Thread: Sheriff: Time For Citizens To Arm Themselves

Las Cruces, New Mexico, USA

Sheriff: Time For Citizens To Arm Themselves

Read the whole thing...even though he says they should get a Concealed Carry permit/license...more importantly, he says to get armed to prevent this kind of attack.

Way to go sheriff.

SPARTANBURG COUNTY, S.C. -- The Spartanburg County Sheriff is known for speaking his mind, and at a news conference on Monday, he didn't hold back his anger and frustration after a woman was attacked in a park over the weekend.

Investigators said 46-year-old Walter Lance grabbed a woman who was walking her dog in Milliken Park on Sunday afternoon. They said Lance choked the woman, made her take off her clothing and tried to rape her. (Full Story)

Lance is in custody and was denied bond on Monday.

Unedited: Sheriff Wright’s News Conference
    Sheriff Chuck Wright opened his news conference by saying, "Our form of justice is not making it."

He said, "Carry a concealed weapon. That'll fix it."

Read more:

Read more:

Cleveland Ohio

That's awesome. More so, it's true. my grandfather was right. he said a few years back. "Someday, people are going to start carrying guns they did in the old west." He is right. Personal responsibility doesn't go away, and it doesn't take a vacation.
    T.V. brings on a whole new meaning to thinking inside the box.

Charlotte, NC

Smart Sheriff

I only live an hour or so from Spartanburg, and I am glad that a LEO finally decided to say what we already know. I cannot, however, believe the national insanity (controversy) that his words have sparked.

I almost never go anywhere without my handgun, as NC is an open carry state. When you see me grocery shopping with my children I have a handgun in a holster on my hip. And the best two reasons are 3 and 4 years old, standing right next to me. When the difference between life is death is just seconds, the police are minutes away. There is a difference between self defense/defense of others, and vigilantism. Prevention of a serious crime against yourself or others is justifiable. Even the wild west had laws. Going out looking for criminals in order to do harm to them, makes you a criminal.

In my opinion, if all law abiding citizens were willing to get and continue the proper training, and carry a weapon on their hip, there would be far less crime in this country. It's a rare criminal that attacks a person they know is carrying a weapon. The change in your pocket is not worth the risk of their life. They look for the defenseless and weak. Concealed carry is a great option, but a criminal about to commit a crime, who doesn't see a weapon, attempts to commit the crime. A criminal who sees a person with a handgun on their hip turns and walks the other direction. Criminals are cowards and they look for soft targets. Hard to find when everyone is armed. Don't just buy a gun and carry it, though. That just makes you a liability. If you are going to carry a weapon for your defense and that of your family, train. Train and never stop.

Regular Member frommycolddeadhands's Avatar
    Knob Noster, MO
    Saw this on the news. Apparently the thing that sparked his comments had to do with a woman who was attacked by a repeat offender who has been in and out of jail multiple times. The Sheriff commented that he's frustrated with the way the system operates. Especially since we can't seem to keep hardened criminals who we KNOW are dangerous, behind bars.

He gave a great interview and seemed like a genuinely nice guy.
    God is the one driving this stagecoach, I'm just riding shotgun.