Thread: OC'ed and CC'ed today - I think?

OC'ed and CC'ed today - I think?

Ok - CC'ed and Oc'ed today - sort of.

Went to the range CCing. At the range I OC'ed. But coming home I OC'ed in the car and had to stop for gas. Now I had my coat on beacuse it was cold. But my firearm was visible on my belt at the 3 O'clock position.

In thsi case, am I doing anything wrong by neither OCing fully or CCing fully? Was I OCing or CCing at that point.

Had an LEO come along at that time and noticed, would I have been in trouble?

Quote Originally Posted by mssurrey View Post

Went to the range CCing. At the range I OC'ed. But coming home I OC'ed in the car and had to stop for gas. Now I had my coat on beacuse it was cold. But my firearm was visible on my belt at the 3 O'clock position.

In thsi case, am I doing anything wrong by neither OCing fully or CCing fully? Was I OCing or CCing at that point.

No. Having a CPL you can do either whenever you choose (unless you are in a PFZ).
    "No state shall convert a liberty to a privilege, license it, and charge a fee therefor.- Murdock vs Pennsylvania 319 US 105

...If the state converts a right into a privelege, the citizen can ignore the license and fee and engage in the right... with impunity.
    - Shuttleworth vs City of Birmingham, Alabama 317 US 262

Where rights secured by the Constitution are involved, there can be no legislation which would abrogate them.
    - Miranda vs Arizona 384 US 436

Regular Member quarter horseman's Avatar
    Not to be nitpicky but you cannot OCin a car it is considered CC just a reminder, and welcome to OCDO.

Quote Originally Posted by quarter horseman View Post
    Not to be nitpicky but you cannot OCin a car it is considered CC just a reminder, and welcome to OCDO.
    Tech to have the gun in the car it is considered concealed but the gun can be out in the open you don't need to cover it up when you enter your vehicle.

EDIT: CITE
    750.227 Concealed weapons; carrying
    (2) A person shall not carry a pistol concealed on or about his or her person, or, whether concealed or otherwise, in a vehicle operated or occupied by the person, except in his or her dwelling house, place of business, or on other land possessed by the person, without a license to carry the pistol as provided by law and if licensed, shall not carry the pistol in a place or manner inconsistent with any restrictions upon such license.
    750.231a Exceptions to MCL 750.227(2)
    (a) To a person holding a valid license to carry a pistol concealed upon his or her person issued by his or her state of residence except where the pistol is carried in nonconformance with a restriction appearing on the license.
    Last edited by xmanhockey7; 10-31-2011 at 10:33 AM.
    "No state shall convert a liberty to a privilege, license it, and charge a fee therefor.- Murdock vs Pennsylvania 319 US 105

...If the state converts a right into a privelege, the citizen can ignore the license and fee and engage in the right... with impunity.
    - Shuttleworth vs City of Birmingham, Alabama 317 US 262

Where rights secured by the Constitution are involved, there can be no legislation which would abrogate them.
    - Miranda vs Arizona 384 US 436

Banned
    Depends if you have a CPL.

Depending on if the gas station had a liquor license as well, you may have been required to have teh CPL to OC... so you could have been OCing w/CPL..
    When you put the gun in the holster, put the ego in the gun safe.

Quote Originally Posted by mssurrey View Post

In the places where you stated, you would have no issue due to your CPL and you did nothing wrong. In a CC PFZ (MCL 28.425o), you MUST BE CLEARLY OC if you wish to carry a Pistol.

There is always a possibility that a LEO could come up and question you. It does not happen nearly as often anymore, but it can still happen and this is why we suggest making sure you have an Audio Recorder running while you OC. Just for reference, I have been OC'ing for 2 years now and have never had an issue with a LEO.

Congrats on OC'ing! It will become easier over time.