• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Ruger SR1911

downeyj80

Hey all,

I was thinking about getting a 1911 for OC when I return home, and I was thinking of either the RIA or Ruger SR1911. However, I am not sure if any of the local gun stores have either in stock. I would call, but I can only call home twice per week for 15 minutes. Thought that maybe someone might have been in a shop recently and maybe saw one? I have read many good reviews on the RIA 1911, and from what I have read the SR1911 seems pretty stable. I just want to get a handle on where I might go when I get home to see if I like the feel of the pistol or if it even fits in my hands. So any advice or experience would be helpful.

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
RIAs are great 1911s. I have a full-size model and an officer's model. They are great 1911s to start with and mine have not had any issues at all even after a couple thousand rounds. I would highly recommend them.

That said, I have not heard a single negative thing about the Ruger 1911.

JohnnyO

Last edited:

downeyj80

JohnO: I have tried those e-mails and will definately look at those videos. I understand that a shops stock is always in flux. I might just have to call.

Thanks for the recommendations on the RIA, I will check those out too.

KIX

I really like the Ruger.

Almost picked one up, but they are in and out of stock. Good thing.... I recently also fell in love with a Sig 1911...... so much for attention span! However, the Ruger is very well made and I liked shooting it.

Hoffman's had it in stock, then it was out a few days later, back again last week. I'd say call 'em. They are indeed a volume store and may have some priority over other vendors because of the amount they purchase at any given time.

Jonathan

dcmdon

The Ruger is a beautiful gun for the money. 100% American made. Once supply catches up with demand you should be able to get one for less than $650. I don't know what Hoffmans was selling them for , but as much as I dislike that place, they sometimes have guns for sale retail for less than I can buy them from distribution.

Also, the little guys can't even get SR1911s. So keeping an eye on places like Hoffmans is probably a good idea.

Don

KIX

To add to what Don is saying....

I think it's all about volume. Hoffman's has to be one of the busiest shops in the Northeast, as I know people from all around that drive up here and make a point to stop in there for a purchase. A shooting friend of mine in New Hampshire likes my new AR I just finished. I bought all the parts and put it together myself. My stripped lower, S&W M&P was only $99.00. I also inquired at Hoffman's as to how many they have to buy to get that sweet a deal. One guy said it seemed like a truckload!

So, volume does benefit us. I was getting a great deal on 5.56 ammo until I spread the word and now they are out of stock (gotta keep my mouth shut on these deals). I still haven't found online that beat it yet. 100 rounds, American Eagle, $29.99.

So, even if customer service downright stinks at times, the deals are indeed hard to beat. And with volume, comes privileges when it comes to supply for those that demand!

Jonathan

dcmdon

I have been told that hoffmans buys direct from Ruger. With no distributor in the middle they can either undercut other dealers or make more. It pays to have cash and the volume of sales to support it.