• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

legal age for open carry in Missouri?

Appreciate it very much - that is indeed an unusual set of circumstances.

Reading those was a lot like unraveling a wad of twine :uhoh:

Now you can understand why we Missourians seem to talk in circles on our gun laws sometimes.

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
You can legally open carry a rifle or shotgun at the age of 18. However, there is a federal law that prohibits the possession and ownership of handguns unless you are 21 years of age or older. Hope this helps!

Not true.
You may not purchase from an FFL if you are not 21 years old.
Private purchase is quite legal.
http://www.nraila.org/gunlaws/federal/read.aspx?id=60

Possession is not denied - look at all of the states where under 21 OC regularly.
http://www.opencarry.org/age.html

Sorry sir, but you are wrong.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_Control_Act_of_1968

It is illegal to purchase and possess a handgun in the United States of America while being under the age of (21).

Possession is not denied only when that person is in their home -defending their self. If you purchase a handgun privately and you are under 21 years of age, that dealer and/or person is liable for your actions. In other words, you are screwed if you sell a handgun to a minor; or someone under the age of 21.

As if you didn't already know, Federal Law supersedes state laws. Therefore, the Gun Control Act of 1968 is superior of all statutes.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_Control_Act_of_1968

All wikipedia's are confirmed through knowledgeable sources and creators must provide adequate citing in order to receive approval.

Nothing, repeat nothing, to which you have cited demonstrates any support whatsoever to your false/erroneous claim: "there is a federal law that prohibits the possession and ownership of handguns unless you are 21 years of age".

Now you want me to site my claim (it's fact) that such does not exist? The absence of data does that - laws generally tell you what you cannot do, not what is allowed. Your request is almost funny if it were not so pathetic.

I neither offer my education, certifications or family connections as substitutions for the truth - under other circumstances I would be embarrassed for you. In this case you are on your own.

breakingbad

I would like to apologize to any members of this forum I may have insulted or attempted to degrade in any way whatsoever. Upon further research on the topic of owning a handgun in the United States, I have concluded the following:

Federal law requires licensed dealers (FFL holders) to confirm the party purchasing the handgun is at least (21) years of age or older. Rifles and shotguns are (18).

Although Federal law requires such actions to be taken when purchasing a firearm, this does not conclude it's illegal to own or possess a handgun at the age of (18). Unless there is a revised statute within your state that prohibits the acquisition and possession of a handgun while under the age of 21, you may purchase and carry as you please; if it's from a private source.

Hope this clears things up!

Last edited:

I for one am glad that you used your 4.0 grade average and masters degree in psychology and come to your senses on the purchase and possession of a handgun by persons under the age of 21.

breakingbad

I for one am glad that you used your 4.0 grade average and masters degree in psychology and come to your senses on the purchase and possession of a handgun by persons under the age of 21.

Me too. Now the only thing I need to know is what type of holster to purchase for my KelTec PF9... :cry:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
GS with all your knowledge, why do you keep banging your head with some of these people?

Because it is not about me. Erroneous information will be accepted by some people and repeated. Can't let that happen.

It is about educating people and causing them to do their own research, not just accepting the word of someone else. Trust those knowledgeable, but confirm. That is one of the reasons that OCDO requests cites.

Good to see that "breakingbad" has acknowledged the information and his faux pas - so now we can all hopefully move on to other things. This ended up as a win for everyone involved - best kind of ending.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Me too. Now the only thing I need to know is what type of holster to purchase for my KelTec PF9... :cry:

Ask that question in the Holsters and Accessories sub-forum - you'll get answers from people who have been there and done that.

Or simply goggle "holster for KelTec PF9"........personal research.

It is however OT (off topic) for this sub-forum and thread.

Ruether

Just to understand what was all stated about the Gun control laws and Open Carrying:

By state statute Missourians can OC at the age of 18.
and
To purchase a handgun from a FFL holder (ie Walmart) the age must be 21, but to a handgun from your buddy age is not a concern.

Correct me if I am wrong. As I was reading I felt like the threads were going in circles.

okboomer

Because it is not about me. Erroneous information will be accepted by some people and repeated. Can't let that happen.

It is about educating people and causing them to do their own research, not just accepting the word of someone else. Trust those knowledgeable, but confirm. That is one of the reasons that OCDO requests cites.

Good to see that "breakingbad" has acknowledged the information and his faux pas - so now we can all hopefully move on to other things. This ended up as a win for everyone involved - best kind of ending.

It can be a "dirty job" at times, but someone's got to do it and you do it with grace and courtesy for which we are all enriched! Thank you for your efforts on behalf of all gunowners across these united states!

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior

It can be a "dirty job" at times, but someone's got to do it and you do it with grace and courtesy for which we are all enriched! Thank you for your efforts on behalf of all gunowners across these united states!

Your comments are extremely generous, greatly appreciated and quite frankly overwhelming to me.

We are a team here on OCDO and I am pleased to play a part in that effort. Many contribute in diverse ways as to who and what we are. Our strength lies in that very diversity - that is what makes OCDO so strong and effective.

You provide a good opportunity to say "THANK YOU" to the many members/users who contribute their thoughts and expertise.

xmanhockey7

MO statute that states that MO honors all states permits below. When MO still had the 23 year old requirement for APPLYING for a CCW permit they honored permits from all states that had a lower age requirement including Maine at age 18. The law doesn't state that you must be 21 or older to CCW in MO but must now be 21 or older to APPLY for a MO permit. MO residents can also carry on a out of state permit without having a MO permit under this statute.

http://www.moga.mo.gov/statutes/C500-599/5710000030.HTM

Brochure published by the Missouri State Highway Patrol on CCW in MO. It states that MO honors all other states permits and does not mention any age requirement.

http://www.mshp.dps.missouri.gov/MSHPWeb/Publications/Brochures/documents/SHP-863.pdf

Bill that lowered the age requirement to APPLY for a MO permit from 23 to 21 among other things. It was signed by the Gov and went into effect Aug 28, 2011. MO has not published the new book of statutes yet.

http://www.house.mo.gov/billtracking/bills111/biltxt/truly/HB0294T.htm

It has been my understanding that MO does indeed follow this law. Some people confuse the fact that an age to apply and get a states permit is their statutory age to carry.