• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

SIG Platinum Elite P229 over my glock?

RetiredOC

Campaign Veteran
So this weekend I was looking to trade in my Taurus 1911 for a Sig 1911... while browsing sig's website I saw the Sig Platinum Elite P229 in .40 and 9mm. Now I fear I might come home with one of these to carry, but there is a problem. I am a hard core Glock fan boy. This thing looks so sexy... I'm afraid I may fall in love with it and leave my precious glocks at home... WHAT TO DO!?!?!

3619477791_8e091da869_o.jpg

Or stick with a 1911?
015.JPG

DILEMMA

Every time I buy a 1911 I sell it months later because I just can't afford to shoot it...but then I realize...I have to have one... I bought one in 9mm just for cheaper shooting, but I won't carry a 9 round 9mm handgun, so that's all it's in the safe for. I might as well get a .22LR 1911, but .22 just isn't fun to shoot.... Maybe I'll trade in both the .45 and the 9mm PT 1911s....

EDIT:
P226-Plat-Elite-detail-L.jpg

Not being a "Sig" guy, I realized the P226 is the same thing but longer....WHAT TO DO!?

Last edited:

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
Keep at least one 1911 in .45. If you don't have a 1911 in .45 then you are not a real gun owner. (yes, this is a fact, cite not required) That Sig looks pretty nice, but if you're just buying it for looks I wouldn't go for it. There are a lot of cheaper and good quality 9mm and .40 out there. But you like Glocks, so I doubt any of what I wrote above will make sense to you...:D

Last edited:

RetiredOC

Campaign Veteran
It may sound childish, but most of my purchases are based on looks... I don't buy ugly guns. Lol

For the record, the Glock is beautiful in my eyes. ;)

sent from my phone, excuse my grammar/spelling errors

carsontech

Activist Member
Dude, those Sigs are intercourse!

The Sig 1911 looks like the C3, it has an officer sized frame with a commander sized slide (4.25" barrel).

I just picked up a Kimber Pro BP Ten. It's a double stack (14 rounds), polymer frame 1911, chambered in .45 ACP, of course. It's the 4 inch barrel model. Blasphemy, I know....

I would rather have either of the 2 Sigs you listed than the plastic Kimber 1911.

Schlitz must have a good job, they hiring? lol

Last edited:

RetiredOC

Campaign Veteran
Office sized frame, not to confused with a cubicle sized frame.

Oh, how Schlitz and I love typos:D

I didn't even catch that the first time lol. nice. OFFICE SIZED FRAME 1911 HOWITZER EDITION

Hey back on topic. help me out here, 1911 or the platinum elite P229?

on a side note, does anyone know if you can put a .40 barrel in a 9mm P229? I'm pretty sure you can go down from .40 to 9mm like in glocks, but if I get a p229 in 9mm, can I go up to .40???

Last edited:

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
On a serious note, I would personally go with a 1911. There are lots of 1911 choices out there. You can accessorize them, aftermarket parts are available, grip choices are endless. They are easy to modify to user needs. Holster choices are endless. I love 1911s, I have four of them.

Last edited:

RetiredOC

Campaign Veteran
I didn't even notice the Sig P226 is the same thing but a bit bigger... I'm gunna have to feel both of these tomorrow.

tcmech

The 229 is nice, but I would probably rather have a 1911. I am also a glock fan but since I like to reload for target rounds it's nice to have a few other choices for shooting the cast lead bullets. I know I could buy a lone wolf barrel, I just have never gotten around to it.

zoom6zoom

You can't put a .40 barrel in a 9mm 229. You can, however, drop in a .357SIG barrel into a .40 (and use the same mags). For 9mm in that platform, you would use an aftermarket 9mm barrel such as a Barstow or Fire Dragon, not the SIG factory barrel (dimensions are wrong). Add a .22 conversion kit and you've got four calibers on one frame. (even more, if you want to get crazy and try something like the 17/357 RG http://www.realguns.com/archives/101.htm
frmd17357csses.jpg

The 229 is my daily carry, love them.

Last edited:

SovereignAxe

I agree with what someone else said about the 1911-to be a true gun owner, you need one. That being said, that 229 is an astoundingly beautiful gun-but to be honest, it was made for the .357 SIG round. If it were me, I'd get it in .357 SIG and get a 9mm conversion for it.

Still, at some point you need a .45 ACP 1911.

RetiredOC

Campaign Veteran
well I went to the gun show today (yesterday technically), and found a Sig 1911....but I wanted to see the Sig 229 Platinum elite in my hand before making a purchase.

I did manage to sell my PT1911 .45 in the parking lot when leaving the gun show.

SigGuy23

Activist Member
I'm a huge SIG fan. The 229 is actually The gun I have has always wanted. I just can't afford it, so I got the SP2022 .40 instead. I still plan on getting a 229 eventually. You won't be disappointed. I do agree with the others on having at least one 1911 in .45 though. Man what a dilemma you got on your hands.

RetiredOC

Campaign Veteran
I'm a huge SIG fan. The 229 is actually The gun I have has always wanted. I just can't afford it, so I got the SP2022 .40 instead. I still plan on getting a 229 eventually. You won't be disappointed. I do agree with the others on having at least one 1911 in .45 though. Man what a dilemma you got on your hands.

Sold the Taurus .45 1911. Just didn't feel right. But I have a PT1911 in 9mm that is solid like a rock.

I think I'm going to go with the P229.... the gun show today had crap for sigs so I'll probably end up ordering it online.

Last edited:

carsontech

Activist Member
So you sold the PT1911, eh? I have been wanting a PT1911AL just to have a cheaper alloy framed 1911 that I wont be too upset about if it gets scratched up or confiscated if I have to use it. I hate that stupid lock system they have on them, though, it looks fugly sitting on the hammer.

I've seen the "problems" you've had with yours, IIRC, and I don't blame you for selling it.

I don't think you can go wrong with a Sig, good luck with that.

Last edited:

RetiredOC

Campaign Veteran
I'm done carrying Taurus products. They have disappointed me almost every purchase and I've given them PLENTY of chances to proves themselves.

If you carry a Taurus you're rolling the ******* dice. I get to say this, not as a Taurus basher who never owned one (like you see all over the internet), but as someone who's bought more of them than I can count on one hand. Yes they do honor their warranty, but if I have to use it on NIB guns on multiple occasions (get home from the store and find something broken) then I want nothing to do with them. My PT1911 9mm is where my Taurus ownership stops. It's solid as a rock, but even that was returned NIB for repairs.

sent from my phone, excuse my grammar/spelling errors

45acpForMe

I love my Sig P220 Stainless Elite more than any 1911 I have owned. I have owned Colt, Springfield and Para 1911's.

The P229 or P226 should be a similiar experience to my P220. It is just as accurate as a 5" 1911 and is easier to breakdown and clean.

I do fancy the all stainless models and like their additional weight when shooting.

Personally I would go with the P226 if you are going 9mm it has 15rounds in the magazine vs 13 for the P229 (other than extended mags 3rd party). I guess there may be factory extended mags too but don't know of them off hand.

Here is a pic of my P220:

If you get a Sig I think you will love it. p220-8rnd-80.jpg

RetiredOC

Campaign Veteran
I love my Sig P220 Stainless Elite more than any 1911 I have owned. I have owned Colt, Springfield and Para 1911's.

How do you feel about the DA to SA trigger? is it THAT noticeable? does it make your first shot trash?