• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Calling all 1911 lovers

Redbaron007

I don't own a 1911....my father has several....half the time they shoot, other half you have to figure out what is wrong. That was my first impression, for years, of 1911s.

However, as I have ageded, they have grown on me. :D My goal is to apprehend one of the new Ruger SR1911s within the next year or so. My next purchase is a Glock G20, then comes the SR1911.

j4l

THE combat pistol of all-time. Hands-down. (yes, a few others follow suit,but the original can still hang with the best of em)
THE 1st semi-auto I ever handled, learned on, or used in anger- and THE one I would chose for same if given the chance.
Deeply regret having sold an old Colt series 70, and a Llama 1911 clone Id had yrs back, before moving to NY (where we couldnt carry them).
Def. planning on adding at least two back into the arsenal someday.. ,including one to build up as a .460 and/or one of the 1911-based carbines..

Cant beat the grip shape/angle, the slim, slab-sides, and the feel of the steel when firing.

Marco

These are web pics as I don't usually post pics of my personal collection unless they are for sale.
My carry Coonan has a 6" barrel, I've been known to carry other calibers that many would question and a few different platforms.

Attachments

• coonan_357ammo_0862.jpg
    coonan_357ammo_0862.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 173
  • webpistol.jpg
    webpistol.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 197
  • splash.jpg
    splash.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 288
Last edited:

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
These are web pics as I don't post pics of my personal collection unless they are for sale.
My carry Coonan has a 6" barrel, I've been known to carry other calibers that many would question and a few different platforms.

That's a cool one. I haven't seen one of those before.

Marco

That's a cool one. I haven't seen one of those before.

Barring unforseen circumstances it will be at Lobby Day, look for the guy wearing shorts and sandals.
Come to the next shoot I post and have a go with it. :)

I have more 1911's than any other style of firearm.

Last edited:

Wolfgang1952

This is my Baby, model of 1911. The barrel and bushing have been changed. When I OC I usually carry my baby in military stile web.

004Colt1911OCFullKit.jpg

004AOCKit.jpg

Last edited:

Redbaron007

Nice looking 1911...lots of character!

It reminds me of one of my granfather's 1911. I wished I could have gotten it after he passed away. Stupid me! :banghead:

Wolfgang1952

I acquired my Colt back in the early 70’s. I used it as my duty weapon when I was a LEO. Down in St Bernard Parish, La. I carry it most of the time around hear and town. If I find myself going down to the BIG SIS POOL (New Orleans) I carry my S&W Sigma 40 cal. I can’t afford to lose my 1911.
There’s something about the 1911, it kind of just fits the hand.

okboomer

Mostly 1911 frame here, too ... along with several other mil-spec long guns :cool:

Kimber UCII .45
I won this gun
45pistolMediumWebview.jpg

Springfield EMP 9mm
Sweetness
9mmSize.jpg

CZ75B Even with "small paws"
I can shoot this with the factory grip
czdetail.jpg

Last edited:

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
In summation, Glock should offer a handgun with a 1911 shell but Glock style internal.

What sort of heresy is this!?

Probably the best thing the 1911 has on a Glock, aside from the correct grip angle, are the internals. Glock triggers make me throw up in my mouth just a little bit.

Just buy a double-stack 1911. Problem solved.

Personally, I prefer the slim frame of a single stack. A good daily carry gun has to be practical and comfortable enough that you actually want to carry it. Considering the 1911 seems to disappears on the belt, it can spend its whole life there. 7+1 rounds of .45 ACP which I have are heck of a lot better than 17 rounds of 9mm which I don't. ;)

Last edited:

Gil223

I have owned five 1911-style pistols - 1 Llama .45acp, 1 Colt 1911A1 .45acp, 1 Colt Lightweight Commander 9mm (1968), 1 Randall Service Model C .45acp (Technically "Model A231" - 1983), and 1 Israel Arms International M5000 GAL .45acp. Of the five, I have only parted with the Llama and the 1911A1, as the LW Commander has sentimental value (besides having a beautiful finish of deep blue and nickel), the Randall has collector value, and the IAI M5000 is the best shooting box-stock .45acp I have ever handled (it resembles the Colt Delta Elite at about ½ the cost). Pax...

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
Bump. Because there a bunch of new members on the site and I still love 1911s! Keep posting about your 1911s here. And as before, your 1911 hate ain't welcome here.

Last edited: