• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Lingerie, Window blinds, Free chicken, and smart water. Tales of OC in Vegas.

greengum

I haven't had a day off work in about a month but had a few OC encounters here in Henderson. Now that I have slowed down a little bit I will share 4 stories with you guys.

It is around 9 pm and I set out to get a pack of smokes and some water. I went to the rebel station on the corner of Eastern and Windmill. As I entered the store the clerk is to my right side and I head straight to the back and get some smart water and make my way to the counter. As I approach the clerk has his hands raised above his head. The first thing that pops in my head is that he is being robbed! I get a shot of adrenaline and quickly scan the store and noticed I was the only one in there. About a second later he tells me to take whatever I want! At first I thought he was kidding, I set my water down on the counter and assure him that my firearm is only for self defense. He replied with "Well I won't give you any trouble mister and like I said before take whatever you want." Now at this point I start to get a little freaked out and worry maybe a cop or another person carrying comes into the market thinking I am committing armed robbery! I put 20 bucks on the counter and try to assure him again I have no intention of robbing him. After a few moments he starts to trust that I am not there to rob him. He then thanks me for not shooting him and offers me free soda and nuts. I decline, got my change and walked out while he continued to have his hands raised.

I went to home depot on Sunset and Marks in Henderson about a month ago to get some window blinds cut to size. A really cute lady was helping me and it turns out she is an air force wife moved here from Tennessee. While I was getting them cut my father was at the front of the store doing some other shopping. He over heard aout 5 employees discussing guns and that a customer had one on him. It was 3 males and 2 females. The manager who was female stated to her workers that it is illegal to have guns in Nevada. The male workers told her, "hey honey it is in the Constitution!" A few minutes later she approached me in the window section. She asked if I needed any help. I told her no and that I was being taken care of. She then asked the window lady if everything was ok. She responded that everything was fine and had a puzzled look. Well the manager informed her I had a firearm. The window lady responded with "so?" Made me laugh. I was then informed it was company policy to not allow guns in any of the home depot stores and that signs are clearly put up on all entrences. I asked her if she wanted me to leave and go to Lowe's. She told me I was fine but don't do it again. When I was checking out the other employees came around to ask me some questions about open carry. We spoke for about 15 minutes. I asked them about their no guns allowed signs and aked if they could show it to me. We all went outside and while the manager watched at a distance we all started laughing because the only sign had to do with outside food and drink. They then teased me I could me thrown out for my monster drink but not my gun!

I went to El Pollo Loco located on Stephanie and American Pacific in Henderson for lunch. My shop is very near there. Well I went inside and ordered. I got a number 2 or something and it should have been around 8 bucks with tax. The total came out to 6 bucks or so and figured something was on sale. When I left I looked at it again and noticed it said "police discount 25%" I uploaded it to the cloud so you can see it for yourselves. Link here http://cl.ly/BPcR in case it doesn't upload to this post.

Friday night my father and I went to a little place on Warm Springs and Spencer in Las Vegas to get some dinner to go. He really likes their ribs for some unknown reason. Anyways we entered and went up to the bar to look at a menu. For some reason I saw someone drinking a bloody mary and it looked really good so I ordered one. The place is filled with super hot chicks and it turns out they are the team from Vegas in the lingerie football league!! I get to talking to one of them and everything is going great until the bartender Phil interjects. He tells me that I have to cover up my gun. I inform him that it would be illegal for me to do so. The manager then came over and asked to talk to me. The thing that really really really bothers me about people is when they talk about things they clearly have no clue about and are unwilling to listen. This happens a lot in this town :( The manager was really nice but Phil the bartender was really getting on my nerves. This is the basic conversation that went down.
M= manager P= Phil the bartender G=Greengum me!

P: It is illegal to have your gun showing.
G: Actually this is an open carry state and it is O.K.
P: That may be but we serve booze so you can't do it.
G: There are no restrictions if you serve booze like some other states.
P: Well whatever buddy you are clearly brandishing your weapon.
G: I think you are confused, My firearm have not left its holster and I am not brandishing anything!
P: Well I took a CCW class and I know for sure you can get arrested walking around like that.
G: How sure are you? I see you have an Iphone and a simple search about open carry will provide you with some insight. You can also google the NRS codes about brandishing.
P: Yeah ok buddy, just because it is on the internet doesn't mean it is true!
G: Well the NRS codes are on a .gov website and are pretty reliable.
P: Like I said, I have my CCW and I know what I am talking about.

This was getting really annoying. Ignorance is one thing but talking out of your ass is another. The female I was talking to has left to the other side of the bar since this was going down so I was not in the best of moods at this point. Time to call him out on his extensive firearm knowledge. The whole time the manager was standing next to me and she was just trying to understand the situation. I figured since this is Vegas and it worked so well at US bank I would make a bet with Phil!

G= O.K. Phil tell you what. Since you don;t trust the internet and you are positive you are correct and that I am breaking the law, how about we make a bet! How does $5000 in cash sound to you?
P: I don't know you and I don't trust you.
G: Well how about tomorrow morning we head downtown and ask the D.A. or city attorney to show us any laws you think I have broken.
P: I'm not going to waste my time because like I said I don't know you or trust you.
G: Well that is an easy fix. We can go to the bank of your choosing and each deposit $5000 into a trust account then draw up a contract stating that if OC is illegal or if I was "brandishing" you get the $10,000 bucks. If not I do and we will have it notarized and signed. No trust issues at all!

He then just mumbled something and walked away. The others at the bar starting laughing and saying stuff like "ooohhhh someone got owned!!!!" The manager then told me sorry and that Phil was acting like an idiot. We talked for about 10 minutes about the gun culture and OC amongst other stuff. Our food was done by then and we took it home and had dinner.

Hopefully these encounters provided you with some entertainment. I could have handled each situation differently of course but I think I do o.k.

Attachments

• IMG.jpg
    IMG.jpg
    107.7 KB · Views: 152

MKEgal

greengum said:
I went to home depot ... I was then informed it was company policy to not allow guns in any of the home depot stores and that signs are clearly put up on all entrences.
PLEASE report this to corporate. That manager needs to be (re)trained.
It may be in their employee handbook, but that doesn't apply to customers.

P: It is illegal to have your gun showing... I have my CCW and I know what I am talking about.
:mad: Almost as annoying as "I'm a cop & I know what I'm talking about & you have to do what I say"...
esp. when you know for absolute positive truth that they're spewing feces out the wrong end.
That could, however, be the fault of the instructor.

Badger Johnson

Great job keeping your cool and pwoning that guy with the bet.

Last edited:

drdcup

Thanks for posting. At the time it wasn't funny, but reading your story later it is funny that the clerk thought he was getting robbed.

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
#1 is hilarious in that sad sort of pitiful way.

#2- Do you look like a cop? Either way, did you take the discount or take the opportunity to inform the cashier about open carry?

greengum

#1 is hilarious in that sad sort of pitiful way.

#2- Do you look like a cop? Either way, did you take the discount or take the opportunity to inform the cashier about open carry?

No I do not look like a cop! I didn't notice the police discount till after I left and was back at work.

jdholmes

My wife was like, "So we need to find out where that store is! As long as we are wearing guns we can get free pop and nuts!"

Haha...the bar guy is funny...but seriously....he screwed you out of a conversation with lingerie league girls? He needs to be castrated.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
I'm thiking that you may do some good if you go back to the gas station and have a friendly talk with the clerk, or better yet with his boss. First of all putting his hands up like that actually threatened you - and his keeping them up just made the matter worse. Anybody passing by could presume a robbery in progress - there is no need for a weapon to actually be drawn to meet the legal definition of armed robbery. Some Good Samaritan making the 911 call can get you in a world of problems because of the bad decisions of the clerk. Second, a real BG might just realize all this and waste the clerk to avoid the possibility of someone calling the cops - the clerk needs to know how to keep himself out of danger. Third, the manager needs to give his employee some guidance on what to do if a real robbery takes place.

As for the other places - doesn't NV have some print info you could give the managers of the other places? Let them do what they want with the piece of paper, but at least they have a place to start looking if they want to find out for themself.

Regarding Phil - ask him if he wants to use your phone to call the cops. Let them explain to him that you were not breaking any law. Either that or ask the manager if she wants to call the cops to settle the matter or does she want to tell Phil to shut up and go back to serving drinks. Either that or just complain to the manager that Phil is being rude to a customer.

stay safe.

28kfps

I receive a cop discount once at a Timberline. At first seeing the bill thinking wow the food was cheaper than I thought then saw the discount.

I have OCed many times in that same part of town. However never in that home Depot or the crazy chicken. However, in the in-n-out burger, Wal-mart, Galleria Mall, Marie Calendars, Best buy, Findly Toyota to name a few, not one word. I have been in several other Home Depots and never an issue. Not making any comparison just one never knows where the next idiot will pop up. Loved the, you want to make a bet approach. He must have taken his CCW course from the Gun Store know in the past for giving out incorrect OC info.

Having an idiot with his hands up really does send confusing signals to anyone that might have walked in. Of your postings, I believe this guys actions could have really ended up being the most hazardous.

I had an idiot pull a stunt with me here in Pahrump some weeks ago. Was getting my Mom into her handicap van. I was in the back operating the chair lift loading up her electric wheel chair into the van when this idiot walks by me says hay and gets my attention, he quickly and slightly squats with very rapped movements simulates reaching for a hip holster firearm does a quick draw monition while yelling quick draw.

The quickness and type of motion scared the $h!t out of me in a split second the next though was, is this time to go for mine. I quickly realized the idiot was goofing with me. My next though was to spew several paragraphs long statements on what a wonderful person I thought he was. However my Mom was just few feet away and I did not want to show her my pissed off vocabulary ability. I just shook my head and did not say a word. Not trying to hijack the OP issue just comparing idiots.

Last edited:

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
Not trying to hijack the OP issue just comparing idiots.

Hahahahahahaha! If we all did that, the server would overload....

This could become like telling fishing stories... Only you wouldn't have to exaggerate.

Last edited:

Baked on Grease

This could become like telling fishing stories... Only you wouldn't have to exaggerate.

You'd almost have to "dumb it down" so that it's still believable with how wild some of these stories are out there.

Sent using tapatalk

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
You'd almost have to "dumb it down" so that it's still believable with how wild some of these stories are out there.

Sent using tapatalk

My favorite one is still getting lectured about how bad guns are and that only the state should have guns, whiles standing in the aisle with all the powdered drinks. I got about 8lbs of kool aide into his cart before he noticed I was doing that... He never figured out the joke...

The Big Guy

My favorite one is still getting lectured about how bad guns are and that only the state should have guns, whiles standing in the aisle with all the powdered drinks. I got about 8lbs of kool aide into his cart before he noticed I was doing that... He never figured out the joke...

Hindsight... you should have told him that only the state should be able to express an opinion.

TBG

disneyr

Nice job all around and entertaining to boot! Thanks for posting this and please keep it up.

28kfps

I am confused as to what you are saying. Are you saying I am posting an untrue story? Read my other postings hopefully you will realize I do not post fab stories. This guy did this. It was the dumbest reaction to me open carrying ever. The a$$ hole did startle me with his stupid move. I have in person been to several of the local open carry group met ups and lunches in the past, they know me and I have no need to fabricate stories. If your are accusing me of making this up thanks for the complement there is no way in he11 I could dream up this one.

The Big Guy

I am confused as to what you are saying. Are you saying I am posting an untrue story? Read my other postings hopefully you will realize I do not post fab stories. This guy did this. It was the dumbest reaction to me open carrying ever. The a$$ hole did startle me with his stupid move. I have in person been to several of the local open carry group met ups and lunches in the past, they know me and I have no need to fabricate stories. If your are accusing me of making this up thanks for the complement there is no way in he11 I could dream up this one.

I think he is saying that "Truth, is stranger than fiction", if you remember that from the old Hee Haw TV show. It is really hard to believe that sometimes there are idiots out there walking around un-chaperoned.

TBG

MilitaryMike

I doubt that. I have a few stories that after it has happened, I can hardly believe it is true!

Last night I was standing in my garage talking on my phone getting ready to throw some lube on the old garage door (been outside maybe 2 minutes at this point with the garage door open). I heard a car pull up and out of the corner of my eye I saw it was a cop car and I was being eye balled so I told the person I was talking to that I needed to go and hung up. As soon as I did that I got hit with the spot light (it was 9 at night) and I turned to face the cop. He then asked "Do you have a permit to carry that?" and I responded "yes." and hit the button to close the door. I then waited inside to see if the guy was ballsy enough to come beat the door down...nothing ever happened. (this is North town BTW)

The Big Guy

I doubt that. I have a few stories that after it has happened, I can hardly believe it is true!

Last night I was standing in my garage talking on my phone getting ready to throw some lube on the old garage door (been outside maybe 2 minutes at this point with the garage door open). I heard a car pull up and out of the corner of my eye I saw it was a cop car and I was being eye balled so I told the person I was talking to that I needed to go and hung up. As soon as I did that I got hit with the spot light (it was 9 at night) and I turned to face the cop. He then asked "Do you have a permit to carry that?" and I responded "yes." and hit the button to close the door. I then waited inside to see if the guy was ballsy enough to come beat the door down...nothing ever happened. (this is North town BTW)

It would really be tempting to say something like "What business is it of yours? I'm standing in MY garage talking on the phone and you pull up and shine a light on me. Go away, you're annoying me." Of course up in that area he probably would have shot you. I'm surprised you didn't get swat teamed. I think a letter is in order.

TBG

JoeSparky

Centurion
I think he is saying that "Truth, is stranger than fiction", if you remember that from the old Hee Haw TV show. It is really hard to believe that sometimes there are idiots out there walking around un-chaperoned.

TBG

And they VOTE!

Back to topic: Yep, once or twice I've had the "opportunity" to explain to others that what I was doing was NOT IMPROPER or that the act of making a grab for my OC'd firearm was not an act to be done!

Lthrnck

Damn you guys...

Damn you…Greengum
Damn you…29kfps…………………………….

Besides my wife’s family members who still reside in California, there are only two things I miss about it…
El Pollo Loco and In-n-Out Burger.

Now I’m going to be craving them the rest of the week..

Damn you guys… Damn you..

I know your in Nevada, but you still reminded me of it.. <G>

Last edited: