• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Non Resident Permit Fees, expiration and renewal proposal for 2012 Session

Edward Peruta

This is what is proposed regarding Non Resident Permit Fees, expirations and renewals.

Attached is what I obtained today.

Attachments

• Non Resident Permit Fees and Renewals.pdf
    55.8 KB · Views: 122

Rich B

Classy. We are justifying an additional burden on visitors to our state having their human right to self defense on the logic that 'everyone else is doing it!'.

I like the nice kickback to the DPS too.

mrjam2jab

$140??? What kind of carp is that?

1. Nationally, those states that issue permits to out of state residents do so at a higher fee
Connecticut never has.

PA does not. AZ does not. UT does not. NV does not. WA does not. ND does not. TX does not.

Seems to be a New England thing...

Mopar

$140??? What kind of carp is that?

PA does not. AZ does not. UT does not. NV does not. WA does not. ND does not. TX does not.

Seems to be a New England thing...

Well, if they want to follow the lead of those states that do, they need to drastically reduce the fee for residents. NH Charges $100 for an out of state permit now, but it's only $10 for a resident permit. If CT wants to go with that fee schedule, fine by me.

Rich B

Well, if they want to follow the lead of those states that do, they need to drastically reduce the fee for residents. NH Charges $100 for an out of state permit now, but it's only $10 for a resident permit. If CT wants to go with that fee schedule, fine by me.

Wouldn't it be more prudent to make them both $10? After all, they must cost the same amount to produce.

Mopar

Wouldn't it be more prudent to make them both $10? After all, they must cost the same amount to produce.

Actually, they dont cost the same. The non-resident is a nice official laminated job like CT's. The resident one is little more then a piece of paper with your thumbprint on it. NH's thinking was rather then raise resident's fees, they would keep it low for their residents and make it up with visitors. They do the same with many other things (hotel tax, restaurant tax, etc) that tend to have less impact on residents. By doing this they have been able to keep a ZERO %state sales tax, and ZERO state income tax. Like I said, if CT followed NH's lead I would be quite happy.

Freiheit417

I think the easiest answer for CT to reduce the cost for non-resident permits is to provide full reciprocity of ALL other states' permits/licenses. There would then be very little need for non-resident permits. Indiana does it! They also have a lifetime handgun license (carry permit).

However, as is typical here in CT, they don't want to cut costs. They just want to increase revenue.

Constitutional Carry would be another way, but that's even more of a long-shot here, no pun intended.

mrjam2jab

I think the easiest answer for CT to reduce the cost for non-resident permits is to provide full reciprocity of ALL other states' permits/licenses. There would then be very little need for non-resident permits. Indiana does it! They also have a lifetime handgun license (carry permit).

However, as is typical here in CT, they don't want to cut costs. They just want to increase revenue.

Constitutional Carry would be another way, but that's even more of a long-shot here, no pun intended.

Not just IN....AZ, IA, ID, KY, MO, MI, OK, SD, TN, VT all honor all other state's permits.

Freiheit417

Not just IN....AZ, IA, ID, KY, MO, MI, OK, SD, TN, VT all honor all other state's permits.

Exactly. Thanks for pointing out these additional states that do so.

The "everyone else is doing it" logic can be equally applied here as well. Since the aforementioned states are all doing it, then it's a valid argument for us to follow the trend. :p Unfortunately, logic seems to be absent in the majority of the CT Legislature.