 24th. Our company was in the process of modifying
it's policy on lawful handgun carrying. It simply did not trickle down prior to the incident.
Our guards have been given the updated policy and will react accordingly in the future. Kentucky
Oaks Mall does honor state and federal handgun carry laws as stated on the doors when coupled
with law abiding citizens. We hope you and your wife come back to the mall and I invite you to
come introduce yourself sometime. Our offices are located at the JC Penney end of the mall by
public restrooms.

Sincerely,

Allen Wilson
Property Manager
Kentucky Oaks Mall

So a long story short if you're in Kentucky and looking for a gun friendly mall then you're looking for Kentucky Oaks Mall in Paducah. This mall is run by Cafaro which is an Ohio based company. So according to Mr. Wilson all malls operated by Cafaro would be gun friendly so long as carry is allowed in the mall by law.

way to go

Johnburns15

Very good!!!
If only I could get a response from the fayette mall. They have no signs saying anything about firearms being prohibited but their security guards insist it's illegal to carry there. (idiots)