Thread: Stupid statutes abound

Stupid statutes abound

I know there are lots of info about stupid statutes on the books, but I just ran across one that made me say WTH...here it is:

941.34  Fluoroscopic shoe-fitting machines. Whoever uses, or possesses or controls with intent to so use, any fluoroscopic or X-ray machine for the purpose of shoe-fitting or attempting to fit shoes, or who knowingly permits such machine, whether in use or not, to remain on his or her premises, is subject to a Class B forfeiture. Each day of such use, possession or control shall constitute a separate violation of this section.
    History: 1977 c. 173.
    Click Here for New to WI Open Carry Legal References and Informational Videos--- FAQ's http://Tinyurl.com/OpenCarry-WI

The Armed Badger A WI site dedicated to Concealed Carry in WI

"To disarm the people... was the best and most effectual way to enslave them." -- George Mason, Speech of June 14, 1788

http://Tinyurl.com/New-To-Guns to DL useful Info

Quote Originally Posted by Motofixxer View Post
    I know there are lots of info about stupid statutes on the books, but I just ran across one that made me say WTH...here it is:

941.34  Fluoroscopic shoe-fitting machines. Whoever uses, or possesses or controls with intent to so use, any fluoroscopic or X-ray machine for the purpose of shoe-fitting or attempting to fit shoes, or who knowingly permits such machine, whether in use or not, to remain on his or her premises, is subject to a Class B forfeiture. Each day of such use, possession or control shall constitute a separate violation of this section.
    History: 1977 c. 173.
    apparently people who worked at the shoe stores were getting jacked up from being exposed to the xray 10-20 times a day. old laws like this need to be cleaned up and removed.
    “The claim and exercise of a constitutional right cannot be converted into a crime.”
    [Miller vs. U.S., 230 F. Supp. 486, 489 (1956)]
    “There can be no sanction or penalty imposed upon one because of his exercise of constitutional rights.”
    [Sherar vs. Cullen, 481 F2d. 946 (1973)]

Yea, this gem is still on the Virginia books.

§ 18.2-344. Fornication.

Any person, not being married, who voluntarily shall have sexual intercourse with any other person, shall be guilty of fornication, punishable as a Class 4 misdemeanor.
    "When seconds count between living or dying, the police are only minutes away."

You can sexually abuse your spouse in AZ.

13-1404. Sexual abuse; classification

A. A person commits sexual abuse by intentionally or knowingly engaging in sexual contact with any person who is fifteen or more years of age without consent of that person or with any person who is under fifteen years of age if the sexual contact involves only the female breast.

B. Sexual abuse is a class 5 felony unless the victim is under fifteen years of age in which case sexual abuse is a class 3 felony punishable pursuant to section 13-705.
    13-1407. Defenses

A. It is a defense to a prosecution pursuant to sections 13-1404 and 13-1405 involving a minor if the act was done in furtherance of lawful medical practice.

B. It is a defense to a prosecution pursuant to sections 13-1404 and 13-1405 in which the victim's lack of consent is based on incapacity to consent because the victim was fifteen, sixteen or seventeen years of age if at the time the defendant engaged in the conduct constituting the offense the defendant did not know and could not reasonably have known the age of the victim.

C. It is a defense to a prosecution pursuant to section 13-1402, 13-1404, 13-1405 or 13-1406 if the act was done by a duly licensed physician or registered nurse or a person acting under the physician's or nurse's direction, or any other person who renders emergency care at the scene of an emergency occurrence, the act consisted of administering a recognized and lawful form of treatment that was reasonably adapted to promoting the physical or mental health of the patient and the treatment was administered in an emergency when the duly licensed physician or registered nurse or a person acting under the physician's or nurse's direction, or any other person rendering emergency care at the scene of an emergency occurrence, reasonably believed that no one competent to consent could be consulted and that a reasonable person, wishing to safeguard the welfare of the patient, would consent.

D. It is a defense to a prosecution pursuant to section 13-1404 or 13-1405 that the person was the spouse of the other person at the time of commission of the act. It is not a defense to a prosecution pursuant to section 13-1406 that the defendant was the spouse of the victim at the time of commission of the act.

E. It is a defense to a prosecution pursuant to section 13-1404 or 13-1410 that the defendant was not motivated by a sexual interest. It is a defense to a prosecution pursuant to section 13-1404 involving a victim under fifteen years of age that the defendant was not motivated by a sexual interest.

F. It is a defense to a prosecution pursuant to sections 13-1405 and 13-3560 if the victim is fifteen, sixteen or seventeen years of age, the defendant is under nineteen years of age or attending high school and is no more than twenty-four months older than the victim and the conduct is consensual.
    Which may be because adultery is illegal.

13-1408. Adultery; classification; punishment; limitation on prosecution

A. A married person who has sexual intercourse with another than his or her spouse, and an unmarried person who has sexual intercourse with a married person not his or her spouse, commits adultery and is guilty of a class 3 misdemeanor. When the act is committed between parties only one of whom is married, both shall be punished.

B. No prosecution for adultery shall be commenced except upon complaint of the husband or wife.

In Lake Charles, Louisiana it is illegal to allow a puddle to remain on your lawn for more than twelve hours. Mosquito control.

Quote Originally Posted by 4sooth View Post
    In Lake Charles, Louisiana it is illegal to allow a puddle to remain on your lawn for more than twelve hours. Mosquito control.
    I've seen your skeeters down there. They aren't insects, they are bloodthirsty low flying aircraft!

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by Merlin View Post
    I've seen your skeeters down there. They aren't insects, they are bloodthirsty low flying aircraft!

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk 2
    That sounds like those cockroaches in the DFW area (an old swamp). I've heard about how they saddle them for the kids to ride!