• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

going to be in townsend and pigeon forge TN this weekend and have OC questions

linny

I just have a few questions in OCing around Townsend tn and the towns around. Are you aloud to carry to most of the attractions like to play putt putt or other places kinda like that? And like in Cades Cove i image you are aloud but i have never OCed in tenn before and go to Cades Cove alot and would like to know that before i go. One more does anyone know if there are places that are an appsalute no no to carry like city parks are they of limits? , besides school, goverment buildings, i know all them places. And how does LE look at OCers and also people as a whole?
Thanks

Oh Shoot

I assume you have a carry permit.

TN honors all other states' permits, but you must have one to conceal OR open carry.

In general, you can open carry in most places; you may get some looks of course. A LEO can ask to see your permit at any time. I go a month at a time without seeing anyone open carrying, so it's not real common, but then I don't get out much :)

Anyplace that is posted with gunbuster sign or certain wording (many aren't correct but best to honor those signs anyway) are no carry of any kind, and though we've not found anyone actually charged yet, it IS a specific misdemeanor for doing so. Besides the issue of intoxication while packing, you cannot consume ANY alcohol in a public establishment while packing.

Cades Cove is part of the National Park, so like all National Parks it's okay to carry there (but not in federal buildings on park property, which are supposed to be posted).

What else? Schools of any type, including colleges, NO. City and county buildings must be posted just like private biz. Municipal parks are some yes some no, the no's are posted. A few attractions, like Dollywood, are posted, most aren't. Most restaurants aren't.

That's about it, I think. Have a great stay!

- OS

Last edited:

HvyMtl

Please note: Carry Permits from other states are treated like Tennessee permits, with Tennessee's limitations. In other words, Tennessee allows for both open and concealed carry of handguns. This does not include other defensive items, such as knifes, tazers, sprays, etc.

Please do look up the state laws (michie.com does this quite well) and review the state's website on Handgun permits: http://www.tn.gov/safety/handgunmain.shtml (enjoy the cheesy video on the front page ;) )

The signage is supposed to be easy to see (gunbuster symbol) and is supposed to be posted at the entrances. The state code you will see posted where alcohol is served - typically inside, above the bar area, which prohibits weapons, does not apply to permit holders. Remember: You can go into establishments which serve alcohol, but you cannot drink while carrying. (I know you would not be that unwise, just restating the obvious.)

In many cases, state parks will have a posted sign prohibiting weapons. These are old signs, and since the state did not want to pay to replace the signs, they do not apply to permit holders...

As for how people will respond to you carrying: Well, that is a big question. Remember, a lot of the people visiting are out of state tourists, many from areas where open carry is prohibited. So be prepared.

Last edited:

linny

Oh Shoot
I assume you have a carry permit

yes i do have my CWP as we call it here, i sure do thank yal for the information that yal gave and maybe we will see somone there this weekend.

linny

Had a great time in Townsend TN area this passed weekend carried the whole time we were there, and i did OC some in the smokey mountains park including cades cove didnt have any prob. there was one guy that kept lookin:eek: after all there are ppl from all over the country there. Because i am from SC where i cant OC,:banghead: going to TN or NC and states that i can open carry in is very nice and a way to support the 2A. Overall had a good time it would be nice to see more OC at places like national parks like that, as far as i seen i was the only one OCed there SAT and SUN. Looking forward to coming back to that great place. For now i will just Conceal carry here in SC lol.

Brian D.

If you liked Townsend you might also enjoy Bryson City on the N.C. side of the Smokies. The carry laws there are a little different than Tennessee's of course but do some research ahead of time and all will be fine. It's just that the Bryson area is quiet, yet located near a LOT of fun outdoorsy stuff.

(Sorry about going off topic there a sec.)

bed92186

If you liked Townsend you might also enjoy Bryson City on the N.C. side of the Smokies. The carry laws there are a little different than Tennessee's of course but do some research ahead of time and all will be fine. It's just that the Bryson area is quiet, yet located near a LOT of fun outdoorsy stuff.

(Sorry about going off topic there a sec.)
Hello! From SC myself with CWP. My family and I vacation that area every year for years. Decided to open carry last year around townsend and through the National Park. Had no issues, however decided not to due to the crowd of tourists. Got some awesome pics of me sporting my Glock next to the National Park sign as you exit Gatlinburg. I open carry as well in my neighboring state of Georgia. With Pa non resi permit. Carry on.

cmclane28

Please note: Carry Permits from other states are treated like Tennessee permits, with Tennessee's limitations. In other words, Tennessee allows for both open and concealed carry of handguns. This does not include other defensive items...

I see in "39-17-1351 - Handgun carry permits" where the above is true under R - 1, however, I also see this under R - 3 - A in regards to reciprocity agreements:

...If another state imposes conditions on Tennessee permit holders in a reciprocity agreement, the conditions shall also become a part of the agreement and apply to the other state's permit holders when they carry a handgun in this state

Maybe I am reading it wrong, but since Florida does not allow open carry at all, and Tennessee permit holders in Florida would therefore not be allowed to open carry, does the above statement mean that Florida permit holders would also NOT be allowed to open carry in Tennessee? That's how I am reading it, but I could be wrong.

Thanks!

Last edited:

Fallguy

I see in "39-17-1351 - Handgun carry permits" where the above is true under R - 1, however, I also see this under R - 3 - A in regards to reciprocity agreements:

...If another state imposes conditions on Tennessee permit holders in a reciprocity agreement, the conditions shall also become a part of the agreement and apply to the other state's permit holders when they carry a handgun in this state

Maybe I am reading it wrong, but since Florida does not allow open carry at all, and Tennessee permit holders in Florida would therefore not be allowed to open carry, does the above statement mean that Florida permit holders would also NOT be allowed to open carry in Tennessee? That's how I am reading it, but I could be wrong.

Thanks!

I don't think the laws of TN and FL are the same as imposing specifc restrictions in the reciprocity agreement itself.

It say the commisioner is supposed to publish any such restrictions.....there are restrictions posted on the states webpage that lists the reciprocity states... http://www.tn.gov/safety/handgun/reciprocity.shtml