• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Shoulder Holster OC

ryan7068

Hello all,,, Just wondering peoples thoughts on shoulder holster OC. It seems pretty darn functional while CC. Was just curious if there were many others that OC with a shoulder rig and any thoughts on which brand/style worked best for you! Thank you.

t33j

Hello all,,, Just wondering peoples thoughts on shoulder holster OC. It seems pretty darn functional while CC. Was just curious if there were many others that OC with a shoulder rig and any thoughts on which brand/style worked best for you! Thank you.
Seen a few people do it. None of them are members here. Can't say I'd take that route myself, but more power to ya.

ComradeV

Campaign Veteran
A lot of people don't recommend shoulder holsters that carry the weapon horizontally for Open Carry. The best vertical carry shoulder holster seems to be the Galco VHS. I've seen them used by Marine helicopter pilots who all seemed to like them over the cheaper shoulder holsters.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Before I answer...there is OC then again, there is OC.

Yes, I do wear one frequently to carry my largest handguns or when I'm wearing coveralls or something else that would make conventional carry difficult.

I don't wear one when OCing in very public places. It looks silly and out of place, a lot like wearing a leg holster.
I do wear one often to carry my Taser under a jacket while OCing a handgun on my hip.

ocholsteroc

I thought about it at the range, and I said no. I don't think people want to be looking at a gun barrel pointing at them even though its on safe/in a safe holster. I believe CC is fine for it, just not open to people to see.

I got two different types of blackhawk shoulder holsters.

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Shoulder rigs (I like vertical) can be a good option if you are on a long trip in a vehicle. They are comfortable and offer ease of accessibility.

jmelvin

Founder's Club Member
I've seen shoulder holsters used on multiple occasions for OC, but that was mostly when I lived in AZ. It never bothered me much except I didn't much like being the guy standing behind someone with one with the gun kept in the verticle direction. The holster works fine, but for my preferences and probably for general pleasant public perception a belt holster is the way to go. If you feel comfortable with the shoulder holster set up, well then feel free to rock it as you like. :)

Cmdr_Haggis

This

ocholsteroc said:
I don't think people want to be looking at a gun barrel pointing at them even though its on safe/in a safe holster.

and this
Shoulder rigs (I like vertical) can be a good option if you are on a long trip in a vehicle. They are comfortable and offer ease of accessibility.

I don't have a problem with most carry methods as each has a purpose or offers a convenience to a task. About the only thing that I abhor for carry method is the so-called "Mexican Carry". Even "leg carry" in a drop holster, a rig some folks consider "tacticool" or "mall ninja", would be comfortable on a hike when carrying a pack on ones back.

So a shoulder rig used for open carry isn't necessarily a "bad thing". In the end in might be the best carry for your situation at the moment. :)

Last edited:

The Wolfhound

Had a discussion...

With an Richmond Detective, he and his wife (also a Richmond officer) were out and about in the warm weather a few moths back and a woman in a checkout line, behind the wife, totally freaked at looking up the barrel of her horizontally carried shoulder rig. It does make one consider where that muzzle is pointed. We cannot "flash the badge" and get some credibility like she could. It was a scene that would be wisely avoided.

doug23838

A lot of people don't recommend shoulder holsters that carry the weapon horizontally for Open Carry. The best vertical carry shoulder holster seems to be the Galco VHS. I've seen them used by Marine helicopter pilots who all seemed to like them over the cheaper shoulder holsters.

No dings on a Galco. I have a few of them. However, I think you'd like the Alessi Fieldmaster vertical shoulder rig. Holster is very nice, but I dont care for their support side ammo carrying solutions.

http://shop.alessigunholsters.com/Shoulder-Holster/Fieldmaster

The holsters are made when you order them. So don't be in a hurry for it.

Tess

Founder's Club Member
I seldom carry openly in a shoulder holster, but often use one for "indifferent" carry. That is, under an unstructured blazer or jacket, such as with a suit, I find it quite comfortable. I don't really worry if someone sees it.

Women's suits are simply not made with belts suitable for hip carry.

HeroHog

I have and still will use a shoulder rig for Open Carry and have done so in both Louisiana and Virginia. For OC, I'd rather use a vertical rig so no one has to look down my muzzle.

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
10 O'Clock cross-draw is pretty comfortable sitting, too. Unless you're "a big guy." But it's not for people with a conventional shooting stance. I shoot like it's a rifle even when it's not. 10 O'Clock, right-handed, body sideways, short arm, long arm, etc... Never any muzzle sweeping the room like someone going from cross-draw to a conventional stance. It also makes you a narrower target, since you're sideways. Well, for me anyway... I'm half the silhouette when I stand sideways as straight-on... I think it is all-around better. Cross-draw is also a form of retention. Plus, one skill set... It's just better.

I think it's dumb to learn two different ways of shooting. Especially when one of them is with a gun that is next to worthless (handguns). I'd rather OC a real gun, a rifle. Or a Mossberg Persuader. But the gun snobs here look down on that...

A shoulder rig is (usually) very similar to cross-draw. Be aware of your stance and how you get there... I think it's the best way if you think it through.

ryan7068

Thanks a lot folks!

All this info has been quite insightful. I will probably save the shoulder rig for CC as I only really like the horizontals. I may go with one that I can at least put at a downward cant for a moderate semblance of muzzle control.

2a4all

10 O'Clock cross-draw is pretty comfortable sitting, too. Unless you're "a big guy." But it's not for people with a conventional shooting stance. I shoot like it's a rifle even when it's not. 10 O'Clock, right-handed, body sideways, short arm, long arm, etc... Never any muzzle sweeping the room like someone going from cross-draw to a conventional stance. It also makes you a narrower target, since you're sideways. Well, for me anyway... I'm half the silhouette when I stand sideways as straight-on... I think it is all-around better. Cross-draw is also a form of retention. Plus, one skill set... It's just better.

I think it's dumb to learn two different ways of shooting. Especially when one of them is with a gun that is next to worthless (handguns). I'd rather OC a real gun, a rifle. Or a Mossberg Persuader. But the gun snobs here look down on that...

A shoulder rig is (usually) very similar to cross-draw. Be aware of your stance and how you get there... I think it's the best way if you think it through.
I too carry cross-draw (2 o'clock as a lefty). I find it very versatile, especially when in the car. As you pointed out, the only real difference between this method and a shoulder rig is the height of the holster. One reaches for the gun pretty much the same way with either method.