• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

New weapons policy at work

iceman71

My boss who was for cc before we had it now says he's not for or against it but then gave me the new policy on Friday.

possession of weapons on company property, customer property, in the office or in any vehicle used for company business is strictly prohibited(which I already knew).Any employee who violates this policy will be subject to disciplinary action including immediate termination of employment. Any employee who reports to work or who is at work is subject to random inspection for weapons on thier person, in their tools, in the company vehicle or in their vehicle parked on company or customer property at any time.(Now I could swear that act 35 says they cant stop us from keeping it in our vehicles).

Shotgun

Wisconsin Carry, Inc.
My boss who was for cc before we had it now says he's not for or against it but then gave me the new policy on Friday.

possession of weapons on company property, customer property, in the office or in any vehicle used for company business is strictly prohibited(which I already knew).Any employee who violates this policy will be subject to disciplinary action including immediate termination of employment. Any employee who reports to work or who is at work is subject to random inspection for weapons on thier person, in their tools, in the company vehicle or in their vehicle parked on company or customer property at any time.(Now I could swear that act 35 says they cant stop us from keeping it in our vehicles).

And you'd be right:

Wis. Stat. § 175.60(15m)(b) "An employer may not prohibit a licensee or an out-of-state licensee, as a condition of employment, from carrying a concealed weapon, a particular type of concealed weapon, or ammunition or from storing a weapon, a particular type of weapon, or ammunition in the licensee's or out-of-state licensee's own motor vehicle, regardless of whether the motor vehicle is used in the course of employment or whether the motor vehicle is driven or parked on property used by the employer."

iceman71

Thats what I thought. Thinking they want a way to get rid of me seeing i"m just getting back too work after two year back injury/surgery hiatus. Now, do I inform them of their screw up or wait till they fire me and sue them? hmmm.

jpm84092

Over-Reaction To a "Non-Issue"

You work for a guy whose lawyers do not seem to appreciate the liability shield that AB-35 (SB-93 as amended) affords them. WI Citizens, businesses, and local governments are over-reacting to the WI Concealed Carry law as if WI were the first and only state to enact "Shall Issue" concealed carry. In the other 4/5 of the USA that is "shall issue", the dreaded consequences of concealed carry are a "non-issue".

agent_jwa

yeah my work did the same thing, only they included some other language wrongly specifying carry within school grounds and in the parking lot.

iceman71

All these businesses are going to some class they told me. Heard it from another business too and I asked them if they explained the liability issue, and they both said its up in the air on who is liable. I gave them a dumb look and walked away/ I would of turned blue in the face before they would of ever understood. Dam sheeple.

msteinhilber

Where I work, a company based in Madison with branch offices all throughout the state, I understand they have no intentions of posting at any of our locations due to them wishing to maintain the liability protection. Don't wish to disclose the name of my employer just yet since I have not seen official documentation - just what has come down wind from my boss as he knows I am pro right to carry. Out of curiosity, as I know our employee handbook forbids firearms being within the building by any employee - can they elect to allow patrons of the business to carry while still prohibiting employees to carry?

iceman71

And you'd be right:

Wis. Stat. § 175.60(15m)(b) "An employer may not prohibit a licensee or an out-of-state licensee, as a condition of employment, from carrying a concealed weapon, a particular type of concealed weapon, or ammunition or from storing a weapon, a particular type of weapon, or ammunition in the licensee's or out-of-state licensee's own motor vehicle, regardless of whether the motor vehicle is used in the course of employment or whether the motor vehicle is driven or parked on property used by the employer."

By the way. Thank you for stat.

Mlutz

Out of curiosity, as I know our employee handbook forbids firearms being within the building by any employee - can they elect to allow patrons of the business to carry while still prohibiting employees to carry?
Absolutely. Gender mountain does that 100% for sure. The gun counter guys always say how they cannot carry at the store, Even if its a day off.

Shotgun

Wisconsin Carry, Inc.
Out of curiosity, as I know our employee handbook forbids firearms being within the building by any employee - can they elect to allow patrons of the business to carry while still prohibiting employees to carry?

Yes, they can allow or disallow as they please. They could say only employees can carry and customers cannot. They could say "casual Friday" is now "concealed carry Friday" and prohibit on the other days if they wished. They could say knives and clubs are acceptable, but guns and electric weapons are not. Or even "revolvers are okay, semi-autos not." The only rule they cannot make would be to prohibit in personally-owned vehicles, even if on company property. And... I submit my opinion that they could not say something like "only men can carry" or something similar that gives a privilege to one group of people based on one of the designated classes in the fair employment law. (e.g., sex, color, religion, ancestry, race, etc.)

metalman383

Signs on all doors of my buisness say, "This Buisness Welcomes Lawful Carry of Hanguns, We Respect Your Right To Self Defense". Along with a picture of a sweet 1911. I have had nothing but positive comments about them.

Badger Johnson

Wow, don't like that 'subject to random inspections'. I'd consult a lawyer about that to see if it's not a rights violation. It might be since I doubt they're gonna pat down the females...uh, randomly.

protias

My company has a policy against now. I'm waiting to see if they post the doors though per the requirements in the law.

oliverclotheshoff

All these businesses are going to some class they told me. Heard it from another business too and I asked them if they explained the liability issue, and they both said its up in the air on who is liable. I gave them a dumb look and walked away/ I would of turned blue in the face before they would of ever understood. Dam sheeple.[/QUOTE

yeah there are seminars and workshops poppin up just as fast as all the CCW training classes

bmwguy11

My office bans employee carry, so that's out.

But no signs and apparently they do not plan on banning non-employee carry.

Last edited:

jpm84092

Signs on all doors of my buisness say, "This Buisness Welcomes Lawful Carry of Hanguns, We Respect Your Right To Self Defense". Along with a picture of a sweet 1911. I have had nothing but positive comments about them.

+1 & way to go!

Where I work, my fellow employees get nervous if I am NOT carrying - or if I am out of the office traveling. All but two in my office have taken the CFP class from me and either have or are about to get their permits. So far, nobody else has carried in the office. Their attitude is to let (Yellow Cat) handle any bad guys that might come in.

Firearms Iinstuctor

My company has had a corporate ban on weapons in the workplace since the corporation bought us out. Last friday the signs went up, but they're smaller than 5X7. Should I inform them that the signs are not legal per the new law?

Naw I let them learn the hard way. Why help an anti corp out. Beside its a good defense if your ever caught:rolleyes: