• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

SIG Platinum Elite P229 over my glock?

45acpForMe

How do you feel about the DA to SA trigger? is it THAT noticeable? does it make your first shot trash?

I prefer DA/SA triggers over the 1911 5-6lb trigger but a nice 4lb 1911 trigger would be great.

The first shot is a bit harder but I noticed that during competitions the adrenaline make it less noticeable. I very much like the 4.4lb SA trigger after that first shot.

My preference is to have the DA trigger heavier and no additional thumb safety. While I can be comfortable with a thumb safety I have on occassion forgot to take it off and my high grip has pushed it on during shooting. So for simplicity I trust myself more with the DA/SA than any gun with a thumb safety.

That said it is only personal preference. If you haven't shot one find a range that rents them and see how you like it. I find the non-stainless (lighter) models have a more noticeable muzzle flip than the heavier stainless I prefer.

RetiredOC

Campaign Veteran
I'm noticing 229's with different extractors. Can anyone tell me why or what the difference is?

big
pix207622158.jpg

small
e29r-40-pse1.JPG

I was just about to order one of these but after seeing what appears to be a pretty big difference, I need to know before I buy.

Last edited:

RetiredOC

Campaign Veteran
bump - anyone? I'm ready to order this baby right now, but this is the only thing I'm hung up on! Which one is the latest version? Google has failed me so far.

EDIT: my self bump appears to be a failure.

Last edited:

carsontech

Activist Member
This isn't official documentation, but this may help in your search:

"A short time back, Sig introduced an E2 version of their P229/6 series pistols. Distinguishing features are a short trigger, a short reset trigger, an enhanced grip (read smaller and shorter reach to the trigger), a slimmer slide with a long external extractor (don't know why all guns don't have long extractors), and a slightly new frame."

http://www.defensivecarry.com/forum/defensive-carry-guns/123217-got-shoot-new-p229-range-today.html

"The Sig 229/6 E2 has been out for quite a while; I have one and bought it quite a while back. As I understand it, Sig is changing the classic 229 to an E2 grip, which means there will no longer be a Sig classic 229 with the traditional grip. All new 229s, i.e. 9mm, will be built on a 229 .40 cal frame which has a wider magazine well which will accommodate two more 9mm rounds. All frames will have the E2 grip. It will be marketed as the P229/226 sans the E2. Which means they will discontinue the E2 since the modified classic will have the E2 grip.

Again, as I understand it right now, the new 'classic' 229 9mm will have the E2 slide which is thinner than the classic and it will have the long external extractor instead of the short extractor currently used. I'm unclear how this will affect the 226 other than the E2 style grip.

The true E2s as introduced, came with the SRT package and short reach trigger. As I understand it, the 'new' classics will not have the SRT but can be converted to the SRT package."

http://www.defensivecarry.com/forum/defensive-carry-guns/103384-anyone-shot-new-sig-p226-p229-e2.html#post1916964

Last edited:

RetiredOC

Campaign Veteran
I'm not sure if any one has a benefit over the other. my main concern is buying replacement parts. which one is more common? the crazy long extractor all the way down the slide? Or the tiny glock like extractor?

I also noticed the one with the extractor going all the way back has bigger cocking serrations

EDIT: uh, i just thaid "cocking therrations" huhuhuuhuhuuhuuhuhuhuu

beavis-and-butthead.jpg

EDIT 2: A little update, from what I've been reading now it would appear the long extractor is the latest version. can anyone in the know verify this?

EDIT 3: I guess the only way to get a clear answer is to call SigSauer tomorrow. Interwebs...you have failed me...

Last edited:

carsontech

Activist Member
"On the TV series, Butthead and Beavis respectively wear AC/DC and Metallica shirts. But for legal reasons, the captions are changed in most show memorabilia (including DVD cover art). The altered shirts say "Skull" and "Death Rock," respectively by Butthead and Beavis. However, in one episode, Beavis is seen wearing a Slayer shirt."

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0105950/trivia

RetiredOC

Campaign Veteran
Well I talked to sig on the phone and 'Ray' told me, "well uh, I think uh, the best way to find out which is the latest model is to look at the date on the box, but uh, the slides changed in January, so uh, i think the one with the longer extractor is going to be the latest one"

He didn't sound very confident, but I guess it's the only thing I have to go on.

Last edited:

Jared

I didn't even catch that the first time lol. nice. OFFICE SIZED FRAME 1911 HOWITZER EDITION

Hey back on topic. help me out here, 1911 or the platinum elite P229?

on a side note, does anyone know if you can put a .40 barrel in a 9mm P229? I'm pretty sure you can go down from .40 to 9mm like in glocks, but if I get a p229 in 9mm, can I go up to .40???

You are thinking of the P250. You can change it from a .357 sig to a .40

Guns are all about preference and what works for you. When people argue about who makes a better gun (there are truths to a small degree) it's like saying what sports team is better.

This is coming from someone who owns MANY 1911's (Wilson, Les Baer, Springfield, Kimber, Colt, Dan Wesson)

My glock 20 and 29 are great and reliable (G20 is an outdoor backpack gun for me)

As far as quality and failures and all that jazz, you will find that Sigs (non-1911 models) and Glocks are reliable and can take a hell of a beating.

If you are talking about a carry gun, who cares if it's pretty, get what works for you and what will almost never fail.

RetiredOC

Campaign Veteran
I bought the 229 platinum elite in .40. Pics will be up when I get it in a couple days

sent from my phone, excuse my grammar/spelling errors

tim12232

PICS!!????

I am trying to decide right now between the sig 226 enhanced elite or the 229 enhanced elite.....

Sigs are very cool, I am glad to be getting my first one!

Tim

ForceofWill

I carry a P220 Elite Carry Dark and love it, but I wish I would have gotten the Platinum. It's just so freaking sexy. I'm gonna see if Sig will at least sell me the platinum grips.

carsontech

Activist Member
Internet%2BHigh-Five.jpg

Nice! You're a regular John Woo.

I know what you mean about getting use to the DA/SA deal. I just traded my Kimber for a Sig 220 yesterday morning. Yay for Walmart parking lots.

The only thing I've ever owned that was DA/SA was a Bersa. But that was many guns ago. Since then it's been 1911's, Glocks, DOA Sigs, and Keltecs for BUGs. When I got it home, it felt really weird when testing in DA and SA modes. I think I'm going to like it, though. This Sig is the smoothest gun I've ever had. It seems to be much higher quality than my Kimber was. When I rack the slide, its so freaking smooth compared to all other guns I've ever owned.

Last edited:

tim12232

A couple months later -

I've had 0 malfunctions from the P229 platinum elite in .40SW. However, I don't know if I like going from DA to SA. I feel like in a stressful situation if I needed to draw and shoot that DA pull throws me off.

With my Glock, I'm used to using the pad of my finger to shoot. With the sig, I need my whole finger to get that trigger back in DA, which makes me less accurate on that first shot.

I want to love this sig, I want it to be my favorite (especially since it was the price of 2 glocks....i could have gone akimbo Glock 22s for this price), but the trigger really bothers me in DA.

With that said, it is a good gun. Adjustable night sights are pretty sweet, good cocking serrations, and the short reset trigger is nice. Oh, and don't forget that comfortable beaver tail. I do love that feature.

I know exactly what you are talking about! I ended up with the SIG p229 enhanced elite 9mm. I have worked it at the range going DA/SA I feel pretty comfortable, its an amazing gun and I really really like it, but I dont feel like I love it. I dont really want to get rid of it because even with my pretty good deal, after tax it was still just a tit over a thousand. I could have bought a G17 and a G21 pretty much! I want to keep it, because it looks awesome :D:uhoh: but I want it to be that gun I feel as comfortable with as my gen4 G19.

Good Luck, keep us posted on any decisions, I will be interested.

tim12232

Internet%2BHigh-Five.jpg

Nice! You're a regular John Woo.

I know what you mean about getting use to the DA/SA deal. I just traded my Kimber for a Sig 220 yesterday morning. Yay for Walmart parking lots.

The only thing I've ever owned that was DA/SA was a Bersa. But that was many guns ago. Since then it's been 1911's, Glocks, DOA Sigs, and Keltecs for BUGs. When I got it home, it felt really weird when testing in DA and SA modes. I think I'm going to like it, though. This Sig is the smoothest gun I've ever had. It seems to be much higher quality than my Kimber was. When I rack the slide, its so freaking smooth compared to all other guns I've ever owned.

I gave you the high 5 you asked for! HAHA :D

Just try slathering that thing up with the Mil-Comm TW-25b "Sigs official recommended synth grease"
Although I feel Im in the same boat with Schlitz, I have to agree with the way a Sig feels when you rack the slide! its that top 3 thing gun sounds. You know the sound of 1911 racking back, the sound of a glock, and the sound of a sig, they are unique but different like fingerprints!.....Ill Stop Now!!

oak1971

I have 2 Elite stainless models P220 and P226. Heavier than the Platinum which has the aluminum frame. My guns come in close to 40oz and feel very solid in the hand. The first double action pull doesn't upset me a bit and after that its all single action tack driving bliss. If there is a downside its not the weight so much as the "chunkiness" I could only carry one outside the waistband.

RetiredOC

Campaign Veteran
I have 2 Elite stainless models P220 and P226. Heavier than the Platinum which has the aluminum frame. My guns come in close to 40oz and feel very solid in the hand. The first double action pull doesn't upset me a bit and after that its all single action tack driving bliss. If there is a downside its not the weight so much as the "chunkiness" I could only carry one outside the waistband.

Don't get me wrong, it is a solid gun. I LOVE the look, LOVE the feel, LOVE the weight, even LOVE the "chunkiness. I understand it's SA bliss after that first shot, but (thinking carry/self defense) I don't plan on getting into a shoot out where I fire more than 2-3 shots, so that first DA shot is pretty important to me. From what I've seen in the news through out life, most self defense situations are over with a couple shots. I need that first one to count and that second one to be right on. I feel more comfortable doing a double tap with my GP100 .357 mag than I do with the DA/SA Sig .40SW.

Today after pondering on it I was thinking about maybe selling/trading it for the platinum elite Sig1911...but then I put it in my hand and I don't think I can sell it. Not my favorite carry piece (for now), but I don't think it's going anywhere.

One thing I think is worth mentioning, the finish on the barrel was a little 'meh' for a $1,000 gun. Specifically around the chamber area where it states the caliber. The finish looked like crap, worn. Not that it has effected the firearm in anyway...I just thought for 1k it would be a bit more...you know...ELITE. lol

45acpForMe

As far as DA/SA goes Sig's DA trigger pull is about 10lbs as opposed to many other manufacturers out there that seem to employ more lawyers than gunsmiths that up their DA pull to something too high.

I like my Sig's for many reasons and not having an external safety I consider the DA heavier pull to be a safety. Adrenaline will make that first pull easier as well as could accidentally cause a lighter pull to go off earlier than desired.

With that said yes I would prefer the first pull to be 8lbs. ;-)