• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Stevenson, wa

purlrider

I was passing through Stevenson Washington last Wed. I stopped at the " Main Street Convenience Store" to get a coffee to go. I had just completed fixing it with enough flavored creamers ( cause their coffee is really bad, but cheep and full of caffeine ) when the checker asked me across the room " are you a police officer?" When I told him know he told me I would have to take my gun outside. I asked him if he was the owner or a manager. He was neither. There is no posting and he told me there was not written policy. This conversation took place as I was approaching the counter to pay for my coffee. He then said " take your gun outside now". It was obvious he was not going to take my money till complied. Well, it was my cup so I asked " where would you like me to dump this". He pointed to a soda fountain drain. As I was pouring out the coffee a gentleman that had just came in asked me if "he (the checker ) was giving me crap about my gun?" I said yes and as I was leaving this fella (loud enough for the checker to hear, but not boisterously) said " well I am not going buy anything here then either."
What is strange a small town in the Gorge like Stevenson probably has more guns then people and an anti gun attitude from that store could cost them revenue if the populace there new.

Question.

Does any employee have the legal power to tell us without posting or policy to take our gun outside?

Teddybearfrmhell

I was passing through Stevenson Washington last Wed. I stopped at the " Main Street Convenience Store" to get a coffee to go. I had just completed fixing it with enough flavored creamers ( cause their coffee is really bad, but cheep and full of caffeine ) when the checker asked me across the room " are you a police officer?" When I told him know he told me I would have to take my gun outside. I asked him if he was the owner or a manager. He was neither. There is no posting and he told me there was not written policy. This conversation took place as I was approaching the counter to pay for my coffee. He then said " take your gun outside now". It was obvious he was not going to take my money till complied. Well, it was my cup so I asked " where would you like me to dump this". He pointed to a soda fountain drain. As I was pouring out the coffee a gentleman that had just came in asked me if "he (the checker ) was giving me crap about my gun?" I said yes and as I was leaving this fella (loud enough for the checker to hear, but not boisterously) said " well I am not going buy anything here then either."
What is strange a small town in the Gorge like Stevenson probably has more guns then people and an anti gun attitude from that store could cost them revenue if the populace there new.

Question.

Does any employee have the legal power to tell us without posting or policy to take our gun outside?

in oregon, if that employee is in charge at the time, YES ..... doesnt have to be a manager or owner...... altho i would now contact the manager or owner, explain what happened and why you will not be spending your money there anymore and that you will be posting about your experience...... in this economy he needs every customer.

Historyman1942

I know you live in Oregon and all but these events happening in WA might be more appropriate for the Washington board even though you live in Oregon. I often visit the AZ forums as I spend sometime down there each year. Good stuff though.

purlrider

Thanks teddybear.

That was actually on my list of things to do. Your reply prompted me to do it right now however.
The managers name is Nikki.
As my story unfolded she said "oh your the guy, I was here that day but in a meeting." She went on to apologize and informed me that is not their policy. Asked rhetorically " you had it holstered, locked down and your hand wasn't on it, not a problem"
I thanked her and told her I would bring my money back to Main Street.

I you live in Skamania County or Oregon and Washington and know of this store...all is good at this time.

Teddybearfrmhell

Thanks teddybear.

That was actually on my list of things to do. Your reply prompted me to do it right now however.
The managers name is Nikki.
As my story unfolded she said "oh your the guy, I was here that day but in a meeting." She went on to apologize and informed me that is not their policy. Asked rhetorically " you had it holstered, locked down and your hand wasn't on it, not a problem"
I thanked her and told her I would bring my money back to Main Street.

I you live in Skamania County or Oregon and Washington and know of this store...all is good at this time.

i am very glad it worked out right.... and i hope that the employee has been retrained on store policy.

purlrider

I know you live in Oregon and all but these events happening in WA might be more appropriate for the Washington board even though you live in Oregon. I often visit the AZ forums as I spend sometime down there each year. Good stuff though.

My first post the other day Oregon and Washington. The and they both showed. I was asked to delete...I don't know how. I live in The Dalles so I am a boarder town. Thanks for the input I will re-post in Washington and see what happens.