• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Churches consider response to concealed carry - MJS

H

Herr Heckler Koch

http://www.jsonline.com/features/re...er-response-to-concealed-carry-132866023.html
Annysa Johnson said:
Religious institutions, many of which had opposed the concealed-carry legislation, must now decide whether to post signs barring weapons from their premises - knowing that the signs could expose them to greater legal liability.

Some are opting out, saying posting signs won't protect worshippers from those hellbent on harm.

But many, like Jackson Park, are posting on principle, saying the very notion of weapons in houses of worship runs contrary to everything they represent.

TheRock

From the article

At Spring Creek Church in Pewaukee, Pastor Thomas Price said the congregation weighed a number of issues, including liability, before opting not to post. In the end, he said, the consensus was that a concealed weapon could save lives.

"We think the sign could be harmful," said Price, whose church draws about 1,600 worshippers a week. "Bad people won't obey it. And good people will - and not carry on the one Sunday we wish they had."

MKEgal

Spring Creek Church might get some new members by advertising that they're truly a welcoming congregation, supportive of all civil rights... unlike a certain poseur church I could name that makes those claims.

Last edited:

Firearms Iinstuctor

I know a few chruchs that encourage carry. When I open carry at the one I attend most people don't even notice.

The one I attend in AZ I was inform the ushers and pastor (former WI boy) and all the decons carry. They were more then glad to have me carry.

Some well most some well not. Some well get rid of the signs as time goes by some well add them.

Over all I belive that more signs well come down as time passes.

Horseman

I've stated this before on this forum, but the only reason my niece and nephew are alive today is because someone in their church was carrying when the bad guy came looking for his ex, and decided to take it out on everyone there. Several wounded, but the bad guy was carried out in a bag.