Thread: Employer Restrictions-for handguns in vehicles.

Employer Restrictions-for handguns in vehicles.

I know that the Act 35 says employers can't restrict handguns in vehicles if you have a CCW permit. But if you read the the law closely, it doesn't really mention if they can restrict an employee who chooses not to get a CCW permit but still keeps a handgun in the car. What do you guys think?

Wis. Stat. § 175.60(15m)(b).

(15m) EMPLOYER RESTRICTIONS. (a) Except as provided in par. (b), an employer may prohibit a licensee or
    an out−of−state licensee that it employs from carrying a
    concealed weapon or a particular type of concealed
    weapon in the course of the licensee’s or out−of−state
    licensee’s employment or during any part of the licensee’s or out−of−state licensee’s course of employment.
    (b) An employer may not prohibit a licensee or an
    out−of−state licensee, as a condition of employment,
    from carrying a concealed weapon, a particular type of
    concealed weapon, or ammunition or from storing a
    weapon, a particular type of weapon, or ammunition in
    the licensee’s or out−of−state licensee’s own motor
    vehicle, regardless of whether the motor vehicle is used
    in the course of employment or whether the motor
    vehicle is driven or parked on property used by the
    employer.

Regular Member Interceptor_Knight's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mja1000 View Post
    I know that the Act 35 says employers can't restrict handguns in vehicles if you have a CCW permit. But if you read the the law closely, it doesn't really mention if they can restrict an employee who chooses not to get a CCW permit but still keeps a handgun in the car. What do you guys think?
    An employer may enforce a no weapons policy on company property including your personal vehicle if you are not a licensee. Act 35 offers you no protections.

Quote Originally Posted by Interceptor_Knight View Post
    An employer may enforce a no weapons policy on company property including your personal vehicle if you are not a licensee. Act 35 offers you no protections.
    Thanks Interceptor, that is how I read it as well. I was just hoping to get some validation. My employer's policy is that anyone keeping their CCW in their car (in a company lot) needs to show the building facility staff proof of your permit. This makes me uncomfortable as I feel they are looking to single people out. Maybe I'm just paranoid....

Regular Member oliverclotheshoff's Avatar
    let me guess lands end??????
    SCOTT

"When guns are outlawed only outlaws will have guns"

"When seconds count police are minutes away"

"Dialing 911 only takes seconds but waiting for help may take the rest of your life"

http://g2-elite.com/phpbb/index.php Shed Hunting

Campaign Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by oliverclotheshoff View Post
    let me guess lands end??????
    That was actually going to be my guess too
    You can speak softy and carry a big stick, but I'll stick to my guns.

Member - Wisconsin Carry, Inc. http://ww.wisconsincarry.org
    Member of West Bend Barton Sportsman's Club - http://www.wbbsc.com

Quote Originally Posted by mja1000 View Post
    Thanks Interceptor, that is how I read it as well. I was just hoping to get some validation. My employer's policy is that anyone keeping their CCW in their car (in a company lot) needs to show the building facility staff proof of your permit. This makes me uncomfortable as I feel they are looking to single people out. Maybe I'm just paranoid....
    And if you have painkillers concealed in your car, are you required to be proactive and give your employer your prescription, even though he doesn't know about them?

I'm assuming the employer must already know you normally carry a firearm? Else, why would he even have cause to suspect that there might be a LEGAL firearm in the car?

There must be something I'm missing about the state of affairs in Wisconsin. If you are within the law by having your firearm in the vehicle, your employer has no business knowing what you have (if anything at all) in your vehicle.

Is this going to be a daily thing? Every time you park your car, you have to show your security personnel your permit on your way into the building while you are UNARMED? Or just the first day? Are they going to ASK people if they have firearms in their car, and then demand to see a permit? I'm just stupefied, so I'm probably rambling on.

Tell him to make sure to check your tire tread for baldness, too, while it's parked out there, since he's so concerned that you are obeying the law on his parking lot.

Regular Member oliverclotheshoff's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TaurusToter View Post
    That was actually going to be my guess too
    i work for lands end in reedsburg and my super brought over a copy of the new policy and it says exactly what mja was getting at
    SCOTT

"When guns are outlawed only outlaws will have guns"

"When seconds count police are minutes away"

"Dialing 911 only takes seconds but waiting for help may take the rest of your life"

http://g2-elite.com/phpbb/index.php Shed Hunting

My company recently published a statement as well. No weapons in any buildings or on the premises. Said they will be posting signs as well although today nothing was yet posted.

After I get my CCP how will they ever know I have anything in my car. I don't plan to advertise it.

On a long gun issue, I wonder if they ever considered how many rifles and/or shotguns were in vehicles on the Friday just prior to gun deer season.
    Rick
    "Don't draw fire, it irritates the people around you."