• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

21 finally

Justman1020

So, Just turned 21 about a week ago (Oct 20)
Purchasing the S&W M&P9c on the 31'st (payday)
after it gets here, (5-7 days blah blah blah) anyone up for going to the range? I'm going to have to break it in. :)

tombrewster421

Hopefully you get it before Nov 5th and you could come to the pit in Olympia. Congrats on your future purchase.

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
Nice choice for your first purchase. Glad to see I am not the only one who was eager to get my first handgun. I got mine within three days of my birthday, then I got another about twenty days later. My FFL had to hold it since Virginia has a one handgun a month rule. (I am now exempt since I got my CHP, silly P4Ps) Fair warning, it is addictive. Four years later and I now have 16 handguns.

Justman1020

Yeah, I've grown up around weapons, i own a 659 S&W that is in FL, and i would have purchased one on my birthday had it not been a matter of finances.

as far as the pumpkin shoot, that all depends on how long it takes for the wait period to end, if anything maybe i could bring my 12 gauge out? haha

fhsantos

Get something that's comfortale for you, open carry you want the weapon to feel very close to your body at all times. I prefer Kydex, but leather looks & feels great. All depends on what you like personally, go to a gun shop, try a couple different ones.

golddigger14s

Activist Member
So, Just turned 21 about a week ago (Oct 20)
Purchasing the S&W M&P9c on the 31'st (payday)
after it gets here, (5-7 days blah blah blah) anyone up for going to the range? I'm going to have to break it in. :)
Not sure where you are in WA, but even if they don't "release" your gun by the 5th come out to the pit anyway. You can shoot my 9mm for some practice, and I'm sure a lot of others will let you try theirs. Especially if you bring your own ammo, you can melt my barrel for all I care (lifetime warranty). I'll have 9mm, 7.62X39, .22, and 12 GA based weapons. BTW Cabelas has 9mm for $8.99, and 7.62 for $4.49 right now.

tombrewster421

Not sure where you are in WA, but even if they don't "release" your gun by the 5th come out to the pit anyway. You can shoot my 9mm for some practice, and I'm sure a lot of others will let you try theirs. Especially if you bring your own ammo, you can melt my barrel for all I care (lifetime warranty). I'll have 9mm, 7.62X39, .22, and 12 GA based weapons. BTW Cabelas has 9mm for $8.99, and 7.62 for $4.49 right now.

I'll also have a 9 mm, 7.62x39, and a .223 if I make it out there.

SigGuy23

Activist Member
where do you live in WA? If your close enough, I would be happy to go to the range with you. I need a good range buddy since the one I had is on deployment right now.

SovereignAxe

Are you talking about that steel cased Herter's stuff? I've been thinking about trying it for practice. Is it any good?

slapmonkay

Campaign Veteran
Are you talking about that steel cased Herter's stuff? I've been thinking about trying it for practice. Is it any good?
I use 9mm BVAC, its made out of Montana (where I am from). You can also picked it up in Lakewood, WA at Surplus Ammo. Its the cheapest, only 16 cents a round (1000 for $165, sometimes they have specials). If you pick it up at surplus ammo no shipping, if you pick it up in Montana (I go regularly) its no shipping and no tax and its only 15 cents a round. Shoots clean, its the only stuff I use for range ammo.

Last edited:

golddigger14s

Activist Member
Yep, for plinking it's great. Especially when I shoot at a range where you have to pick up your "brass". I use a stick with a magnet on the end , and just "sweep" it up. I've only had one round not go "bang". I keep a couple of thousand rounds on hand.

SovereignAxe

I use 9mm BVAC, its made out of Montana (where I am from). You can also picked it up in Lakewood, WA at Surplus Ammo. Its the cheapest, only 16 cents a round (1000 for $165, sometimes they have specials). If you pick it up at surplus ammo no shipping, if you pick it up in Montana (I go regularly) its no shipping and no tax and its only 15 cents a round. Shoots clean, its the only stuff I use for range ammo.

Yep, for plinking it's great. Especially when I shoot at a range where you have to pick up your "brass". I use a stick with a magnet on the end , and just "sweep" it up. I've only had one round not go "bang". I keep a couple of thousand rounds on hand.

HMMMMMMM *scratches chin*

I can't excatly afford $170 right yet, but I'll be bookmarking that page. I do think I'm going to try out Herter's though. I've been eyeballing that $9 box for the past couple of months.

Justman1020

well, plans got accelerated just slightly,

went out and paid for the concealed permit today, then decided eh, why not let them start my paperwork now to, so i went and filled out the forms for my M&P, they said it should be ready and cleared by next friday!! So, I will probably be joining you all on the 5th with a handgun needing to be broken in, and a shotgun that could always use more rounds thru it :)

Also went ahead and purchased a Blackhawk holster today....all in all, 670$ later... (permit, holster, and S&W M&P 9C, with night sights and three mags) the weapon was only 509,

golddigger14s

Activist Member
well, plans got accelerated just slightly,

went out and paid for the concealed permit today, then decided eh, why not let them start my paperwork now to, so i went and filled out the forms for my M&P, they said it should be ready and cleared by next friday!! So, I will probably be joining you all on the 5th with a handgun needing to be broken in, and a shotgun that could always use more rounds thru it :)

Also went ahead and purchased a Blackhawk holster today....all in all, 670$ later... (permit, holster, and S&W M&P 9C, with night sights and three mags) the weapon was only 509,

Good to hear then all you need are some evil pumpkins!
Also another idea: $17 target stand
http://waguns.org/viewtopic.php?f=54&t=377

amlevin

where can i find a bunch of pumpkins after halloween???

On about half the front porches in my neighborhood:) That is unless the local High School kids come through late Halloween night and smash them all in the middle of the street.

You can also go to the local produce stands and make an offer on leftovers. Might get a deal.