• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC'd all week.....

j4l

in Georgia.. not even entirely sure GA is fully open-carry or not, but.. no issues whatsoever.
OC'd from the moment I left the house here, throughout my entire vacation in GA, everywhere I went, and all the way home.
Not one issue, not even so much as a question or a blink from anyone, anywhere.
Was clearly, and fully seen by several LEO's, mostly in passing, but including a half-dozen or LEOs with whom I was conversing at the scene of a terrible car accident in the Mountains, when the guy in front of me missed a curve and went straight off the cliff.. not a single mention of the .45 on my hip the entire time.

Went hiking in the mountains at a State park up there, surrounded by tourists- many of them foreign (German, Japanese, Korean)- not a peep from a single one of them either. Park rangers and wildlife LEOs- notta, zip...
Stopped for some chow on the way back passing through Atlanta. Not a peep from anyone there either...

Interesting, to say the least.

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
To think of the horror, all of those horrible things could happen in Florida if you were allowed to OC there....

Glad you had a good and safe trip!!

ADulay

Not one issue, not even so much as a question or a blink from anyone, anywhere.

And still the FSA insists (as do the squeamish legislators) that there will be "panic in the streets" if we "allow" licensed open carry in Florida.

You and I (as well as many others) have proven this assumption to be entirely FALSE, thank you.

AD

77zach

Same experience in Georgia this summer. Sat near 4 georgia state patrol at a very crowded chick-fil-a OCing. I was nervous because GA is a licensed state and I don't think OC is all that common there. But, I got no reaction from anyone.

RetiredOC

Campaign Veteran
THIS...is a good LEO encounter. The one that doesn't exist. I can't stand threads titled "GOOD LEO ENCOUNTER BECAUSE THE COP SPARED MY LIFE AND DIDN'T KILL ME OR HAUL ME OFF." As you said, several police officers SAW and that was it. They saw it. It's good to hear that there ARE some decent people on the other side of the badge out there...

j4l

Im just more inclined to think that folks aren't as spooked by the whole idea as our opponents would like everyone to believe.
And, sadly, it's gotten so many folks on our side to be more nervous than is called for, really.
Granted, most of this trip I took was in very rural areas, small towns etc., where most of the locals have guns anyway, soo.. gotta factor that in as well, I suppose.. (although, in all of my travels I saw NO ONE else OC'ing at any time)

But-again-this wasnt just LEO's-it was anyone. Including the foreign tourists. No one so much as blinked or reacted in any way-positive OR negative.They just plain didnt give a s---t one way or the other- which was perfectly fine with me.

And even back home, around here, I had several moments of "brief exposure" to include in the presence of LEO's without any kind of reactions one way or the other.
BUT- I still think a big part of that has to do with presentation, conduct, and how one carries themself. I drive on through as if it's any other day,and Im wearing nothing more menacing or different than my shoes-as though it's just part of my outfit, like anything else. I dont puff up or present myself as some kind of Billy Badass, or some punk thug, or anything. I do go out of my way to be polite and non-threatening when carrying though, so I imagine a lot has to do with this as well.

Last edited:

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
Im just more inclined to think that folks aren't as spooked by the whole idea as our opponents would like everyone to believe.

It's a designed response... Telling the masses that the masses are already afraid. If everyone else is afraid for no reason, well dammit, I'm going along with that crowd, too! The fabricate the herd mentality by pretending it already exists.

j4l

True enough, but are not more than a few folks on here a bit guilty of feeding into, or at least buying into, that mentality?
All these "stopped and harrassed/arrested/hassled" bs threads all over the place in here, along with all the "get yer recorder" advice posts..:banghead: :banghead: :rolleyes:

I dunno, maybe it's me, maybe it's them, but my own experiences have (so far) been as far from any of that nonsense as one can get. Almost entirely the opposite, actually. And the only times I've ever had ANY reaction at all-from anyone-including LEOs- its been either positive, or inquisitive- along the lines of discussing choices of sidearms, where to find decent deals on pistol X Y or Z, ammo choices, good ranges to go to, etc.

Bottom line: my take,anyway, is relax, folks.The "boogie-man" isnt really out there unless you go out of your way to provoke him or draw him to you.

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
Bottom line: my take,anyway, is relax, folks.The "boogie-man" isnt really out there unless you go out of your way to provoke him or draw him to you.

Even if that take is accurate, don't you WANT to draw that boogie man out? Expose him? Remove him?

Or is that someone else's problem? Whom you have decided to make fun of? No bad cop will ever talk to someone, it must be their own fault... I thought people were responsible for their own actions, but somehow dirty cops aren't? It's all the Citizen's fault when one of these traitors steps out?

It happens to somebody. Recommending that others not be prepared for it... Bad form man.

You may as well say there's no reason to carry a gun, what are the odds you'll need it? You never needed one.... So nobody else needs one, either.

A recorder is a Citizen's attempt to resolve matters peacefully. Failing that, what do we have left? But that war is already upon us, no?

Nobody gets to decide if trouble comes looking for them. Well, except OCers, who send it away without being bothered because the gun is visible. The only problem left is the Statist LEO.

Wouldn't it be nice to see a recording of a non-traitor LEO encounter? "Hey, cool gun." - I'd like to see that LEO encounter just as much as the bad ones.

Actually, I'd prefer to not see the bad ones. I'd prefer they not happen. But one must see reality, and provide for it...

Most of the bad people in this society wear uniforms. They're smart enough to realize that putting on that uniform is the only way to live their chosen lifestyle and remain on the preferred side of the bars.

I'm not saying all cops are evil (I'd like to, but I'm not saying it). I'm saying that inside of a uniform is by far the most likely location to find a thug. Don't be a fool.

j4l

As I said, are there some douchebags in a uniform? Of course.
But there's no shortage of douchbags out of a uniform as well. (esp. in politics...)

Am I inclined to be the retard on a youtube video going "HEY OFFICUR! LOOK AT ME -I GOTS A GUN" and carrying on like an idiot with half-informed attempts at being a side-walk Constitutional Law scholar? NO, Id just as soon have not drawn ANYONE's attention one way or the other, much less that of one cop having a crappy day who now has to deal with some bufoon ranting in the street and trying to make some kind of "statement".

Some food for thought for you to consider:
Setting aside what kind of cop (skill level, level of professionalism,etc.) a given officer might be, heck even setting aside what kind of PERSON said officer might be in OR out of uniform, or whatever reasons he/she may have chosen a given career path- the officer has a job to do. No matter how much we like/dislike that person OR that job- it's the simple reality of things, a fact of our life we have to contend with. No amount of resenting, hating, whining, or bitching on an interweb forum is going to change or correct any of that.

Now- with that in mind, consider what that officer has to deal with for x amount of hours on any given day. Our encounters with them-good,bad or indifferent, do not reveal to us what kind of crap that guy/gal may have had to deal with in the hours, or even days, prior to our own encounter (s). We have no idea how many douchebags that guy has had to see/deal with already- (druggies, crackheads, Natural Selectionists, mental midgets, et al.) or, how many potentially life-threatening situations they may have been in.
Now, along comes yet another asshat. Only this one is armed.That should ratchet up the potential danger of the encounter-depending on how the asshat is carrying himself, and conducting himself, no?
Now, is it their own choice to subject themselves to these situations? Sure, to a point- just as it's our own choice to subject ourselves to whatever comes our way if we are acting like an idiot.

Last edited:

77zach

^^

On a related matter, my research and admittedly limited experience leads me to believe that it's city PD's that are the worst. I think we already knew that but the difference is marked. State police seem to be a lot better at respecting the 2nd amendment no matter where you are. Just two examples: the head of the state police in south carolina told the media he hopes the legislature passed constitutional carry there. In Fl, FHP did not testify against OC. There are many other examples. If you go to the washington forum, you can see the professional behavior (non reaction) of the WSP of OCers in the state Capitol building.

rmodel65

Georgia is a licensed open carry state just like maryland....if you OC without a license you get to go to jail for 1 year :/ on your first outing...the second time OCing without a license iirc is a felony...

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
Am I inclined to be the retard on a youtube video going "HEY OFFICUR! LOOK AT ME -I GOTS A GUN" and carrying on like an idiot with half-informed attempts at being a side-walk Constitutional Law scholar? NO, Id just as soon have not drawn ANYONE's attention one way or the other, much less that of one cop having a crappy day who now has to deal with some bufoon ranting in the street and trying to make some kind of "statement".

There is very little of this going on. I carry a recorder to protect myself from the most common thug. The thug I have had more experiences with than any other thug by far. The thug in uniform. The ratio is over 20:1. Taht is, for every 20 thugs in uniforms I've had to deal with, I've had only one thug not in a uniform that I had to deal with. And the ones not in a uniform were much easier to handle and be done with.

Setting aside what kind of cop (skill level, level of professionalism,etc.) a given officer might be, heck even setting aside what kind of PERSON said officer might be in OR out of uniform, or whatever reasons he/she may have chosen a given career path- the officer has a job to do. No matter how much we like/dislike that person OR that job- it's the simple reality of things, a fact of our life we have to contend with. No amount of resenting, hating, whining, or bitching on an interweb forum is going to change or correct any of that.

If said LEO can't handle the heat, he should get out of the kitchen.

Now- with that in mind, consider what that officer has to deal with for x amount of hours on any given day. Our encounters with them-good,bad or indifferent, do not reveal to us what kind of crap that guy/gal may have had to deal with in the hours, or even days, prior to our own encounter (s). We have no idea how many douchebags that guy has had to see/deal with already- (druggies, crackheads, Natural Selectionists, mental midgets, et al.) or, how many potentially life-threatening situations they may have been in.

Now, along comes yet another asshat. Only this one is armed.That should ratchet up the potential danger of the encounter-depending on how the asshat is carrying himself, and conducting himself, no?

Potential? So now you get to effect arrests and detainments based on what someone else did? If ever there were a job where that kind of thinking were unacceptable, LE is it! "Gosh, well that last black guy had 2oz of weed, so I'm just going to arrest this one, too."

You're highlighting the problem, so we know you understand it. Why are you putting it forward as an excuse? If I rape someone, maybe they should arrest you for it?

Now, is it their own choice to subject themselves to these situations? Sure, to a point- just as it's our own choice to subject ourselves to whatever comes our way if we are acting like an idiot.

If upholding the Constitution is too much to ask of them, then they need to find a different job.

I agree, it's definitely got to be difficult to keep that separation. There is difference between learning from your experiences, and letting them cloud your judgement.

I would have made a damn good cop; but good cops aren't what they want. The training and selection process is blatant in this regard.

Last edited:

Jojo712

Founder's Club Member
J4l: That sounds like a good time. I'm glad you enjoyed it. It's good to see you're still here.

Regarding ADulay's statement, the more I look at it the more it seems as if open carry is being held back by city folks, and legislators who answer to those cities. A couple of months ago (I realize I haven't been on much: all sorts of issues) I bumped into the monstrous Debbie Wasserman Schultz. Of all places, she was at a gun show, attempting to obtain signatures for "sensible" gun control. Along with giving her a piece of my mind, I also had all of the vendors I knew at the show give he a visit and express their views. Regardless, it left me with that taste: elected officials from very populated places, whether they have an R or a D after their names, are going to vote "nay" for open carry, and are going to capitulate on anything that may emasculate bills pertinent to open carry.

My wife's got a house and a few acres in Ocala, and the political impotence that I feel in Miami-Dade & Broward is they type of thing that I know I wouldn't experience there. I'm beginning to like Ocala more and more.

I don't know if Ixtow moved, but if he did I wouldn't go his route: I'd stay in Florida, find a friendlier place, and spread some wisdom from there.

Maybe it's just the pain meds talking, but most of Florida is almost perfect except for this one issue.

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
Maybe it's just the pain meds talking, but most of Florida is almost perfect except for this one issue.

This, and the insane building code... Florida humidity, hurricanes, termites. But the building code forces one to build easily blown-away structures with the internal works designed to incubate mold as best as possible.... Math, Science, and Common Sense are illegal, whenever Building is concerned. It is the most ass-backwards extreme degree of the "Lightbulb Conspiracy" the world has ever seen.... A little common sense and we wouldn't have these insurance problems... But how do you fleece the population like that?

Last edited:

77zach

My wife's got a house and a few acres in Ocala, and the political impotence that I feel in Miami-Dade & Broward is they type of thing that I know I wouldn't experience there. I'm beginning to like Ocala more and more.

I really like it in marion county. It centrally located and in close proximity to wonderful rivers/springs. The political problems follow us concerning OC though. Political problems still follow you here though. Dean is my senator. Puke!

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
I really like it in marion county. It centrally located and in close proximity to wonderful rivers/springs. The political problems follow us concerning OC though. Political problems still follow you here though. Dean is my senator. Puke!

The Marion/Citrus/Alachua area is festooned with neo-con gun snobs... The are is nice, but the people... Bleh. If you're not on meth, beer for breakfast, or own a dozen horses that cost more than your house, you just don't fit in. If you can spell or have more than 5 teeth, forget employment... If you've never reproduced with your immediate family, well, where the hell are you from anyway? The political problems are a direct reflection of the people... They want it this way.

Last edited:

Rich7553

J4l: I bumped into the monstrous Debbie Wasserman Schultz. Of all places, she was at a gun show, attempting to obtain signatures for "sensible" gun control.

I just don't get Jews who favor gun control. With all they've gone through, especially during the Nazi regime, it seems to me that a Jew who supports gun control is like a chicken who roots for Colonel Sanders.

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
I just don't get Jews who favor gun control. With all they've gone through, especially during the Nazi regime, it seems to me that a Jew who supports gun control is like a chicken who roots for Colonel Sanders.

I have a 1911a4 with "Never Forget" stamped in Hebrew on it.... I show it to Liberal Jews... They have nothing to say. I think Oleg Volk has a picture of his own...

j4l

That is a bit odd. I never understood that in NY with my Jewish colleagues. And if asked to explain their logic, they never really could..