• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Eligibility Certificate Fees, Expiration and Renewals

Edward Peruta

The state is proposing changes to Eligibility Certificate applications etc.

Everyone should have one because they are NOT conditioned on SUITABILITY.

I have attached the proposal.

Attachments

• Increase in Fees for Eligibility Certificates.pdf
    50.9 KB · Views: 120

Rich B

How many of these are currently issued? Less than 100, right?

How do they expect to 'increase revenue' in any significant way?

It also says they are adding the fees for national and state background checks... Isn't this an issue you were just talking about on another thread?

Last edited:

GoldCoaster

Utility

I have one, did it as a way to see how easy it would be (very) to obtain this so as an end-run around local interview/background checks it becomes a question of suitability.

Since I have one as well as a permit, if for some reason I become unsuitable and since (at present) suitability only refers to the carry permit it might be a good tool to hold on to my 1 pistol and one rifle at home until whatever happens gets sorted out.

brk913

I have one, did it as a way to see how easy it would be (very) to obtain this so as an end-run around local interview/background checks it becomes a question of suitability.

Since I have one as well as a permit, if for some reason I become unsuitable and since (at present) suitability only refers to the carry permit it might be a good tool to hold on to my 1 pistol and one rifle at home until whatever happens gets sorted out.

Depending on the situation if a permit holder simply becomes unsuitable and has their permit revoked for that reason they do not have to turn over or relinquish any guns they possess. The eligiblity certificate will not protect your guns if you become unsuitable because you become ineligible to posess firearms (ie. felony conviction, restraining order, etc.) the only benefit would be that you would still be able to purchase handguns and take them to your home (and long guns / shotguns without a wait).

Edward Peruta

Response

The eligibility Certificate most certainly allows transport to and from a FORMAL RECOGNIZED RANGE where you practice with your firearms. This is addressed by a Seventh Circuit Chicago case which provides that training and proficiencywith your weapon is a CORE Second Amendment right.

When in possession of an eligibility certificate, you have the right to purchase, take immediate possession and transport the firearm(s) to your home.

Your understanding of suitability is misguided. It ONLY pertains to Permits to CARRY Pistols and Revolvers.

You can only lose possession of your firearms through legal government actions.

I'm not going to go into it here, but it is currently being litigated in the courts on several fronts here in CT.

brk913

Ed, while I respect your opinion on this the Eligibility certificate does not allow for any transport of a firearm, it only allows you to purchase a handgun. CT statute 29-35 makes no exception for a resident of CT to transport a gun without a permit for pistol training unless "such person is a bona fide resident of the United States and is permitted to possess and carry a pistol or revolver in the state or subdivision of the United States in which such person resides"

See section 29-36g section f: (f) An eligibility certificate for a pistol or revolver shall not authorize the holder thereof to carry a pistol or revolver upon his person in circumstances for which a permit to carry a pistol or revolver issued pursuant to subsection (b) of section 29-28 is required under section 29-35.