• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Can I take a look at your ID Sir ????

LMTD

Accomplished Advocate
Any suggestions or help would be fantastic.

Under no circumstances what so ever appear without a lawyer.

You could possibly lose your freedom over a procedural error and no one is obligated to assist you in any way. Even a PD beats you, nothing personal.

You are a family man, the risk is not just you eating crappy food for a few weeks and toughing it out.

You understand that if and when you choose to make a statement, doing so and saying the wrong thing is testifying at which point the prosecutor gets his shot at you and he gets to break any rules he wants with no one to protect you through objections to even base future appeals on etc.

NOTHING about doing this yourself is a good idea.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
Cop: "Can I take a look at your ID?"

Citizen: "Why sure, officer. How you're going to figure out which of 5 million in the MO database is mine, I don't know. But, you're welcome to look." :D

Seriously, though. The discussion about the police needing RAS (assuming there is an ordinance or statute, too) misses something really, really important that is not at all obvious from reading the statutes and ordinances: the cop doesn't have to tell you whether or what his RAS is. I've never seen a statute or court ruling requiring it.

Basically, you would have no way to know whether the cop had the necessary RAS. Meaning, if you withhold your identity, and there is a statute or ordinance, and it turns out he does have genuine RAS, you could be facing a citation. I've seen some stop-and-identify statutes and ordinances where the penalty was pretty serious. Not a felony, but a fairly strong misdemeanor.

It starts with RAS and Terry vs Ohio. At the end of Terry you will see the court said that each incident will have to be judged on its own facts. What does that mean for our discussion? It means that the court judge is the one who decides whether RAS existed. And, he is doing it after the fact. Meaning after you have been cited or arrested.

It is up to the courts to decide whether RAS existed. Meaning, not you. I have never read a court case where the defendant got to decide whether RAS was valid during the detention. In fact, I have read one state case said in so many words that the detainee doesn't get to decide. (Christian v Commonwealth of VA)

Now, you have to realize that courts have been churning out reams of decisions since Terry as to whether the circumstances for this or that detention amounted to genuine RAS. Forty years of decisions. Do you know which circumstances have been ruled as sufficient for RAS? Do you think you can figure out whether your detention--while it is occurring--is close enough to the circumstances of an earlier detention that have already been ruled enough for RAS? Do you think you can correctly guess what the judge you get will rule regarding RAS of your detention.

Do you know whether the courts allow cops to judge circumstances in light of their own experience as LEOs?

If the detainee guesses wrong about any of that, he's likely in trouble. And, realize that this is after the cop cites or arrests him.

If the cop thinks he has RAS, that is what is going to count during the encounter itself.

What can you do? I am not a lawyer; can't give legal advice. But, I can tell you what I will do:

"Officer, I will provide my identity. I do not consent to providing it. But, since you have demanded it in a way that makes me think compliance may be compelled, I will give it to you. You are demanding it, yes?"

This preserves my legal standing (see the FlexYourRights videos for info about consent). If it turns out later the cop did in fact not have RAS for the identity demand, then I've got another bullet-point for my formal written complaint or lawsuit. And, I will be checking to find out whether he did or not.

Last edited:

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
SNIP Long story short, I recorded both incidents and have a trial date set got the 14th, but with no money for a attorney I'm looking at representing myself (something I do notre wasn't to do) in what will be a frustrating battle. I know I'm right, but how far will that knowledge get me right now? Any suggestions or help would be fantastic.

Can you get a public defender? It seems that the evidence should be suppressed at the outset if there was no RAS for a detention. I'm thinking a public defender can handle that.

But, move heaven and earth to find an attorney. Check also for low cost attorneys (some inner cities have lawyers that will do this). Also, it seems I've heard of civic groups or non-profits that offer such. Heck, your local privacy groups might be able to connect you with an attorney at very low cost. Identity demands usually fall under the heading of concerns for privacy groups.

Call all your old girlfriends, former employers, every friend and business contact to get leads to a low cost or free attorney. But, find an attorney.

Last edited: