• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Costco Henderson

The Big Guy

Was shopping Costco Henderson about noon today with wife and family. As we approached the checkout a young man named David came up to me and asked if I was law enforcement. I told him no. He then said that he would appreciate it if I did not come in armed next time. I told him that what he was asking me was not Costco policy. He told me that it was. I asked him when it changed and he said that it has always been their policy. I told him that I have read a letter from corporate and their policy is that Costco follows all state and local laws. That OC is perfectly legal in Nevada. He said he is aware of the law but that he could trespass me. He then asked me if I had a copy of the policy on me. (huh? I should carry a note from Costco on me?) I told him I certainly could get it and show him next time I come in. He said that would be great. In hind sight, screw it, it's not my business to train Costco's employees. I'll just go through corporate. I have been shopping in that same store for years, armed, no problem.

This young man told me that he knew all the Costco policies and knew the law, as he had taken a class and got his Nevada permission slip. I almost laughed in his face. I did everything I could, and my wife was proud of me, that I kept my cool with him. I find it interesting that he did not want to kick me out before I paid for my nearly $400.00 in groceries. Oh well, there is policy and there is money. Just to make it clear, at no time did he ask me to leave only pretty please don’t bring my nasty ol’ gun in next time.

TBG

jdholmes

That is great to know! Last I had heard people weren't carrying at costcos because of the fiasco with the kid that got cop shot.

The Henderson one is my Costco...really happy to hear of all the locations in Henderson that are ok with it. And excited for my green card process to finish so I can start OC'ing.

jdholmes

Hey, thanks for sharing that letter.

I have one majors problem with it, and I believe is a point you could actually use to come against it.

Although Costco is a 'club' in that you can't purchase their product without being a member, they are not in fact closed to the public.

Any member of the public is permitted to go in the building and walk around, interact with the people and sample their food.

You don't need a membership card unless you want to buy something.

The building and property are still open to the public...

jdholmes

Although I suppose legally they would still be justified in saying they can make whatever rules they want...

Certainly doesn't seem to be a sound argument though.

I would love to see the other letter the op has.

The Big Guy

View attachment 7247

Here is a Costco policy that I aquired, not so friendly...

The problem with this letter is that it is from an Assitant manager at a Minnesota Costco. He can't speak for the corporation. Somewhere, I will have to search for it, there was a email/letter from Costco corporate stating they follow all local and state laws. I was actually shocked by being approached as I have been shopping in that Costco for years with no problem. If it is true and it is indeed their policy, they are going to loose my 500+ a month I spend in there.

TBG

gmijackso

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
...Although Costco is a 'club' in that you can't purchase their product without being a member, they are not in fact closed to the public.

Any member of the public is permitted to go in the building and walk around, interact with the people and sample their food.

You don't need a membership card unless you want to buy something.

The building and property are still open to the public...

[tangent] With Sam's Club, you do not have to be a member to buy alcohol. Seriously, you can walk in and tell the person checking cards at the door that you are just buying alcohol, and they let you right in. They have their own membership number to enter at the register when you make your purchase. If this is because of some weird local law, then it should apply to Costco, too. [/tangent]

I read a recent thread on OCDO about Costco, being a membership club. Simply ask to see the membership agreement. You PAY them to be a member so you can shop there. If it's not spelled out in the membership agreement that you can't have a firearm, then you should be able to ignore any sign and any manager's comments to the contrary. In fact, I'd argue that they open themselves to a class-action lawsuit if they trespass people with firearms, unless it is spelled out in the membership agreement.

DVC

City? Who wants to live in a CITY?, Nevada, USA
With Sam's Club, you do not have to be a member to buy alcohol. Seriously, you can walk in and tell the person checking cards at the door that you are just buying alcohol, and they let you right in. They have their own membership number to enter at the register when you make your purchase. If this is because of some weird local law, then it should apply to Costco, too.

"Spirits" in sealed containers (that is, not sold by the drink, like at a bar) and prescriptions drugs are "separately regulated" and those regulations include public access for purchase.

jdholmes

That appears to be a costco Canada agreement from what I can tell. The problem is although it does not mention guns it does give Costco the discretion to refuse entry to anyone at any time for any reason...

Nevada carrier

Regardless of the legality of carrying a firearm in Costco, ccw or otherwise, why would any of us be doing business with them? After all, with a clear conscience, an employee of their Sumerlin store trumped up some fiction that an armed customer was acting in a hostile, threatening and disorderly manner, probably knowing that this report would get the police there in a hurry, and also knowing that they would arrive guns drawn and adrenalin flowing. In short, it went down like this; "I don't like you, I'm going to manipulate the police to kill you for me."

Now, that being said, we discovered later that the customer was under the influence of prescription drugs to an extent that he should not have been carrying a firearm, but this is not pertinent because at the time the killing took place, this was unknown, and cannot be presupposed. The actions that transpired did not warrant a response from the police. The agent on behalf of the store had not asked him to leave. Please keep in mind that just because something is implied, doesn't mean it was actually said. Telling a customer "firearms are not allowed on our private property." is not the same as saying "please leave." Also keep in mind that the police can not enforce a trespass unless evidence exists that the suspect is in violation of a trespass. At no point in the 911 call did anyone ask the agent if the customer was asked to leave, and subsequently refused to do so. Instead, the agent fabricated an assertion that the customer was "destroying property," when in fact he was opening bulk packaging of products that were sold individually. He then proceeded to see if the product was compatible with other merchandise by manipulating the other merchandise within it's intended functionality. Perhaps the merchandise was left in some state of disarray instead of being neatly returned to its place, but this is hardly destruction of property.

What it boils down to is this; The company doesn't respect the rights of it's customers and doesn't properly train their agents to deal with the reality that law abiding citizens carry firearms for legitimate reasons. They will also cover for their agents who's unethical and morally reprehensible actions result in someones death. Because of this, I will not do business with them. As for the Costco security agent who's ego was so bruised that he felt it necessary to murder someone by proxy, I believe there is a special place in hell just for him. Erik Scott was not perfect, and yes perhaps he was guilty of a crime, but did nothing to deserve his execution.

Last edited:

Robin47

Was shopping Costco Henderson about noon today with wife and family. As we approached the checkout a young man named David came up to me and asked if I was law enforcement. I told him no. He then said that he would appreciate it if I did not come in armed next time. I told him that what he was asking me was not Costco policy. He told me that it was. I asked him when it changed and he said that it has always been their policy. I told him that I have read a letter from corporate and their policy is that Costco follows all state and local laws. That OC is perfectly legal in Nevada. He said he is aware of the law but that he could trespass me. He then asked me if I had a copy of the policy on me. (huh? I should carry a note from Costco on me?) I told him I certainly could get it and show him next time I come in. He said that would be great. In hind sight, screw it, it's not my business to train Costco's employees. I'll just go through corporate. I have been shopping in that same store for years, armed, no problem.

This young man told me that he knew all the Costco policies and knew the law, as he had taken a class and got his Nevada permission slip. I almost laughed in his face. I did everything I could, and my wife was proud of me, that I kept my cool with him. I find it interesting that he did not want to kick me out before I paid for my nearly $400.00 in groceries. Oh well, there is policy and there is money. Just to make it clear, at no time did he ask me to leave only pretty please don’t bring my nasty ol’ gun in next time.

TBG

Next time you write a letter to Costco, send them this article.
And tell them this is why you go armed everywhere !

Robin47

http://news.yahoo.com/man-held-calif...194404620.html

The Big Guy

Why bother with Costco and their ambiguous policy, when Sam's welcomes you, your wallet and your gun?

Actually I don't need either Costco or Sam's.

I don't like costco because they don't respect my Constitutional rights (that is enough reason right there), treat me like a criminal when I try to leave the place, I don't like fighting the crowds and their prices are no better than the supermarket in the vast majority of cases. Oh, and they have no service.

Sam's is Wally World and I don't like lot's of things about them despite the fact that they are OC friendly.

I am still waiting on my wife's friend who is a manager for Costco in another state to get us a copy (if it exists) of their written policy right from their book.

TBG