• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Calling all 1911 lovers

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
I have reached my 1911th post so I thought I would use it to dedicate a thread to one of the greatest handgun designs in the history of firearms.

I will start by saying this thread is only for those who love the 1911. 1911 hate is NOT welcome here. And yes, I'm serious.

Every gun owner should have at least one 1911. I love the 1911. I love the way they look. I love the way they feel in my hand. I love the way they function. I have four of them. None of mine are super expensive or super fancy. I don't have any Kimbers or Springfields or Sigs. The ones I do have have been really good to me.

Here is my 1911 family. From top to bottom, a Taurus PT1911, a Rock Island Armory Tactical Duo-Tone, another Rock Island Armory, and my little Charles Daly.

ad494d13-75af-cde7.jpg

All of my grips are Raasco grips available at http://www.raascogrips.com I found this company by chance and I love their grips. Excellent craftsmanship and lots of options.

So what do you all love about the 1911? Share some pictures!!

jeeper1

I acquired this 2 months ago. I have taken it out twice now and have put 409 rounds through it. Ten were SBR brand green tracers and the rest were lead bullets that I cast over 30 years ago. I has been flawless in operation except that I sometimes accidentally hit the safety with my thumb.I'm left handed and need the ambi safety but obviously I need to modify my grip so I stop putting the safety on.
A previous owner replaced the barrel and recoil spring assembly and added the funnel thing at the bottom of the grip.
It is more accurate than I am. I am very pleased with it.
Mitchell_Arms_Gold_Series_95.jpg

scf0006_1.jpg

Last edited:

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
I cut my teeth on a Springfield Armory Mil-Spec of my dad's before entering the US Navy. The M9 was then current-issue, but I was stateside and we were still training with the M1911A1, which I used to earn my Expert Pistol Medal. I was then chosen as a peer instructor for the M1911A1, and was part of the US Navy Combat Pistol Team that was allowed to use our issued M1911A1 service pistols to represent the US Navy at local USPSA matches at Fort Mead and other nearby locations.

Later, I carried a Colt Series 80 Combat Elite.
Today, I carry a Kimber Custom Covert II.

My dad still carries his Springfield Armory Mil-Spec.

I admit the 1911 is not a beginner's gun, and its replacement by the military was probably a good thing in that regard. But for pistoleros, there is no finer piece.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
How can you say a 1911 is not for beginners? The .mil has thrown literally millions of newbies at the 1911 and taught them all how to hit the target and how to do basic care of the handgun. And all with pistols that usually rattled worse that great-granddad's Model A on a washboard road.

It is perhaps the only gun that can be used effectively straight out of the box or modified to the point that there is not an original piece left. You can spend just enough time with it to punch holes in paper or teach cans how to dance, or you can devote a lifetime to mastering the intracasies it is capable of. Either way it is a great gun.

In deference to your request for no 1911 "hate" I will not mention that there are other guns out there.:eek:

stay safe.

matt2636

im always torn between my glock 21 and my 1911. both fantastic. you cant beat the glock finish either. a 1911 finished in tenifer?? id like to see them go head to head then. but you cant argue its history. every conflict we have been in since WWI there has been a 1911 in some americans hand. to my knowledge no other pistol has that on a 1911. a pistol goin through 2 world wars is pretty impressive. i have a kimber desert warrior and a 1913 made 1911 and that 98 year old horse will shoots just as good as my glock will. though i dont ever shoot it really. would i carry it for protection?? you bet! as old as she is i might have to just replace the srpings and thats it. when i have shot it i didnt have any issues so shes prolly good. its got a rep you cant argue with.

Last edited:

RetiredOC

Campaign Veteran
I HATE 1911s! /trolling

I have a 9mm 1911 and love it.

To the man who says he is torn between Glocks and 1911s. I feel your pain. I want to carry a good capacity auto with the reliability of of a Glock... but the feel of a 1911 in your hands just makes your balls drop a little more.

I just ordered a Sig 229. I feel that it gives me a mix between a modern day reliable hand gun and the 1911 steel / exposed hammer feel. I'm afraid to like it more than my Glock. I love Glocks...and 1911s...

In summation, Glock should offer a handgun with a 1911 shell but Glock style internal. In steel or polymer and in all the calibers Glock supports now. They would sell like hot cakes.

sent from my phone, excuse my grammar/spelling errors

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
SNIP In summation, Glock should offer a handgun with a 1911 shell but Glock style internal. In steel or polymer and in all the calibers Glock supports now. They would sell like hot cakes.

You mean like the Glock 1911?

ad494d13-3c63-a2fa.jpg

Yes, I know it is fake. A Glock 1911 would be an abomination.

carsontech

Activist Member
Nice set of 1911s thebigsd! Armscore 1911s are awesome!

I have had two Armscore 1911s and they functioned flawlessly, a Rock Island Armory Compact Tactical and the Citadel equivalent. Then I went to a loaded Springfield Champion that had the OD green frame with 4 inch barrel. Now I have a doublstack composite frame Kimber 1911 with 4 inch barrel. Well, I call it a "1911", lol. I've had about every other kind of gun in between those 1911s, though. I usually get one to two guns a month by trading.

I'm dying to own a full sized 1911. I have never owned a one with a 5 inch barrel because I carry every gun I own, and we can only carry concealed down here in SC.

Last edited:

Riana

I can definitely feel the love for the 1911. I have four - two full-size, and two 4". My favorite is my Springfield Champion, which is my usual OC partner:

MilProGuy

pt1911algrayc.jpg
pt1911algraya.jpg

I only have one 1911: a Taurus PT1911AL.

It is the most accurate handgun I own, with the sweetest trigger I've ever had the pleasure of pulling.

jayspapa

My first 1911 was a Colt Combat Commander back in mid 70's . I worked my way up to a Colt Gold Cup . I now have a Kimber Tactical Ultra ll for carrying concealed or openly when I am out of this fine state I live in.

After all... what's not to like about a 1911?

RabbiVJ

Campaign Veteran
ill play along...

IMG_20111103_052559.jpg

From left clockwise

Kimber Pro Carry II
Citadel Compact
Springfield EMP .40

Ruger

Occupied Greensboro, North Carolina, United States
I'm dying to own a full sized 1911. I have never owned a one with a 5 inch barrel because I carry every gun I own, and we can only carry concealed down here in SC.

I OC and CC a 5" 1911 (concealing it *right now* at work!). Don't let the CC requirement in SC stop you. If you can CC a 4", then You can CC a 5". The grip is the same - the only difference is the extra inch of slide & barrel, which really isn't going to make it difficult to conceal.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using Tapatalk

SavageOne

I own two 1911s, both Rock Islands. A full size GI, that I replaced the slide on, and a 3.5' Officers, that is my daily carry. I originally carried the GI and never had an issue when carrying concealed. I used a ITW leather holster from Blackhawk. Great holster never was a problem. Hell, I love 1911s so much my .22 is a 1911. A GSG 1911, great little plinker.

carsontech

Activist Member
I OC and CC a 5" 1911 (concealing it *right now* at work!). Don't let the CC requirement in SC stop you. If you can CC a 4", then You can CC a 5". The grip is the same - the only difference is the extra inch of slide & barrel, which really isn't going to make it difficult to conceal.

Concealing a 5 inch is not an issue for me. Its more of an issue of acquiring a 5 inch 1911.

You see, I have to trade my guns to acquire a different gun, because I have NO money. A lot of people down here in SC are heavily into concealment and are scared to death of printing or accidental flashing. This scares alot of people into buying smaller guns. What they dont know is 1911s are awesome for concealment! They are very slim when compared to most other handguns guns out on the market, especially most .45 ACP chambered handguns. Thanks a lot SC politics....

All there is for trading around here is compact stuff. Plus, there isn't a very active firearm scene down here in SC.

Just check out CarlolinaShootersForum and ArmsList. When compared to NC, SC has MMUUCCCHHH less activity regarding the selling and trading of firearms. PalmettoShootersForum and UpstateGunTrader is the only really active place for that kind of stuff. Add the compact, concealed carry only, mentality most have around here to that, and you get a trading market that has jack squat to pick from.

Last edited:

SFCRetired

During an Army career dating back to 1961, I was only ever aware of two problems with 1911s.

1. My step-brother, a now-retired Chief Gunner's Mate (guns) told me that one of the reasons for inaccuracy in these pistols was a failure of the unit armorer to replace worn barrel bushings. I tried that in a unit I was in and the improvement in accuracy was quite noticeable.

2. Some of the military police failed to follow the proper procedure in clearing their weapons. Most of them carried with the hammer down on an empty chamber. To clear, they should have dropped the mag and racked the slide, checked the chamber, and then pulled the trigger to lower the hammer. Far too many of them racked the slide, dropped the mag, and then pulled the trigger.

I don't know the numbers, but I do remember several MPs killed or wounded from this failure.

For what it is worth, I only know of one soldier who had a problem firing a 1911. She was trying to fire with one hand as she had been taught (West Point, I think) and her hand was just not big enough. I showed the young officer how to fire using both hands and she had much less of a problem.

I carry a Springfield Champion and I absolutely love it.