• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Its A Brave New World

MilProGuy

Yes, I read that account, as you can tell from my response.

It was very encouraging.

Last edited:

Brimstone Baritone

We're having a similar time in Alabama. We also have people who choose to limit the OC they do until the atmosphere improves. There's nothing wrong with that.

The way I see it, OC (especially in places like Alabama and, apparently, Mississippi) is a trade-off. You have less chance of being harassed by criminals, and more chance of being harassed by uninformed cops.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Please don't get the idea that this is a lecture, because it is not intended to be.

But for all the folks out there waiting for the atmosphere to improve, or the cops to get the memo I'd like to lnow how you expect that to happen?

Sure, it takes guts to do something new and different. It takes real guts to do something legal and new and different when you have reason to believe that someone out there may choose to make your day (and the following months/years) miserable just because they can. but if you don't do it, who will?

If you are sure in your mind that OC is legal, and you know how to walk without fingerf***ing your firearm every two minutes, then who cares (in the long view) what the cop on the corner feels about it? If you were right you will come out the other end not only feeling better about yourself but with the gratitude of the rest of the folks in your area/state. Oh, the financial compensation for having violated your rights might be enough to brighten your day when you step out of that tunnel.

If, on the other hand, you are not convinced OC is legal, then what are you doing to remedy that? Have you written your elected representatices? Have you met with them? Have you put suggested wording in theor hands so all they need to do is sign the form and drop it in the box of proposed legislation? Or if you cannot bring yourself to do that, have you joined and contributed to your state gun rights organization?

What? You say there is no state gun rights organization in your state? Whose fault is that?

These are the thoughts I get tired of thinking when I read someone's post about about not OCing because they think the atmosphere is not yet right, or that they heard that the cops may violate their rights.

I'll make a deal with anybody who might be responsible for me thinking these thoughts - if you will do something to improve the atmosphere or help the local cops understand that just because they do not like the idea they cannot trample your right to do something completely legal, then I will quit writing these long-winded skreeds.

stay safe.

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
SNIP If you are sure in your mind that OC is legal, and you know how to walk without fingerf***ing your firearm every two minutes, then who cares (in the long view) what the cop on the corner feels about it?

This may be the single greatest sentence ever written by Skid. It is dead on.

Brimstone Baritone

The problem with that is the tunnel is long and expensive. Everyone has to decide for themselves if the potential gains and losses are worth it, and I'm not going to begrudge someone for deciding they aren't. What I can't stand are the people who claim to support the RKBA, but actively work against open carry.

My personal opinion on the matter, is the best way to increase awareness and acceptance of OC is to just do it.

golddigger14s

Activist Member
I certainly would open carry if I knew it was legal in Mississippi to do so.

I read of others who open carry getting hassled by the police, handcuffed, arrested, etc., and I'm not willing to go down that road since I can legally conceal carry without any fear of reprisals by uninformed law enforcement officers, agencies, or municipalities.

After all, the reason I carry is for self defense; and the only difference between me an one who open carries is that my shirt tail is on the outside of my pants.

Should the day ever come in my neck of the woods when Mississippi citizens can openly carry a handgun without being persecuted or harrassed by the law enforcement community, I'll be jumping on the proverbial "band wagon".

Being a member of this forum is like a "college education" for me, as I learn something new everyday about open carry and the strides that are being made throughout the country.

It is Legal! Go to the OC maps!
http://opencarry.org/ms.html

tim12232

FIRST & FOREMOST GO STEELERS!
Second Welcome to OC or whatever our acronym is.
Thirdly, like others have said just give it the old elbow bump! I do it all the time, otherwise my OCD would have feeling it up more than Michael Jackson:eek::uhoh::monkey:banana:

Daylen

FIRST & FOREMOST GO STEELERS!
Second Welcome to OC or whatever our acronym is.
Thirdly, like others have said just give it the old elbow bump! I do it all the time, otherwise my OCD would have feeling it up more than Michael Jackson:eek::uhoh::monkey:banana:

Just use thunderware,(http://www.thunderwear.com/holsters.asp) that way there is no need to elbow bump, you can just readjust your pistol and noone will care.