Thread: Shoulder Holster OC

Shoulder Holster OC

Hello all,,, Just wondering peoples thoughts on shoulder holster OC. It seems pretty darn functional while CC. Was just curious if there were many others that OC with a shoulder rig and any thoughts on which brand/style worked best for you! Thank you.
    "Yes, I am carrying a loaded firearm. Why aren't you? "

Quote Originally Posted by ryan7068 View Post
    Hello all,,, Just wondering peoples thoughts on shoulder holster OC. It seems pretty darn functional while CC. Was just curious if there were many others that OC with a shoulder rig and any thoughts on which brand/style worked best for you! Thank you.
    Seen a few people do it. None of them are members here. Can't say I'd take that route myself, but more power to ya.
    Sic Semper Tyrannis

A lot of people don't recommend shoulder holsters that carry the weapon horizontally for Open Carry. The best vertical carry shoulder holster seems to be the Galco VHS. I've seen them used by Marine helicopter pilots who all seemed to like them over the cheaper shoulder holsters.

Good call!

Good call on the muzzle control. That honestly didn't cross my mind. Shame on me

Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar
    Before I answer...there is OC then again, there is OC.

Yes, I do wear one frequently to carry my largest handguns or when I'm wearing coveralls or something else that would make conventional carry difficult.

I don't wear one when OCing in very public places. It looks silly and out of place, a lot like wearing a leg holster.
    I do wear one often to carry my Taser under a jacket while OCing a handgun on my hip.

I thought about it at the range, and I said no. I don't think people want to be looking at a gun barrel pointing at them even though its on safe/in a safe holster. I believe CC is fine for it, just not open to people to see.

I got two different types of blackhawk shoulder holsters.
    Last edited by ocholsteroc; 10-31-2011 at 12:50 AM.
    How come a DUI you can get your driver licence back, which it is a privilege. But if commiting a felon, even something non violent like stealing, you are denied your constitutional rights for the rest of your life?
    If you don't support the Second Amendment to the Constitution, what other parts of the Constitution do you reject?
    More restrictions on guns? how about restrictions on chainsaws and knives?

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Shoulder rigs (I like vertical) can be a good option if you are on a long trip in a vehicle. They are comfortable and offer ease of accessibility.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Founder's Club Member
    I've seen shoulder holsters used on multiple occasions for OC, but that was mostly when I lived in AZ. It never bothered me much except I didn't much like being the guy standing behind someone with one with the gun kept in the verticle direction. The holster works fine, but for my preferences and probably for general pleasant public perception a belt holster is the way to go. If you feel comfortable with the shoulder holster set up, well then feel free to rock it as you like.

This

Quote Originally Posted by ocholsteroc
    I don't think people want to be looking at a gun barrel pointing at them even though its on safe/in a safe holster.
    and this
    Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    Shoulder rigs (I like vertical) can be a good option if you are on a long trip in a vehicle. They are comfortable and offer ease of accessibility.
    I don't have a problem with most carry methods as each has a purpose or offers a convenience to a task. About the only thing that I abhor for carry method is the so-called "Mexican Carry". Even "leg carry" in a drop holster, a rig some folks consider "tacticool" or "mall ninja", would be comfortable on a hike when carrying a pack on ones back.

So a shoulder rig used for open carry isn't necessarily a "bad thing". In the end in might be the best carry for your situation at the moment.
    Last edited by Cmdr_Haggis; 10-31-2011 at 10:14 AM.
    As Steve Lee says, "I like guns," and have no plans to get rid of them. My kids will be taught, as I was, about gun safety.

Life is good.

None of them are members here.
    We did have at least one (unrequited) but he seems to have fallen off the face of the earth.

Had a discussion...

With an Richmond Detective, he and his wife (also a Richmond officer) were out and about in the warm weather a few moths back and a woman in a checkout line, behind the wife, totally freaked at looking up the barrel of her horizontally carried shoulder rig. It does make one consider where that muzzle is pointed. We cannot "flash the badge" and get some credibility like she could. It was a scene that would be wisely avoided.

Quote Originally Posted by ComradeV View Post
    A lot of people don't recommend shoulder holsters that carry the weapon horizontally for Open Carry. The best vertical carry shoulder holster seems to be the Galco VHS. I've seen them used by Marine helicopter pilots who all seemed to like them over the cheaper shoulder holsters.
    No dings on a Galco. I have a few of them. However, I think you'd like the Alessi Fieldmaster vertical shoulder rig. Holster is very nice, but I dont care for their support side ammo carrying solutions.

http://shop.alessigunholsters.com/Sh...er/Fieldmaster

The holsters are made when you order them. So don't be in a hurry for it.

Alexandria, Fairfax County, Virginia, USA
    I seldom carry openly in a shoulder holster, but often use one for "indifferent" carry. That is, under an unstructured blazer or jacket, such as with a suit, I find it quite comfortable. I don't really worry if someone sees it.

Women's suits are simply not made with belts suitable for hip carry.

I have and still will use a shoulder rig for Open Carry and have done so in both Louisiana and Virginia. For OC, I'd rather use a vertical rig so no one has to look down my muzzle.
    Speedy: LOCAL League Sec/Treasurer, Information Officer
    AKA: Hero Hog, Dr. Speed, "The Brass Mangler" and "That fat, old, balding, Grey-bearded gimpy guy"

I don't have NEAR enough ammo on hand. `nuff said.

NRA Life Member, LSA, USN-DAV

"Stay safe..." - Paul "Skidmark" Henick, RIP

10 O'Clock cross-draw is pretty comfortable sitting, too. Unless you're "a big guy." But it's not for people with a conventional shooting stance. I shoot like it's a rifle even when it's not. 10 O'Clock, right-handed, body sideways, short arm, long arm, etc... Never any muzzle sweeping the room like someone going from cross-draw to a conventional stance. It also makes you a narrower target, since you're sideways. Well, for me anyway... I'm half the silhouette when I stand sideways as straight-on... I think it is all-around better. Cross-draw is also a form of retention. Plus, one skill set... It's just better.

I think it's dumb to learn two different ways of shooting. Especially when one of them is with a gun that is next to worthless (handguns). I'd rather OC a real gun, a rifle. Or a Mossberg Persuader. But the gun snobs here look down on that...

A shoulder rig is (usually) very similar to cross-draw. Be aware of your stance and how you get there... I think it's the best way if you think it through.
    "The fourth man's dark, accusing song had scratched our comfort hard and long..."
    http://edhelper.com/poetry/The_Hangm...rice_Ogden.htm

https://gunthreadadapters.com

"Be not intimidated ... nor suffer yourselves to be wheedled out of your Liberties by any pretense of Politeness, Delicacy, or Decency. These, as they are often used, are but three different names for Hypocrisy, Chicanery, and Cowardice." - John Adams

Tyranny with Manners is still Tyranny.

Thanks a lot folks!

All this info has been quite insightful. I will probably save the shoulder rig for CC as I only really like the horizontals. I may go with one that I can at least put at a downward cant for a moderate semblance of muzzle control.

Quote Originally Posted by ixtow View Post
    10 O'Clock cross-draw is pretty comfortable sitting, too. Unless you're "a big guy." But it's not for people with a conventional shooting stance. I shoot like it's a rifle even when it's not. 10 O'Clock, right-handed, body sideways, short arm, long arm, etc... Never any muzzle sweeping the room like someone going from cross-draw to a conventional stance. It also makes you a narrower target, since you're sideways. Well, for me anyway... I'm half the silhouette when I stand sideways as straight-on... I think it is all-around better. Cross-draw is also a form of retention. Plus, one skill set... It's just better.

I think it's dumb to learn two different ways of shooting. Especially when one of them is with a gun that is next to worthless (handguns). I'd rather OC a real gun, a rifle. Or a Mossberg Persuader. But the gun snobs here look down on that...

A shoulder rig is (usually) very similar to cross-draw. Be aware of your stance and how you get there... I think it's the best way if you think it through.
    I too carry cross-draw (2 o'clock as a lefty). I find it very versatile, especially when in the car. As you pointed out, the only real difference between this method and a shoulder rig is the height of the holster. One reaches for the gun pretty much the same way with either method.
    A law-abiding citizen should be able to carry his personal protection firearm anywhere that an armed criminal might go.

Member VCDL, NRA