• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Waukesha County Technical College posts victim disarmament zone

MKEgal

WCTC Student,

Earlier this year the Wisconsin State Legislature passed a bill making it permissible for licensed individuals to carry concealed weapons. The bill goes into effect on November 1, 2011. This same law also permits colleges and universities to prohibit individuals from carrying a concealed weapon into their facilities.

Waukesha County Technical College has decided that in the best interest and safety of our campus community [translation, "trust us, we know what's best for you], we will prohibit individuals from carrying weapons into all College buildings and facilities (owned or leased), or at College sponsored activities held on public or private property.

The only exclusions are certified sworn police officers (on or off-duty) and individuals who are required to carry a weapon as part of their employment or education program such as police science students and instructors provided that such possession, transport or use is in accordance with all applicable laws, regulations, employment and educational requirements.

WCTC is not alone in choosing to prohibit individuals from carrying weapons into our facilities. Nearly all of the state’s technical college districts and the entire University of Wisconsin System, and others are electing to prohibit individuals from carrying concealed weapons into their facilities. Our goal is to ensure that all members of our college community feel safe when they are in our facilities.

Below is a link to the Department of Justice’s FAQ document. This document addresses many of the questions that have been raised regarding the new law.

http://www.doj.state.wi.us/dles/cib/ConcealedCarry/ccw_frequently_asked_questions.pdf

If you have any questions please contact Jayson Scherer, Environmental, Health and Safety Coordinator at (262) 691-5226.
jscherer9@wctc.edu

#####

Notice that they make an exception for the Only Ones,
and the trainee Only Ones,
despite evidence from across the country that citizens are generally safer w/ firearms.
Ask our friendly local Utah instructor... it was because of LEO ND's that BCI instituted their "no ammo in the classroom policy.

As for hoping people "feel safe", I feel less safe in environments that are posted as victim disarmament zones.
Don't I count?

Last edited:

MKEgal

my email asking some pointed questions

Mr. Scherer,

I am wondering how WCTC will be enforcing this new policy?
I have not seen metal detectors & armed guards at every entrance. In fact there are only "no (legal) guns" stickers on some doors. And if someone is carrying concealed, how will anyone know?

Also, while having people "feel safe" is nice, if the goal is truly to have people _be_ safe on campus, putting up signs announcing that everyone here is defenseless is not a good way to go about it.

That didn't work out so well at Virginia Tech, Northern Illinois U, Arkansas State, Virginia Polytechnic, Louisiana Tech, U of Memphis, Delaware State U (twice), U of Iowa, San Diego State U, U of Arizona, Case Western Reserve, Penn State, ... They had all declared their campuses to be "(legal) gun-free zones", yet people were massacred.

And does the WCTC board of directors understand that they've given up their immunity from liability by requiring everyone on campus to be defenseless? If something bad happens here (heaven forbid!) WCTC has no protection from the lawsuits, especially with the easily-available information about massacres on other "(legal) gun-free" campuses, & the lowered crime on campuses which allow the peaceful exercise of protected civil rights.

See 175.60 (21) (b) on page 13 of the PDF of Act 35:
https://docs.legis.wisconsin.gov/2011/related/acts/35.pdf
"(21) (b) A person that does not prohibit an individual from carrying a concealed weapon on property that the person owns or occupies is immune from any liability arising from its decision."

Please let me know how WCTC will be protecting students, staff, & visitors.
And when is the next meeting of the Board of Directors, so rational evidence may be presented to encourage the repeal of this policy?

MKEgal

I'm sure I'll end up on some list, & might get a visit from campus police or some such foolishness, but notice I never said anything about what I want to do, & never made any threats, even veiled ones.
I'm just asking questions & presenting evidence.
That's very threatening to some people.

protias

So they'll teach a CCW course there but don't you dare even think about carrying there? Hypocritical much? :banghead:

E6chevron

I'm guessing that the use of the term "facilities" is to use FUD (Fear Uncertainty and Doubt) to mask the fact that they cannot legally prohibit people who carry a firearm from being on the grounds of or land occupied by the university or college.

Parking facilities, and lots are also specifically allowed for people who carry a firearm, by statute 943.13(1m)(c)2 and 5.

Mlutz

So they'll teach a CCW course there but don't you dare even think about carrying there? Hypocritical much? :banghead:

Didn't a TC in Madison have a CC course, and your firearm had to be U and IC on campus? (The class room was an exception though.) I'll look...

gunguy2009

Blackhawk Technical College in Janesville have the same policy as of this morning. As I walked into class I was sickened by the sight of a "No guns allowed" sign posted just outside the door...