Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SIG Platinum Elite P229 over my glock?

SIG Platinum Elite P229 over my glock?

So this weekend I was looking to trade in my Taurus 1911 for a Sig 1911... while browsing sig's website I saw the Sig Platinum Elite P229 in .40 and 9mm. Now I fear I might come home with one of these to carry, but there is a problem. I am a hard core Glock fan boy. This thing looks so sexy... I'm afraid I may fall in love with it and leave my precious glocks at home... WHAT TO DO!?!?!

Or stick with a 1911?

DILEMMA

Every time I buy a 1911 I sell it months later because I just can't afford to shoot it...but then I realize...I have to have one... I bought one in 9mm just for cheaper shooting, but I won't carry a 9 round 9mm handgun, so that's all it's in the safe for. I might as well get a .22LR 1911, but .22 just isn't fun to shoot.... Maybe I'll trade in both the .45 and the 9mm PT 1911s....

EDIT:

Not being a "Sig" guy, I realized the P226 is the same thing but longer....WHAT TO DO!?
    Last edited by Schlitz; 10-29-2011 at 01:07 AM.
    “The claim and exercise of a constitutional right cannot be converted into a crime.”
    [Miller vs. U.S., 230 F. Supp. 486, 489 (1956)]
    “There can be no sanction or penalty imposed upon one because of his exercise of constitutional rights.”
    [Sherar vs. Cullen, 481 F2d. 946 (1973)]

Keep at least one 1911 in .45. If you don't have a 1911 in .45 then you are not a real gun owner. (yes, this is a fact, cite not required) That Sig looks pretty nice, but if you're just buying it for looks I wouldn't go for it. There are a lot of cheaper and good quality 9mm and .40 out there. But you like Glocks, so I doubt any of what I wrote above will make sense to you...
    Last edited by thebigsd; 10-28-2011 at 11:09 PM.
    "When seconds count between living or dying, the police are only minutes away."

It may sound childish, but most of my purchases are based on looks... I don't buy ugly guns. Lol

For the record, the Glock is beautiful in my eyes.

sent from my phone, excuse my grammar/spelling errors
    “The claim and exercise of a constitutional right cannot be converted into a crime.”
    “There can be no sanction or penalty imposed upon one because of his exercise of constitutional rights.”

Dude, those Sigs are intercourse!

The Sig 1911 looks like the C3, it has an officer sized frame with a commander sized slide (4.25" barrel).

I just picked up a Kimber Pro BP Ten. It's a double stack (14 rounds), polymer frame 1911, chambered in .45 ACP, of course. It's the 4 inch barrel model. Blasphemy, I know....

I would rather have either of the 2 Sigs you listed than the plastic Kimber 1911.

Schlitz must have a good job, they hiring? lol
    Last edited by carsontech; 10-28-2011 at 11:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by carsontech View Post
    Dude, those Sigs are sex!
    Sex, not to be confused with sexy. lol

Yea I feel you, the only plastic gun I'm interested in is the Glock. Any sig or 1911 I get I want to be steel.
    Last edited by Schlitz; 10-28-2011 at 11:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by carsontech View Post
    The Sig 1911 looks like the C3, it has an office sized frame
    Office sized frame, not to confused with a cubicle sized frame.

Oh, how Schlitz and I love typos

Fixed.

Oh, and

Last edited by carsontech; 10-29-2011 at 01:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by thebigsd View Post
    Office sized frame, not to confused with a cubicle sized frame.

Oh, how Schlitz and I love typos
    I didn't even catch that the first time lol. nice. OFFICE SIZED FRAME 1911 HOWITZER EDITION

Hey back on topic. help me out here, 1911 or the platinum elite P229?

on a side note, does anyone know if you can put a .40 barrel in a 9mm P229? I'm pretty sure you can go down from .40 to 9mm like in glocks, but if I get a p229 in 9mm, can I go up to .40???
    Last edited by Schlitz; 10-28-2011 at 11:58 PM.

On a serious note, I would personally go with a 1911. There are lots of 1911 choices out there. You can accessorize them, aftermarket parts are available, grip choices are endless. They are easy to modify to user needs. Holster choices are endless. I love 1911s, I have four of them.
    Last edited by thebigsd; 10-29-2011 at 12:01 AM.

I didn't even notice the Sig P226 is the same thing but a bit bigger... I'm gunna have to feel both of these tomorrow.

The 229 is nice, but I would probably rather have a 1911. I am also a glock fan but since I like to reload for target rounds it's nice to have a few other choices for shooting the cast lead bullets. I know I could buy a lone wolf barrel, I just have never gotten around to it.
    If Obama is the answer; how stupid was the question?

You can't put a .40 barrel in a 9mm 229. You can, however, drop in a .357SIG barrel into a .40 (and use the same mags). For 9mm in that platform, you would use an aftermarket 9mm barrel such as a Barstow or Fire Dragon, not the SIG factory barrel (dimensions are wrong). Add a .22 conversion kit and you've got four calibers on one frame. (even more, if you want to get crazy and try something like the 17/357 RG http://www.realguns.com/archives/101.htm
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	frmd17357csses.jpg 
Views:	229 
Size:	44.9 KB 
ID:	7241

The 229 is my daily carry, love them.
    Last edited by zoom6zoom; 10-29-2011 at 11:00 AM.

I agree with what someone else said about the 1911-to be a true gun owner, you need one. That being said, that 229 is an astoundingly beautiful gun-but to be honest, it was made for the .357 SIG round. If it were me, I'd get it in .357 SIG and get a 9mm conversion for it.

Still, at some point you need a .45 ACP 1911.
    "Anyone worth shooting once is worth shooting twice." -Zeus

"Someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back!" - Malcolm Reynolds

EDC = Walther PPQ 9mm

well I went to the gun show today (yesterday technically), and found a Sig 1911....but I wanted to see the Sig 229 Platinum elite in my hand before making a purchase.

I did manage to sell my PT1911 .45 in the parking lot when leaving the gun show.

I'm a huge SIG fan. The 229 is actually The gun I have has always wanted. I just can't afford it, so I got the SP2022 .40 instead. I still plan on getting a 229 eventually. You won't be disappointed. I do agree with the others on having at least one 1911 in .45 though. Man what a dilemma you got on your hands.

Quote Originally Posted by SigGuy23 View Post
    I'm a huge SIG fan. The 229 is actually The gun I have has always wanted. I just can't afford it, so I got the SP2022 .40 instead. I still plan on getting a 229 eventually. You won't be disappointed. I do agree with the others on having at least one 1911 in .45 though. Man what a dilemma you got on your hands.
    Sold the Taurus .45 1911. Just didn't feel right. But I have a PT1911 in 9mm that is solid like a rock.

I think I'm going to go with the P229.... the gun show today had crap for sigs so I'll probably end up ordering it online.
    Last edited by Schlitz; 10-30-2011 at 02:20 AM.

So you sold the PT1911, eh? I have been wanting a PT1911AL just to have a cheaper alloy framed 1911 that I wont be too upset about if it gets scratched up or confiscated if I have to use it. I hate that stupid lock system they have on them, though, it looks fugly sitting on the hammer.

I've seen the "problems" you've had with yours, IIRC, and I don't blame you for selling it.

I don't think you can go wrong with a Sig, good luck with that.
    Last edited by carsontech; 10-30-2011 at 03:08 AM.

I'm done carrying Taurus products. They have disappointed me almost every purchase and I've given them PLENTY of chances to proves themselves.

If you carry a Taurus you're rolling the ******* dice. I get to say this, not as a Taurus basher who never owned one (like you see all over the internet), but as someone who's bought more of them than I can count on one hand. Yes they do honor their warranty, but if I have to use it on NIB guns on multiple occasions (get home from the store and find something broken) then I want nothing to do with them. My PT1911 9mm is where my Taurus ownership stops. It's solid as a rock, but even that was returned NIB for repairs.

sent from my phone, excuse my grammar/spelling errors

I love my Sig P220 Stainless Elite more than any 1911 I have owned. I have owned Colt, Springfield and Para 1911's.

The P229 or P226 should be a similiar experience to my P220. It is just as accurate as a 5" 1911 and is easier to breakdown and clean.

I do fancy the all stainless models and like their additional weight when shooting.

Personally I would go with the P226 if you are going 9mm it has 15rounds in the magazine vs 13 for the P229 (other than extended mags 3rd party). I guess there may be factory extended mags too but don't know of them off hand.

Here is a pic of my P220:

If you get a Sig I think you will love it. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	p220-8rnd-80.jpg 
Views:	344 
Size:	97.4 KB 
ID:	7246

Quote Originally Posted by 45acpForMe View Post
    I love my Sig P220 Stainless Elite more than any 1911 I have owned. I have owned Colt, Springfield and Para 1911's.
    How do you feel about the DA to SA trigger? is it THAT noticeable? does it make your first shot trash?

Quote Originally Posted by Schlitz View Post
    How do you feel about the DA to SA trigger? is it THAT noticeable? does it make your first shot trash?
    I prefer DA/SA triggers over the 1911 5-6lb trigger but a nice 4lb 1911 trigger would be great.

The first shot is a bit harder but I noticed that during competitions the adrenaline make it less noticeable. I very much like the 4.4lb SA trigger after that first shot.

My preference is to have the DA trigger heavier and no additional thumb safety. While I can be comfortable with a thumb safety I have on occassion forgot to take it off and my high grip has pushed it on during shooting. So for simplicity I trust myself more with the DA/SA than any gun with a thumb safety.

That said it is only personal preference. If you haven't shot one find a range that rents them and see how you like it. I find the non-stainless (lighter) models have a more noticeable muzzle flip than the heavier stainless I prefer.

I'm noticing 229's with different extractors. Can anyone tell me why or what the difference is?

big

small

I was just about to order one of these but after seeing what appears to be a pretty big difference, I need to know before I buy.
    Last edited by Schlitz; 10-30-2011 at 07:33 PM.

bump - anyone? I'm ready to order this baby right now, but this is the only thing I'm hung up on! Which one is the latest version? Google has failed me so far.

EDIT: my self bump appears to be a failure.
    Last edited by Schlitz; 10-30-2011 at 08:59 PM.

This isn't official documentation, but this may help in your search:

"A short time back, Sig introduced an E2 version of their P229/6 series pistols. Distinguishing features are a short trigger, a short reset trigger, an enhanced grip (read smaller and shorter reach to the trigger), a slimmer slide with a long external extractor (don't know why all guns don't have long extractors), and a slightly new frame."

http://www.defensivecarry.com/forum/...nge-today.html

"The Sig 229/6 E2 has been out for quite a while; I have one and bought it quite a while back. As I understand it, Sig is changing the classic 229 to an E2 grip, which means there will no longer be a Sig classic 229 with the traditional grip. All new 229s, i.e. 9mm, will be built on a 229 .40 cal frame which has a wider magazine well which will accommodate two more 9mm rounds. All frames will have the E2 grip. It will be marketed as the P229/226 sans the E2. Which means they will discontinue the E2 since the modified classic will have the E2 grip.

Again, as I understand it right now, the new 'classic' 229 9mm will have the E2 slide which is thinner than the classic and it will have the long external extractor instead of the short extractor currently used. I'm unclear how this will affect the 226 other than the E2 style grip.

The true E2s as introduced, came with the SRT package and short reach trigger. As I understand it, the 'new' classics will not have the SRT but can be converted to the SRT package."

http://www.defensivecarry.com/forum/...ml#post1916964
    Last edited by carsontech; 10-30-2011 at 09:34 PM.

I'm not sure if any one has a benefit over the other. my main concern is buying replacement parts. which one is more common? the crazy long extractor all the way down the slide? Or the tiny glock like extractor?

I also noticed the one with the extractor going all the way back has bigger cocking serrations

EDIT: uh, i just thaid "cocking therrations" huhuhuuhuhuuhuuhuhuhuu

EDIT 2: A little update, from what I've been reading now it would appear the long extractor is the latest version. can anyone in the know verify this?

EDIT 3: I guess the only way to get a clear answer is to call SigSauer tomorrow. Interwebs...you have failed me...
    Last edited by Schlitz; 10-30-2011 at 11:20 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast