• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

man breaks into home to watch TV,family knocks him out.

lil_freak_66

http://news.yahoo.com/police-man-broke-oregon-home-watch-tv-183321713.html
<snip>
Police say Bastrom let himself in through an unlocked front door early Sunday and sat down on the couch to watch television. They say the homeowner alerted authorities, and then sent over a family member who lived nearby.

Authorities say the family member confronted Bastrom and struck him in the head, knocking him unconscious. Authorities took Bastrom to the hospital to be treated for injuries before booking him into the Multnomah County Jail.

I just found this funny...and it technically is still defense,a man unlawfully entered a dwelling and was met with physical force in response to his crime, its rumored in the comments that he had his hand in his pocket indicating he had a weapon too.

Last edited:

hazek

It's one of the worst things you can do when you know someone broke in and you're not even at the location. Never go look for the BG, always make him come to you to maintain tactical advantage. Also after calling the cops it's wise to stay away so the cops don't find you first and mistake you for the burglar.

MilProGuy

It's one of the worst things you can do when you know someone broke in and you're not even at the location. Never go look for the BG, always make him come to you to maintain tactical advantage. Also after calling the cops it's wise to stay away so the cops don't find you first and mistake you for the burglar.

I certainly agree with your comments.

I'd not be willing to go in and flush an intruder out of my home (or the home of a relative or friend). There are just too many unknowns in that equation.

hazek

There are just too many unknowns in that equation.

Not just that but once you call the cops and they arrive they are expecting to find a bad guy inside the house and there's all kinds of bad things that can happen if they mistake you holding a gun for the BG..

okboomer

Nope, not me. It's MY house and I'll go in and clear it myself, thank you very much. My property, my responsibility. I decided when I chose to carry that I was taking responsibility for all aspects of my life, liberty, and property.

I agree that it is not for everyone, but with the excellent level of training that is available to private citizens these days, I believe I am more qualified to deal with an intruder than an intruder is to deal with me. Of course, I also hunt and I have kinestesia (I know "where" I am in relation to objects at all times) I also have a somewhat unique situation in my house in which even the interior walls are cover (not just concealment) and a quite open floorplan with limited blind spots. There is only two entries into the house, also. The intruder goes for the basement and he is trapped with no way out except through the area I am in control of or past the large guard dog who does bite.

I am middle aged, don't move quite as fast as I used to, and I am a little bigger around than I like, but I have also learned to be level headed and to THINK my way through things. This is a small town and I have a reputation of being somewhat of a hard nose, take no sh*t, no nonsense sort of person.

I firmly believe a good defense is a strong offense. Screw that passive/agressive "Don't do that or I'll call the police" crap. I just need them to show up with the silver bracelets to haul the dumba$$ to the pokey, or, in a worst case scenario, to draw the chalk outline.

I had a guy tell the cops once after I ran him off my property that 1) I beat him up - no bruises, and when they didn't believe that, he said 2) I "hit" him with a stun gun - no burn marks, and when they laughed at that, he said 3) I threatened him with a gun - the cops had to call me on that one, so I asked the cop if there was a round mark in the center of his forehead and he looked at the guy and said "no" so I said, "then I didn't pull my gun on him because there would be a muzzle mark on his forehead or he would have needed an ambulance to leave my property." The cop was repeating this to the one's booking the idjit and they were all laughing! I had the last laugh later that morning because during booking, when he dropped his drawers his ounce of meth fell out. The cop called me back to tell me about that one because he then tried to say I planted it on him ... in his underwear, under the long johns and blue jeans he was wearing. He was definitely a poster child for "Don't do drugs."