• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Another Maine Firing Range Under Fire

Maine CWP Training

Howes in fight of their lives over gun club noise
October 27th, 2011

By Gail Geraghty

WATERFORD — John and Debbie Howe have spent four and a half years and $35,000 fighting the Waterford Fish & Game Club over the “sporadic torment of gunfire” they’ve endured since the club expanded their Route 118 shooting range.

Seven days a week during daylight hours, they and their neighbors hear bullets blasting apart clay pigeons, police officers target-practicing with automatic handguns and the reports of rifles and pistols being fired. From their farmhouse and 175 acres across the Crooked River up on McIntire Road, a mile and a quarter away,...

READ MORE

Last edited:

Maine CWP Training

The Howes dropped the lawsuit after their sound expert testified the shots heard on their property were less than a normal decibel speaking voice. The shots averaged 88 decibels.

They are being sued for harassment in Oxford District Court on 11/02 for harassing members and police officers on the range...

They moved from away and want to make Maine the way Massachusetts is.

Mr. Howe harasses club members even after he withdrew his lawsuit.
He is driving by hunking his horn and displaying the NY greeting. Often he stops then and yells at people. This happened to me several times and Mr. Howe was served a court appearance order to the Oxford DC.

It is the general opinion that it is only a matter of time before a very frustrated Mr. Howe will escalate to violence.

The club has Mr. Howe on video twice how he yells at members, several other videos how he drives by and about 4 witnesses where he did the same.

Do I think Mr. Howe will regard such an order? No.

However once he sits in the county jail he will have time to think over how often he would like to return to this quiet place!

Last edited:

carry for myself

Isn't that interesting. The same people that want the law to protect them won't follow it.

general liberal thinking. "i want my rights but yours dont matter, if i want something its mine but you can give me all your freedoms to obtain mine"

Maine CWP Training

SENT TO THE BRIDGTON NEWS

Your reporter Gail Geraghy has distinguished herself by inverting reality in her story about John and Debbie Howe. These rich, out-of-state old hippies knowingly moved next door to a local shooting range that had been operating since 1932. They then tried to impair property rights of others by baseless lawsuits. My only hope is that the Howes were forced to pay for the club's attorney. They are in the "fight of their lives" because they picked that fight.

Your biased reporter implies we should feel sorry for a former "vice president of engineering in a Fortune 500 company division". This is the kind of guy the occupy Wall Street kids protest AGAINST. However, her poor efforts, snarky writing style and "inconvenient external facts" engendered my instant sympathy for Waterford Fish and Game, and against the elitist, wealthy neighbors from hell. It likewise left me with a bad taste in my mouth for your publication.

Sadly, rich bullies continue to move here and try to remake Maine in the image of whatever mess they moved from. Your efforts to facilitate this contribute to the economic woes that have plagued this state for the last several decades.

carry for myself

to me the shots are so distant it sounds like pleasant waves crashing on a beach..........a 1/2 mile away.........what a .....i cant say what i want to :) but you get the jist :-D

Maine CWP Training

Even in his video across the street from the range the vehicle traffic is louder than the shots being fired at the range in existence since 1932.

jonjon_jon

Last edited:

PiercedMaineOC

I had to turn my speakers up nearly all the way up to hear the shots! Their talking was louder.
I believe that if their perception is that it's loud and intrusive for them then it is, and I'm no one to judge that. But as pointed out above, the range was there before they moved to the area knowing the range was there and what it s there for, so they probably either need to move, or sthu and just deal.
Just my two cents.

Maine CWP Training

Gun club president answers noise concerns
November 3rd, 2011

By Gail Geraghty

Staff Writer

NORTH WATERFORD — Several years ago, when John and Debbie Howe first began complaining to selectmen about gun noise from the Waterford Fish and Game Club shooting range, President John Conti went around with a clipboard to neighbors.

He knocked on perhaps two dozen doors within a radius of a mile and a half from the Route 118 range.

“Not one person said they had a problem with the noise. Not one,” said Conti, interviewed at the club property on Friday. “They said they could hear it from time to time, but it didn’t bother them.”

READ MORE

KCK

Watched the Howes video

Once the birds stopped chirping, I was able to catch a hint of gunfire off in the background.