• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Sheriff Chuck Wright Doesn’t Hold Back, Time For Citizens To Arm Themselves WYFF TV4

H

Herr Heckler Koch

http://www.wyff4.com/r/29638219/detail.html

WYFF said:
Investigators said 46-year-old Walter Lance grabbed a woman who was walking her dog in Milliken Park on Sunday afternoon. They said Lance choked the woman, made her take off her clothing and tried to rape her. (Full Story)

Lance is in custody and was denied bond on Monday.

Sheriff Chuck Wright opened his news conference by saying, "Our form of justice is not making it," and he said, "I'm really aggravated."

He said, "Carry a concealed weapon. That'll fix it."

PistolPackingMomma

This is excellent, and way over due. Spartanburg is pretty much on the news weekly with this or that murder.

oldbanger

Sheriff Chuck Wright "Dude"

MSNBC fill-in host Craig Melvin asked Sheriff Chuck Wright...

"Sheriff, if law enforcement is charged with protecting the public, then, then, then why should that not be sufficient? Why should folks have to go out and get guns and arm themselves if we've got cops?"

To which Wright responded:

"We can't be everywhere, :dude: and we are a fool if we tell everybody that we can take care of all of our problems."

Melvin: "If women are shooting potential attackers, aren't they presuming guilt before innocence? What if a woman kills an attacker? :eek: Isn't that opening another whole legal can of worms?"

Sheriff Wright: "Well, it's easy to fix that. :dude: Just don't attack a woman.... I know that this is controversial, but I do believe that people who believe in the Second Amendment and believe that they should arm themselves have a right to do so, as long as they're trained properly."

http://townhall.com/tipsheet/katiepavlich/2011/11/01/msnbc_host_why_should_people_have_guns_when_we_have_cops

Last edited:

Daylen

MSNBC fill-in host Craig Melvin asked Sheriff Chuck Wright...

"Sheriff, if law enforcement is charged with protecting the public, then, then, then why should that not be sufficient? Why should folks have to go out and get guns and arm themselves if we've got cops?"

To which Wright responded:

"We can't be everywhere, :dude: and we are a fool if we tell everybody that we can take care of all of our problems."

Melvin: "If women are shooting potential attackers, aren't they presuming guilt before innocence? What if a woman kills an attacker? :eek: Isn't that opening another whole legal can of worms?"

Sheriff Wright: "Well, it's easy to fix that. :dude: Just don't attack a woman.... I know that this is controversial, but I do believe that people who believe in the Second Amendment and believe that they should arm themselves have a right to do so, as long as they're trained properly."

http://townhall.com/tipsheet/katiepavlich/2011/11/01/msnbc_host_why_should_people_have_guns_when_we_have_cops

He's better than the libtards, but I don't trust anyone who qualifies a right with "as long as".

carsontech

Activist Member
He's better than the libtards, but I don't trust anyone who qualifies a right with "as long as".

Amen! I was with him up until he mentioned that. lol.

At least he's, seemingly, pro-gun in the hands of citizens.

Bout time somebody says it like it should be. Now the question is, if you come to this sheriff for your concealed carry will it be issued post haste...

In SC, you don't have to go to your Sheriff. You just have to mail an application, proof of training, money, and fingerprint cards to SLED (South Carolina Law Enforcement Division). The Sheriff can intervene and give a reason why not to let you have a permit. If the sheriff doesn't say anything, then SLED issues you a CWP after processing is finished and the background check comes back "clean". This whole process can take up to 90 days, but I have seen it take longer.

Last edited:

John Canuck

I agree. I didn't catch that part in the interview the first time. I was so excited to see that the Sheriff in my very own county was saying something halfway intelligent, I failed to read it as closely as I should have.:cry:

I'll still take him over the other alternative.:uhoh:

carsontech

Activist Member
True.

We're just tired of fighting the ridiculousness politics in SC. Carrying a firearm is a right, not a privilege, so we are being more critical an over thinking this than we should.

There's saving your butt, and then there's honor and standing up for what you believe in. It sounded like he did a little of both. Hopefully he was trying to say things just right to get his message across, without getting canned, and not because he believes in a permit system.

In his defense, during certain parts in his speech, it did sound like he told people to carry a firearm for protection, regardless of a permit or not. When he mentioned training, it almost sounded like an after the fact thing to "save his butt".

I agree with 99% of what the Sheriff said. So do the people of SC, the WYFF facebook page has an overwhelming number people agreeing that everyone should carry a firearm if they want to. (Yes I'm back on Facebook again. I have no friends on it, though, I just use it to consolidate subscriptions to news feeds. Sort of like RSS)

Last edited:

carsontech

Activist Member
I'm happy to report that I became a privileged citizen and received my permission slip 62 days after the application arrived at SLED.

That's a few weeks quicker than when I received mine.

Now you have to do the "Walmart Walk". :lol:

Last edited:

MilProGuy

I applaud this sheriff and his common sense approach on the right of each citizen to defend themselves.

PT111

I'm happy to report that I became a privileged citizen and received my permission slip 62 days after the application arrived at SLED.

Mine arrived in 60 days mailbox to mailbox. As for the comments about "As long as" I am going to defend the Sheriff a little bit here. First look at his comment about "I better quit before I get sanctioned". He has to follow the law at least when publicly talking about it no matter what his personal feelings are. Therefore he has to tell people to get a permit even if he instructs his deputies not to enforce it as and unwritten policy. This is quite common in SC.

Second about the "as long as", isn't part of the duty of anyone carrying a gun to at least know how to use it? I was in a gun store one day and a lady in there asked me "What is a Glock". She said that her nephew had given her a shotgun to keep in her house but he had told her that he was going to get her a Glock instead. I started talking to her and trying to explain. It soon became apparent that she kew absolutley nothing about guns or how to use them. I saw two ladies taking a CWP class that out of 100 rounds trying to hit a full body size target they hit it three times. Neither one could fire a gun without closing their eyes and turning their head. If either one was trying to defend themselves in a public setting then any bystanders would be in great danger. Carrying a gun is a right but it is also a responsibility to only carry it "as long as" you know how to use it.

I am sure that someone will find a case but in SC the general rule for most LEO is that "We don't are if you carry as long as you behave". Since OC is not permitted in SC everyone must conceal. A lot of people, and I know this for a fact, carry a concealed weapon without a CWP. However I have never heard of someone being arrested for carrying a concealed weapon that was not charged or stopped for some other reason. For instance I know many people will arry their weapon into a TGIF which is illegal. However I have never heard of someone being arrested just for that. If you start a ruckus or get into a fight then you will be charged but go in with your family and have a nice meal and don't worry about it. In fact the last time I heard anything about this type of arrest involved three drunk off-duty LEO types.

I have known many people to get charged for weapons possesion but it usually involved a fight or something similar. If you have to defend yourself and you are clearly in the right then you will not be charged. I know and and related to several deputies and highway patrolmen and they all say the same thing. They are too busy with the real lawbreakers to worry with something like concealed carry.