• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

is there a specific format "No guns allowed" signs are suppose to be?

TaurusToter

Campaign Veteran
I thought it was 5" x 7" was the minimum. Somewhere around here someone posted a link to an order system for the victim enhancement zone signs for $5 each. I thought it was in one of the Madistan articles.

You are correct that it needs to be posted on every entrance though.

Last edited:

Mlutz

I thought business' that don't allow guns in their building need to have a sign being 11"X11", Orange, and on ever enterance... Is this correct?

Boy have you missed out...

How big of a sign must be used?
A sign must be at least five inches by seven inches that states the restriction on carrying a firearm. Wis. Stat. § 943.13(2)(bm)1.

What must the sign say?
In regard to posting land, the law only provides that the sign must provide an “appropriate notice” and the name of the person giving the notice (listing self as either the owner of occupant). Wis. Stats. § 943.13(2)am1. In regard to other locations the sign must simply state the restriction imposed. Wis. Stats. § 943.13(2)(bm)1. At a minimum the sign must inform people that weapons or firearms are prohibited. There are a number of messages that would meet the standard and the ultimate purpose of the sign is to put individuals on notice of the prohibition or limitation.

http://www.doj.state.wi.us/dles/cib/ConcealedCarry/ccw_frequently_asked_questions.pdf

Help at all? :)

oliverclotheshoff

signs are required to be 5x7 inches as for color i dont know im sure someone who does will chime in

mlutz you beat me to it

Last edited:

LaBomba

Boy have you missed out...

How big of a sign must be used?
A sign must be at least five inches by seven inches that states the restriction on carrying a firearm. Wis. Stat. § 943.13(2)(bm)1.

What must the sign say?
In regard to posting land, the law only provides that the sign must provide an “appropriate notice” and the name of the person giving the notice (listing self as either the owner of occupant). Wis. Stats. § 943.13(2)am1. In regard to other locations the sign must simply state the restriction imposed. Wis. Stats. § 943.13(2)(bm)1. At a minimum the sign must inform people that weapons or firearms are prohibited. There are a number of messages that would meet the standard and the ultimate purpose of the sign is to put individuals on notice of the prohibition or limitation.

http://www.doj.state.wi.us/dles/cib/ConcealedCarry/ccw_frequently_asked_questions.pdf

Help at all? :)

MLutz, I agree almost entirely and offer just a minor tweak -- the requirements you cite for posting land apply when posting general "no trespassing" signs. When land is posted to restrict weapons carry, the requirements for posting land are exactly the same as for posting grounds and buildings, i.e., 5x7" minimum and no specific language.

cite:
943.13 (2) (bm) 1. In this paragraph, “sign” means a
sign that states a restriction imposed under subd. 2. that
is at least 5 inches by 7 inches.
b. For the purposes of sub. (1m) (c) 2., an owner or
occupant of the grounds of a nonresidential building or of
land has notified an individual not to enter or remain on
the grounds or land while carrying a firearm or with a par-
ticular type of firearm if the owner or occupant has posted
a sign that is located in a prominent place near all prob-
able access points to the grounds or land to which the
restriction applies and any individual entering the
grounds or land can be reasonably expected to see the
sign.

H

Herr Heckler Koch

MLutz, I agree almost entirely and offer just a minor tweak -- the requirements you cite for posting land apply when posting general "no trespassing" signs. When land is posted to restrict weapons carry, the requirements for posting land are exactly the same as for posting grounds and buildings, i.e., 5x7" minimum and no specific language.

cite:
943.13 (2) (bm) 1. In this paragraph, “sign” means a
sign that states a restriction imposed under subd. 2. that
is at least 5 inches by 7 inches.
b. For the purposes of sub. (1m) (c) 2., an owner or
occupant of the grounds of a nonresidential building or of
land has notified an individual not to enter or remain on
the grounds or land while carrying a firearm or with a par-
ticular type of firearm if the owner or occupant has posted
a sign that is located in a prominent place near all prob-
able access points to the grounds or land to which the
restriction applies and any individual entering the
grounds or land can be reasonably expected to see the
sign.
You missed the best part. The signs don't even have to be there, they only have to have been there ...
(2) (am) A person has received notice from the owner or occupant within the meaning of sub. (1m) (b), (e) or (f) if he or she has been notified personally, either orally or in writing, or if the land is posted. Land is considered to be posted under this paragraph under either of the following procedures:
1. If a sign at least 11 inches square is placed in at least 2 conspicuous places for every 40 acres to be protected. The sign must provide an appropriate notice and the name of the person giving the notice followed by the word “owner” if the person giving the notice is the holder of legal title to the land and by the word "occupant” if the person giving the notice is not the holder of legal title but is a lawful occupant of the land.

Proof that appropriate signs as provided in this subdivision were erected or in existence upon the premises to be protected prior to the event complained of shall be prima facie proof that the premises to be protected were posted as provided in this subdivision.

Packfanatic

But... But... But....

is there NOT small print on the bottom of the signs that state:

Criminals need not heed this sign.. This sign is ONLY for law abiding citizens

Can i get a cite for that? i can not seem to find it :cool:

Last edited: