• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

New Member with Old Issues

psyclone07

Hello everyone!

So I found out about this site from my NRA Basic pistol course instructor and have been having trouble with getting the needed things and submitting my paperwork to the Hartford Police Dept.

First issue was i walked in and they wouldn't give me a temp pistol permit application without verification that i had finished my NRA course....i know this goes against state statute, but i complied and came in with the certificate a few days later.

I picked up the application and have noticed the additional sheet provided by the Hartford Police dept authorizing a couple of extra needed requirements. I believe KIX has it listed on his website under the town of hartford.

I called the officer who's in charge of the pistol permits unit and he seemed a bit annoyed by some of the questions i was asking. (regarding proof of residency and such) Anyway, so i asked the officer if i could go in Tuesday and submit my application as they hold fingerprinting on tuesday mornings and he said, "you need to slow down, first you have to get through the interview with me before getting anywhere. You can do your fingerprints, but i advise you just do it the same day of the interview so your not coming in and out of here." He said since they are so busy that he wouldn't be able to get an interview with me til the first Thursday of December and we scheduled an interview then.

Now the part that upsets me is the fact that i have to now wait one month for a interview which is not required by state statute and I need to wait according to him to submit my paperwork or i would be "wasting my time" . Also lets incorporate the 8 additional weeks itll take them to process everything once the application is submitted. Any ideas on how i should go about this?

I saw that on the firearms appeal dept website they have the declaratory ruling about this linked right on the front page. I emailed them expressing my concern and asking for a bit of guidance, but have not heard anything back from them just yet (dont think i will honestly).

Any insight//guidance? I'm about ready to fight the good fight and just submit the paperwork with the required information by state statute and set up the appeal because id rather give them some hell since i will have to wait a while anyway it seems. I would like to exercise my right, but they do make it difficult to do so.

p.s. Anyone have experience on someone who followed state statute and submitted only the required paperwork and still obtaining their permit? Any ideas on timeframe if so.

I appreciate any help/insight!

Last edited:

zipsil

I know that its not really going to help you get anywhere dealing with the PD, but the general statutes as I read them say that if they don't give you a permit application when you ask for one, that itself is an application. So maybe you already have the grounds to appeal to the BFPE?

My town also asked for things outside the state statute requirements, their instructions said to call and make an appointment to drop off the application, problem was the appointment maker never returned my phone call, in the end I just went there and dropped all the stuff off. Eventually the detective called me to and set up an appointment but that time waiting for the appointment was not included in the 8 weeks.

Sec. 29-28a. Application for permit. Notice of decision to applicant. (a) Requests for temporary state permits under section 29-28 shall be submitted to the chief of police, or, where there is no chief of police, to the warden of the borough or the first selectman of the town, as the case may be, on application forms prescribed by the Commissioner of Public Safety. Upon written request by any person for a temporary state permit not on a prescribed application form, or upon request by any person for such application form, the local authority shall supply such forms. When any such request is made in person at the office of the local authority, the local authority shall supply such application form immediately. When any such request is made in any other manner, the local authority shall supply such application form not later than one week after receiving such request. If such application form is not supplied within the time limits required by this section, the request therefor shall constitute a sufficient application. If any local authority fails to supply an application form upon the request of any person, such person may request an application form from the Commissioner of Public Safety or any barracks of the Division of State Police, and the time limits and procedures set forth in this section for handling requests for such forms shall be applicable.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
.....snip...... If any local authority fails to supply an application form upon the request of any person, such person may request an application form from the Commissioner of Public Safety or any barracks of the Division of State Police, and the time limits and procedures set forth in this section for handling requests for such forms shall be applicable.

Therein would seem to be the best alternate approach to solving the immediate problem.

Rich B

You can also go get your fingerprints done at the DPS in Middletown.

Take that fingerprint card, your application and required fees and send them certified mail to the PD.

The date they receive this will be the first day of their five day deadline to submit to SPBI. Call them the day after the deadline and see if it has been done.

MilProGuy

The process of obtaining a firearms permit (as they are referred to here in Mississippi) is a rather lengthy and convoluted process. All in all, it took me 45 days to obtain mine from the day I submitted my paperwork in person at the Highway Patrol station two counties away from where I reside.

Hang in there and don't give up the "ship", so to speak.

There is a light at the end of the tunnel.

Last edited:

Rich B

First time applications are now available at your nearest Highway Patrol Substation. There are substations located in Jackson, Greenwood, Batesville, New Albany, Starkville, Meridian, Hattiesburg, D'Iberville, and Brookhaven. Be sure to check "Firearm Permit Locations" for date & time of processing.
http://www.dps.state.ms.us/dps/dps.nsf/webpages/firearms_firearmspermitfaqs?OpenDocument

FYI
I think you misquoted. And it is rather confusing since you are posting out of state info in response to my quote.

smokeyburnout

I submitted my paperwork with only the required by state material and am currently at 4 weeks out. Ill absolutely keep everyone updated as im going to try to push for getting my permit before the 8 week maximum. My persobal advise wpuld be to do the same and only submit what is needed and maybe bring a copy of the declaratory ruling from DPS with you for good measure. Kerp up the good fight brother.

hermannr

I thought CT was a "shall issue" state???

I walked into our (rural) Okanogan Co Sheriffs office one day, was out in about 15 minutes. Less than 1 week later my CPL arrived in the mail. What is the problem out there? I have heard Kitsap Co. issues same day.

smokeyburnout

CT is a may issue state. All the things that hartford is doin are completely against state statutes and frankly are deploreable. Im thankful my local PD wasnt nearly as much of a pain in the rear, at least their not yet.

KIX

Six weeks is nothing, they are on 8 months to issue (even then, they have apps in the "approve" pile to just get signed).

What Rich said about getting prints done is a good idea.

If you go that route, you can send in your prints, to the Chief directly, and certified return receipt requested.

It's an adventure in Hartford. I wish someone would let Det. Johnson know I put their paperwork on my website, I'm sure he won't be too happy!

Jonathan

KIX

For the record, the SLFU has NO INTEREST in telling a town they have to..... I dunno..... follow the law!

It's supposed to be their job.

I was told by someone in SLFU that "they aren't going to tell Hartford what they have to do, they said they have a policy". WTF? So, their policy, in clear violation of state statutes isn't a reason to get involved and do your job????

Jonathan

psyclone07

update*

Just called the PD as im about 9 weeks into it and decided to check the status of my app.

Hi, my name is ____________ and i submitted a pistol permit application a few weeks ago and was wondering if they were any updates on the status."

Officer- "a few weeks ago?!"

"well more like 2 months ago"

Officer- "Well you wouldve received a call if there was an update"

Officer then explains the DPS backlog saying its 16 weeks backed up and then continues to try to see where my application resides. Says he doesn't remember my name and he doesn't see my paperwork in front of him; which could mean a good or bad thing. Either its hasn't been sent out or its sitting on the Chiefs desk waiting for approval. I'm betting on the hasn't been processed part, but who knows. Took my name and number and my address and says he will give me a call back as he has a few pistol permit interviews coming up. We will see how it goes though i heard of many people getting their information taken and not receiving a call back.

I mailed my administrative denial letter to the BFPE on my 8th week.

Last edited:

psyclone07

questionnaire has been filled out and sent via email to the board. I asked them if it was ok to send it to them this way and got a response saying thank you for sending the information so i assume i shouldnt have to mail it out to them. The waiting continues....