• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

HR 822 A bill fit for the nation's gun traffickers, Tom Barrett mayor of Milwaukee

Mlutz

"Gun traffickers with a permit to carry concealed weapons from another state would be able to easily travel to our state with a variety of firearms in tow, and police would be unable to stop them until they actually witnessed an illegal gun sale."

Yep, now they just "know" they are selling guns illegally...

RetiredOC

Campaign Veteran
Wait...in a country with the "right to keep and bear arms," is gun trafficking really an issue? Why can't they just call it transporting guns...what is wrong with transporting a gun? What is wrong with selling a gun? This seems a bit ludicrous. They are making a completely legal action sound evil and dangerous.

XDFDE45

Barrett is a card carrying member of Bloomberg's MAIG. He is probably reading from that organization's standard talking points
emot-jerkit.gif

McNutty

Tom is just your typical liberal and demagogue - thank God he wasn't elected governor.

I don't know enough about Florida but I find it suspicious that he is citing a 2006 statistic. I didn't think Florida necessarily issued permits to felons unless their "gun rights" have been restored, as ridiculous as that is. How shameful that Montana will issue permits to 18 year olds (sarcasm). I'm surprised that Montana wouldn't issue permits to 15 year olds.

His positions obviously defy logic and are empty and weak - much like his approach to intervening in a domestic violence incident with nothing but a call to 911 and his pleas for the drunken abuser to stop beating his victim.

Max

Barrett, as a member of Mayors Against Guns, fully supports the feds stepping on states rights regarding gun shows. He does not support gun rights just his anti gun agenda. If Barrett is against it, it means we should probably be for it.

MKEgal

Barrett said:
Wisconsin policy-makers imposed minimum standards - such as training and an age requirement of at least 21 years - to ensure the safety of our residents.
koch said:
He gets a clue!
I read that as saying that the impediments to the free exercise of our protected civil rights are what he considers to be "ensuring safety". Remove the intervening clause & it's more clear.

Wisconsin has made reciprocal carry concealed agreements with a number of other states because their laws meet our safety standards - but not all of them.
Obviously he hasn't read the law any more than the DOJ has.
The only requirement for WI to recognize an OOS permit is that the holder had a BG check.

NRA ignores the consequences of this ill-conceived proposal
National recognition of rights is a bad idea?

Indiana issues permits to people with absolutely no gun safety training
And they've had such horrible problems, right? No?
Well, then what's the problem with letting them come here?

For drivers, there is a national computerized database system for officers to check a license's validity. But for this new forced concealed carry reciprocity scheme, there's no system, and no certainty. Officers essentially will have to guess.
Bovine excrement.
Both permits in my purse right now have phone numbers on the back.
One even has 2 numbers, one listed under "for verification of this license for law enforcement purposes only".

Interesting that FL itself keeps stats from 01JUL06 to 30JUN07, yet Barrett gives a number for 2006.
Here's the PDF.
There were slightly over 98,000 applications (new & renewal), with 380 denied for inelegibility.
Unless my math is off, that's slightly under 4/10 of 1%.
And I don't see anywhere they list how many felons got permits.

As for the MA(I)G / W"AV"E / Joyce Foundation / Brady Bunch talking points:
will allow Wisconsin residents to carry hidden, loaded guns throughout our state
concealed, loaded guns
threaten the safety of our police officers

Why don't these people ever consider that criminals threaten MY safety?

Flipper

Campaign Veteran
The anti's are either 1) fear the bill will get through or 2) see a chance to appear relevent. I vote for #2. But they are doing a great job of identifying the need for a state to recognize permits from other states.

wild boar

After all the crap we've put...

... up with from the anti's, and out of state money from wave they can kiss my ass. Let them spend some more. boar out.