• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Search, consent, PC, etc.

McNutty

the case law I am referring to states you must be very verbal about defending your rights, or you are considered to voluntarily be waiving them

There is a fairly recent case US Supreme Court case that I think addresses your question: Berghuis vs. Thompkins. It is somewhat complicated but, specifically pertaining to your privilege against self incrimination, if you are subjected to a custodial interogation, you must be provided your Miranda warnings prior to any questioning. This case, I believe, specifically said that a person needs to do more than sit silent - if that is all you do, the police can just keep questioning you. You need to assert that you are remaining silent and you need to assert your right to have an attorney present during any questioning in order to stop the questioning. You can't forever waive your right to remain silient, you can asset it any point during the questioning. I don't think you need to make a big verbal deal about it - you just say that you are not answering any questions and you want a lawyer.

The same can apply to consent as well. You might give consent to a search - and the police don't have to tell you that you have the right to decline giving them consent - but you can withdraw that consent at any time but you need to tell the LEO that you want them to stop the search.

IcrewUH60

So, at the very beginning of the traffic stop [speeding, broken tail light, etc..] when the first words out of the officer's mouth is

Do you know why I pulled you over?

A simple and polite statement like

Good Day officer. I'm going to remain silent and only answer your questions with my lawyer present.

Should suffice?