Thread: HR 822 A bill fit for the nation's gun traffickers, Tom Barrett mayor of Milwaukee

Herr Heckler Koch

HR 822 A bill fit for the nation's gun traffickers, Tom Barrett mayor of Milwaukee
    Quote Originally Posted by Mayor Tom
    On Tuesday, Wisconsin will allow qualifying citizens to apply for a carry concealed gun permit. Wisconsin policy-makers imposed minimum standards - such as training and an age requirement of at least 21 years - to ensure the safety of our residents.
    He gets a clue!

, ,
    "Gun traffickers with a permit to carry concealed weapons from another state would be able to easily travel to our state with a variety of firearms in tow, and police would be unable to stop them until they actually witnessed an illegal gun sale."

Yep, now they just "know" they are selling guns illegally...
    "I don't really care for "cream cheese"..."

1,567 a country with the "right to keep and bear arms," is gun trafficking really an issue? Why can't they just call it transporting guns...what is wrong with transporting a gun? What is wrong with selling a gun? This seems a bit ludicrous. They are making a completely legal action sound evil and dangerous.
    “The claim and exercise of a constitutional right cannot be converted into a crime.”
    [Miller vs. U.S., 230 F. Supp. 486, 489 (1956)]
    “There can be no sanction or penalty imposed upon one because of his exercise of constitutional rights.”
    [Sherar vs. Cullen, 481 F2d. 946 (1973)]

Milwaukee, Wisconsin, USA
    Barrett is a card carrying member of Bloomberg's MAIG. He is probably reading from that organization's standard talking points
    Wisconsin Carry Member
    My Castle Doctrine Law

Don't wish ill upon your enemy......plan it.

Waukesha, Wisconsin
    Tom is just your typical liberal and demagogue - thank God he wasn't elected governor.

I don't know enough about Florida but I find it suspicious that he is citing a 2006 statistic. I didn't think Florida necessarily issued permits to felons unless their "gun rights" have been restored, as ridiculous as that is. How shameful that Montana will issue permits to 18 year olds (sarcasm). I'm surprised that Montana wouldn't issue permits to 15 year olds.

His positions obviously defy logic and are empty and weak - much like his approach to intervening in a domestic violence incident with nothing but a call to 911 and his pleas for the drunken abuser to stop beating his victim.

Regular Member Interceptor_Knight's Avatar
    Green Bay, Wisconsin, USA
    Quote Originally Posted by Herr Heckler Koch View Post
    I believe that you misunderstood what he was saying. He does not have a clue. He stated that the minimum standards including training are "to ensure the safety of our residents".

, Wisconsin, USA
    Barrett, as a member of Mayors Against Guns, fully supports the feds stepping on states rights regarding gun shows. He does not support gun rights just his anti gun agenda. If Barrett is against it, it means we should probably be for it.

in front of my computer, WI
    Quote Originally Posted by Barrett
    Wisconsin policy-makers imposed minimum standards - such as training and an age requirement of at least 21 years - to ensure the safety of our residents.
    Quote Originally Posted by koch
    He gets a clue!
    I read that as saying that the impediments to the free exercise of our protected civil rights are what he considers to be "ensuring safety". Remove the intervening clause & it's more clear.

Wisconsin has made reciprocal carry concealed agreements with a number of other states because their laws meet our safety standards - but not all of them.
    Obviously he hasn't read the law any more than the DOJ has.
    The only requirement for WI to recognize an OOS permit is that the holder had a BG check.

NRA ignores the consequences of this ill-conceived proposal
    National recognition of rights is a bad idea?

Indiana issues permits to people with absolutely no gun safety training
    And they've had such horrible problems, right? No?
    Well, then what's the problem with letting them come here?

For drivers, there is a national computerized database system for officers to check a license's validity. But for this new forced concealed carry reciprocity scheme, there's no system, and no certainty. Officers essentially will have to guess.
    Bovine excrement.
    Both permits in my purse right now have phone numbers on the back.
    One even has 2 numbers, one listed under "for verification of this license for law enforcement purposes only".

Interesting that FL itself keeps stats from 01JUL06 to 30JUN07, yet Barrett gives a number for 2006.
    Here's the PDF.
    There were slightly over 98,000 applications (new & renewal), with 380 denied for inelegibility.
    Unless my math is off, that's slightly under 4/10 of 1%.
    And I don't see anywhere they list how many felons got permits.

As for the MA(I)G / W"AV"E / Joyce Foundation / Brady Bunch talking points:
    will allow Wisconsin residents to carry hidden, loaded guns throughout our state
    concealed, loaded guns
    threaten the safety of our police officers
    Why don't these people ever consider that criminals threaten MY safety?

, Wisconsin, USA
    The anti's are either 1) fear the bill will get through or 2) see a chance to appear relevent. I vote for #2. But they are doing a great job of identifying the need for a state to recognize permits from other states.
    When in danger you can dial 911 and hope for the police to arrive a few minutes later armed with guns.
    Why do police carry guns?

The Joyce Foundation funded firearm control empire:

"Everything that we see is a shadow cast by that which we do not see." - Martin Luther King Jr.

Okanogan Highland
    Milwaukee Police don't have a very good record eh? Maybe the mayor thinks everyone is as bad as they are:

Or maybe he is thinking about his buddy, Bloombergs cops:

As if either would find any new law a deterant.

Cool After all the crap we've put...

... up with from the anti's, and out of state money from wave they can kiss my ass. Let them spend some more. boar out.