• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC'ing on Militray Bases in and out of uniform. Not talking about an issued weapon!

shooter101

I first started OC'ing 8 years ago and had no issues with it... Since, every now and again I hear someone... but nothing really.... I don't notice when I throw my pistol on. It just feels right. I feel very uncomfortable without it. The only places I don't go is federal installations and places with large gatherings, then I just don't go accept to Fort Benning only because that's where I work.

I have been in the United States Army of 15 years and the thought of someone coming onto a Military base and doing what one did at FT. Hood absolutely gets my blood boiling. The reasons for carrying on a Military base will be argued for years too come.
I'm for it! If folks were carrying, it may have been prevented. You never know...

If your legal to carry in the civilian side then why would the military not trust me to exercise the same judgement? I'm not mad about it' just wondering!
V/R
Chris

Gohogs1

It seems strange that you take an oath to uphold the constitution but then they turn around and violate your second amendment right.

Brimstone Baritone

They do not have the authority to make the restrictions they have made. The supposed authority for base commanders to regulate carry on base is cited as 50 USC 797. This section reads, in part:
(2) Defense property security regulation described
For purposes of paragraph (1), a defense property security regulation is a property security regulation that, pursuant to lawful authority - (stuff about protecting persons, property, and equipment from damage, theft, or injury).

All we need is for someone to show that Congress had lawful authority to delegate the restriction of the right to bear arms to the DOD. Why can't anyone find that. I'm sure it's around somewhere. The government would never assume power that it didn't expressly have...

A decent thread about this subject can be found at Alabama Open Carry (and probably plenty of other places, too.)

Ruta #12

I first started OC'ing 8 years ago and had no issues with it... Since, every now and again I hear someone... but nothing really.... I don't notice when I throw my pistol on. It just feels right. I feel very uncomfortable without it. The only places I don't go is federal installations and places with large gatherings, then I just don't go accept to Fort Benning only because that's where I work.

I have been in the United States Army of 15 years and the thought of someone coming onto a Military base and doing what one did at FT. Hood absolutely gets my blood boiling. The reasons for carrying on a Military base will be argued for years too come.
I'm for it! If folks were carrying, it may have been prevented. You never know...

If your legal to carry in the civilian side then why would the military not trust me to exercise the same judgement? I'm not mad about it' just wondering!
V/R
Chris

I never understood the reasoning for this either. Down here in K Bay you can check your personal weapon into the armory, but can't carry it oc/cc. Military members can get a GA weapons license by just providing a copy of orders and paying the fee. But when it comes to base regardless of what license or quals you may have your personal weapons aren't allowed. Like Chris said, the situation at Hood may have been stopped sooner if members were authorized to carry. I always tell my guys the most dangerous threat is one from the inside.

hermannr

Private weapons on a military base are strictly the purview of the Command. They can allow/disallow on their base anything they want. While most bases are quite restrictive, some or not...depends on the commander.

Fallschirjmäger

Look on the bright side, with a military ID you are covered under the same statute as law enforcement as regards to weapons carry; you don't even need a GWL.
16-11-130
(a) Code Sections 16-11-126 through 16-11-127.2 shall not apply to or affect any of the following persons if such persons are employed in the offices listed below or when authorized by federal or state law, regulations, or order:
(3) Persons in the military service of the state or of the United States;

Ruta #12

That is true, don't get me wrong I like the military exemption but you should see some of the military members that handle weapons. It's scary when they can't pass the navy's qualifications but can go pick up a permit from the state.