Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: Places to legally carry a weapon in a car

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    5

    Places to legally carry a weapon in a car

    I read this in another thread as well as the Kentucky state trooper web site. Here is how I understand it

    YOU MAY CARRY A WEAPON
    1. Glove box
    2. Center Con
    3. Door Pocket
    4. Seat pocket

    YOU MAY NOT CARRY A WEAPON
    1. Under seats.

    Could any one please help to confirm this info or correct it please?

  2. #2
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Central KY
    Posts
    917
    Looks good to me. Any factory installed compartment will work.

  3. #3
    Regular Member DrakeZ07's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Lexington, Ky
    Posts
    1,107
    You can also carry it on top of your dash board in your vehicle. (Just make sure it won't slide around, that can be annoying on curves)
    I'm a proud openly gay open carrier~
    Trained SKYWARN spotter, and veteran Storm Chaser.
    =^.^= ~<3~ =^.^=
    Beware the Pink Camo clad gay redneck.

  4. #4
    Regular Member hermannr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Okanogan Highland
    Posts
    2,332
    Why not just on your hip? That is where I like to carry mine.

  5. #5
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Ky
    Posts
    27
    Quote Originally Posted by hermannr View Post
    Why not just on your hip? That is where I like to carry mine.
    Because unless you have a CCDW I do think they may consider that CC in the car because it is not clearly visible to the responding officer?

    I keep mine between the seats (40/20/40) in my truck long before I got my CCDW, its easy to get to there, and pointed down in case of a AD.

  6. #6
    Regular Member 09jisaac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Louisa, Kentucky
    Posts
    1,694
    I don't really think that it is concealed because of perspective. I mean, if I'm just walking down the street with my full sized M&P on my right hip it is hidden from view if they are directly to my left.

  7. #7
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Louisville, KY
    Posts
    45
    KY Law clearly defines Any manufactured storage compartment in a vehicle is legal, my question is about on your hip for example carrying in a holster on your right hip. Also I'm assuming that "clearly visible" is not considered concealed. (I.e. in passenger seat, middle console(below radio) or cup holder.)

  8. #8
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    SW Idaho
    Posts
    1,552
    Quote Originally Posted by Titan357 View Post
    Because unless you have a CCDW I do think they may consider that CC in the car because it is not clearly visible to the responding officer?

    I keep mine between the seats (40/20/40) in my truck long before I got my CCDW, its easy to get to there, and pointed down in case of a AD.
    By that logic, you're more likely to catch a concealing charge by sticking it between the seats. The true purpose of the portion of a handgun covered by a holster is not concealed. The same cannot be said about upholstery.

    Whenever I have traveled by automobile in Kentucky, I have always had it either on my hip or in plain view on the seat. In a compartment if leaving it in the vehicle for some reason.

  9. #9
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Kentucky
    Posts
    23
    Quote Originally Posted by DrakeZ07 View Post
    You can also carry it on top of your dash board in your vehicle. (Just make sure it won't slide around, that can be annoying on curves)
    I didn't think that you could lay it in the seat or on the dash until you obtained your CCDW? Just not 100% sure of that rule.

  10. #10
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Kentucky
    Posts
    23
    Quote Originally Posted by gutshot View Post
    There is no place more "open" than on the seat or on the dash.
    Thanks Gutshot for the info. I guess that I have looked at it that way, but I'm just worried that I will run into a less educated LEO that will try to push me around for having it out in the open. From now on, it will be in the seat for me, dash carry it will slide around to much.

  11. #11
    Activist Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Ashland, KY
    Posts
    1,847
    Quote Originally Posted by NewGunOwner View Post
    Thanks Gutshot for the info. I guess that I have looked at it that way, but I'm just worried that I will run into a less educated LEO that will try to push me around for having it out in the open. From now on, it will be in the seat for me, dash carry it will slide around to much.
    Just my opinion, but I have two reasons why your console is better. 1). You do not have to worry about uneducated or pigheaded leo's if it is out of sight. 2). If you were to hit your breaks suddenly, your firearm is now in the floor, perhaps it would slide under your seat, or into the back floorboard? I have read more than one instance where this has happend to someone, both road rage incidents, and they were searching for their lifesaver when they needed it most. I certainly would not want to be in this situation; having it secured is always a better idea.

  12. #12
    Regular Member KYKevin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Owensboro, Kentucky, USA
    Posts
    328
    Quote Originally Posted by KYGlockster View Post
    Just my opinion, but I have two reasons why your console is better. 1). You do not have to worry about uneducated or pigheaded leo's if it is out of sight. 2). If you were to hit your breaks suddenly, your firearm is now in the floor, perhaps it would slide under your seat, or into the back floorboard? I have read more than one instance where this has happend to someone, both road rage incidents, and they were searching for their lifesaver when they needed it most. I certainly would not want to be in this situation; having it secured is always a better idea.
    Why not just velcro a holster to your dash so it can not slide around? May not look pretty but it would work. Could also do the same to the seat next to you when you drive.

  13. #13
    Activist Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Ashland, KY
    Posts
    1,847
    Quote Originally Posted by KYKevin View Post
    Why not just velcro a holster to your dash so it can not slide around? May not look pretty but it would work. Could also do the same to the seat next to you when you drive.
    Well, three reasons. 1). It being in plain view on a dash will put it in the direct line of sight of an Leo walking up to your car, and being he doesn't want a bad interaction, it's better to be hidden. 2). If you place Velcro on your dash, the sun will heat the glue, then it will cool, and you are going to have hardened glue that is nearly impossible to get off. JMO, but I like leaving my vehicle in decent shape, for if I ever decide to sell. 3). Velcro is not the strongest adhesive. If you are involved in a wreck, the odds of holster and gun flying around your car are pretty good.

    I'm sure everyone has their own opinion, and this is mine.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •