• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

rough day

chris829

Today I was hanging out around Salisbury and I was OCing. I went to CiCi's pizza, the comic monstore, mega mart (never heard of it before), the a gun store on Jake Alexander Blvd. I then went to the Salisbury mall to go to books-a-million and take the wife to cato. while walking I had a guy come up and question me. Here is the convo.

GUY: Excuse me, are you a cop?
ME: No,why?
GUY: Do you have a concealed carry permit?
ME: No, that's why I open carry.
GUY: Well you're not allowed to just walk around the mall with gun on your hip.
ME: Sir, there's not sign on the door that says I can't.
GUY: Well you just can't do that.
ME: There's no sign on the door saying that I can't.
GUY: Well you don't have a concealed carry.
ME: Sir, you don't have to have a concealed carry to open carry.
GUY: Well I'm going to call the police and ask them about it.
ME: If that's what you feel like you need to do.

He calls the police dept and talks to them for a second then tells the police officer to tell me what they told him. He hands me the phone
ME: Hello:
COP ON PHONE: Sir, why are you carrying a gun around at the mall?
ME: Well, I open carry everywhere I go that I'm legally allowed to carry.
COP ON PHONE: Sir, you're not allowed to carry a firearm in the public like that.
ME: Yes I can. The law says I can carry. I'm carrying open, my weapon out in the open. I don't know what the problem is.
COP ON PHONE: Right now you're going armed to the terror of the public.
ME: Well, sir, my weapon is in a retention holster. It's not going anywhere, my hand isn't on it, I'm not causing a scene. I'm just out with my wife.
COP ON PHONE: Well, do you want me to send a cop out there and see what he says?
ME: You do whatever you feel like you need to do.
COP ON PHONE: Okay, I'm going to send one out there, where are you at?
ME: Outside of cato at the mall.

The guy kept asking me about gun laws and asking where I can and can't carry and said he's never seen anyone carry a gun in the mall. Asked me if I carry in places like Walmart, K-mart, ect. So the officer finally arrived and he comes up and asks what the problem is.

GUY: I had a complaint about him carrying his gun and asked him to put it in the vehicle or leave.
ME: No, he said no such thing. (My wife at this point is livid)
COP: Well, sir there's no sign on the door, he's not doing anything wrong. You are allowed to carry a firearm on your side in the state. All you can do is ask him to leave.
GUY: I've never seen someone carry. If its legal, then why don't more people carry?
ME: That's because most people don't know you can or they carry concealed.
COP: He's right. More people carry than you think.
GUY: I still didn't know you were allowed to carry.
COP: Well, all you can do legally is ask him to leave. He's doing nothing wrong.
ME: If had asked me to leave, I would've been gone already.
GUY: Well, leave.
ME: Okay, well you have a good day, officer. I'm going out the entrance I came in at.

it sucked guys. but i think it went a lot better than it could have. what do you guys think?

Last edited:

PistolPackingMomma

It sounds like you handled it all very well. Another good reason to carry a recorder, what with that guy trying to claim he said something he didn't. Glad the 2nd cop that responded knew the law and behaved professionally (you got lucky there, that he came and not the guy on the phone!), although if I were you I'd follow up with the 1st cop and see his boss gets him some training. Was the guy at the mall an employee?

nobama

Well, you did all you could do. The good news is, the LEO that showed up was educated on NC law, but the one on the phone, not so much. Just another example of how different LEO handle situations. Dont get me wrong,you didnt cause the situation,the bed wetter did.

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
Sounds like you had a blast. You were much more polite than I would have been. I would have told the guy to mind his business and kept on walking.

muccione

Another well done job. I would never have talked to the unknown person on the phone. I don't think I would have entertained that ass for very long. After finding out he was the/a manager I would just ask him if he wanted me to leave.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Another well done job. I would never have talked to the unknown person on the phone. I don't think I would have entertained that ass for very long. After finding out he was the/a manager I would just ask him if he wanted me to leave.

Never ask what they want you to do! It's like asking them to put up a sign - only bad things will come of it and you will spoil it for everybody else.

Kudos for the cop the OP dealt with. He handled it both professionally and in a way that did not intrude on either you or the mall manager's rights.

stay safe.

chiefjason

FWIW, a lot of malls have no firearms policies. They are rarely ever posted conspicuously. Sometimes not posted, or in some out of the way spot by the office. I generally recommend climbing the food chain on these issues. But if they have a policy if might not do much good. I try not to frequent the mall much.

Good job keeping your cool. Glad the cop knew what to do.

brutus1776

much respect for holding your ground and good to hear you were dealing with a peace officer and not some 'rogue' or 'intimidating' cop that know what the heck he was talking about. surprisingly many cops just dont know the law on OC

good day all around i'd say. your rights were respected, and the controller of the property got a lesson in OC

Last edited:

aosailor

might get the cops calld dude

Your cop already told you and the manager its not illegal and nothing wrong. the manager asked why more people dont open carry.... so lets show him that plenty of people carry, its just that nobody shops at his crappy mall!

aosailor

well the manager never told ME to leave, as long as there are no signs on the doors, I'll just pretend I never heard this story :D

muccione

OC at the Salisbury mall, just in time for holiday shopping! Sounds like a plan!

Ya get several hundreds of dollars worth of goods in a cart and just keep strolling around till your asked to put the gun away. Then say no gun, no money from me, and walk out