• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Places to legally carry a weapon in a car

Kentucky Handloader

I read this in another thread as well as the Kentucky state trooper web site. Here is how I understand it

YOU MAY CARRY A WEAPON
1. Glove box
2. Center Con
3. Door Pocket
4. Seat pocket

YOU MAY NOT CARRY A WEAPON
1. Under seats.

Could any one please help to confirm this info or correct it please?

DrakeZ07

You can also carry it on top of your dash board in your vehicle. (Just make sure it won't slide around, that can be annoying on curves) :D

Titan357

Why not just on your hip? That is where I like to carry mine.

Because unless you have a CCDW I do think they may consider that CC in the car because it is not clearly visible to the responding officer?

I keep mine between the seats (40/20/40) in my truck long before I got my CCDW, its easy to get to there, and pointed down in case of a AD.

09jisaac

I don't really think that it is concealed because of perspective. I mean, if I'm just walking down the street with my full sized M&P on my right hip it is hidden from view if they are directly to my left.

Jbale22

KY Law clearly defines Any manufactured storage compartment in a vehicle is legal, my question is about on your hip for example carrying in a holster on your right hip. Also I'm assuming that "clearly visible" is not considered concealed. (I.e. in passenger seat, middle console(below radio) or cup holder.)

ManInBlack

Because unless you have a CCDW I do think they may consider that CC in the car because it is not clearly visible to the responding officer?

I keep mine between the seats (40/20/40) in my truck long before I got my CCDW, its easy to get to there, and pointed down in case of a AD.

By that logic, you're more likely to catch a concealing charge by sticking it between the seats. The true purpose of the portion of a handgun covered by a holster is not concealed. The same cannot be said about upholstery.

Whenever I have traveled by automobile in Kentucky, I have always had it either on my hip or in plain view on the seat. In a compartment if leaving it in the vehicle for some reason.

NewGunOwner

You can also carry it on top of your dash board in your vehicle. (Just make sure it won't slide around, that can be annoying on curves) :D

I didn't think that you could lay it in the seat or on the dash until you obtained your CCDW? Just not 100% sure of that rule.

NewGunOwner

There is no place more "open" than on the seat or on the dash.

Thanks Gutshot for the info. I guess that I have looked at it that way, but I'm just worried that I will run into a less educated LEO that will try to push me around for having it out in the open. From now on, it will be in the seat for me, dash carry it will slide around to much.

KYGlockster

Activist Member
Thanks Gutshot for the info. I guess that I have looked at it that way, but I'm just worried that I will run into a less educated LEO that will try to push me around for having it out in the open. From now on, it will be in the seat for me, dash carry it will slide around to much.

Just my opinion, but I have two reasons why your console is better. 1). You do not have to worry about uneducated or pigheaded leo's if it is out of sight. 2). If you were to hit your breaks suddenly, your firearm is now in the floor, perhaps it would slide under your seat, or into the back floorboard? I have read more than one instance where this has happend to someone, both road rage incidents, and they were searching for their lifesaver when they needed it most. I certainly would not want to be in this situation; having it secured is always a better idea.

KYKevin

Just my opinion, but I have two reasons why your console is better. 1). You do not have to worry about uneducated or pigheaded leo's if it is out of sight. 2). If you were to hit your breaks suddenly, your firearm is now in the floor, perhaps it would slide under your seat, or into the back floorboard? I have read more than one instance where this has happend to someone, both road rage incidents, and they were searching for their lifesaver when they needed it most. I certainly would not want to be in this situation; having it secured is always a better idea.

Why not just velcro a holster to your dash so it can not slide around? May not look pretty but it would work. Could also do the same to the seat next to you when you drive.

KYGlockster

Activist Member
Why not just velcro a holster to your dash so it can not slide around? May not look pretty but it would work. Could also do the same to the seat next to you when you drive.

Well, three reasons. 1). It being in plain view on a dash will put it in the direct line of sight of an Leo walking up to your car, and being he doesn't want a bad interaction, it's better to be hidden. 2). If you place Velcro on your dash, the sun will heat the glue, then it will cool, and you are going to have hardened glue that is nearly impossible to get off. JMO, but I like leaving my vehicle in decent shape, for if I ever decide to sell. 3). Velcro is not the strongest adhesive. If you are involved in a wreck, the odds of holster and gun flying around your car are pretty good.

I'm sure everyone has their own opinion, and this is mine.