Thread: West Virginia Gun Laws Pamphlet

West Virginia Gun Laws Pamphlet

I created a gun laws pamphlet for West Virginia. It's in the same format as the Virginia and North Carolina pamphlets.

Here's the link to the to the pamphlet, in PDF file format (updated 8/23/2012):

http://carsontech.webs.com/Gun%20Law...%208-23-12.pdf
    Last edited by carsontech; 08-23-2012 at 05:47 PM. Reason: Updated Pamphlet 8/23/2012

State Researcher

Post Suggested Edits

Page 1, column 1, line 2: "3-22" should be "Art. III, § 22"

Page 1, column 1: "States that Honor Virginia's CHL" should be "States that Honor West Virginia's CHL" and Hawaii does not honor any other state's CHL.

Page 1, center column: "Virginia Citizen’s Defense League" should be "West Virginia Citizens Defense League"

Page 1, center column: the most correct link for the Legislature's web site is http://www.legis.state.wv.us/

Page 2, column 1: the Martinsburg city building carry ban is NOT grandfathered under state law. One of the issues in WVCDL v. City of Martinsburg is WVCDL's contention that the ordinance violates the preemption law.
    James M. "Jim" Mullins, Jr., Esq.
    Admitted to practice in West Virginia and Florida.

Founder, Past President, Treasurer, and General Counsel, West Virginia Citizens Defense League, Inc.
    Life Member, NRA

Fixed. Links updated to latest revision.

Since I updated the Virgina one recently, I used it as a template. It looks like I forgot to overwrite Virginia with West Virginia in a few places in the first revision.

As for how HI got in there, I have no clue. 2 in the morning must have caused that, haha.

Looks like I need to fix some boundary issues in the document. The pamphlet doesn't come out right for me when printing. I will have move everything more inwards, away form the edges, and away from where the folds in the document are suppose to be. I can have that done tonight or very early tomorrow morning.

State Researcher
    Quote Originally Posted by carsontech View Post
    Looks like I need to fix some boundary issues in the document. The pamphlet doesn't come out right for me when printing. I will have move everything more inwards, away form the edges, and away from where the folds in the document are suppose to be. I can have that done tonight or very early tomorrow morning.
    The correct fix for that is for the individual printing it to adjust the page scaling in the print settings to "shrink to printable area"

Also, on Page 1, center column, WVCDL's name does not contain an apostrophe.
    Last edited by JimMullinsWVCDL; 11-02-2011 at 05:36 AM.
    James M. "Jim" Mullins, Jr., Esq.
    Admitted to practice in West Virginia and Florida.

Founder, Past President, Treasurer, and General Counsel, West Virginia Citizens Defense League, Inc.
    Life Member, NRA

Quote Originally Posted by JimMullinsWVCDL View Post
    The correct fix for that is for the individual printing it to adjust the page scaling in the print settings to "shrink to printable area"

That would work, but it scales it down too much, so there is not enough space where the folds need to happen for the pamphlet to come out ok. Its my falt, I ignored the "outside of print boundaries" error in Microsoft Publisher, thinking the "scale to print area" trick would fix it.

Quote Originally Posted by JimMullinsWVCDL
    Also, on Page 1, center column, WVCDL's name does not contain an apostrophe.
    I'll fix this as well. Thanks!
    Last edited by carsontech; 11-02-2011 at 05:41 AM.

I printed this with Foxit Reader, which has a "Fit to paper" scaling that comes up as the default. It came out fine, folds and everything.

I've wanted something like this for a while, my thanks to both of you guys!

It looks very good!

The font on the section concerning Martinsburg. It looks a bit different than the rest.

Can't find anything else.

It folded fine for me, everything lined up nicely.

I might have to print out a few hundred of these.

I corrected the font issue with the Martinsburg verbiage under "Places Off-Limits While Carrying:".

I also condensed everything just a hair, so the pamphlet would print fine whether or not a user selects a "shrink to printable area" option. I also increased the blank space between the sections, where the folds are suppose to be, to help out people who are sloppy at folding, like me.

Thanks for the help guys. I only have time to work on this while on breaks at work. I don't have time at home. Everything I do is usually rushed becasue I'm so busy at work and it helps having someone point out things.

All the praise should go to WVCDL, as they are the ones who came up with most of the verbiage. This helped me out a lot because of time restraints in creating this pamphlet. I didn't ask for permission to use it, and I didn't get flamed from the WVCDL for using it.

The original intent was to create this pamphlet for just my wife, as she was visiting her family in WV this week. Then I remembered that WV didn't have something to print out quickly for reference or to handout for education, that I could find. I decided to put it up here for all to be able to use.

My thanks go out to the WVCDL!

Also, if anyone sees a young lady in the Martinsburg area this week, open carrying a small Glock while toting a baby around, don't get on her bad side.. shes feisty
    Last edited by carsontech; 11-02-2011 at 07:52 PM.

Anyone think this should be a sticky?

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by carsontech View Post
    Anyone think this should be a sticky?
    Yes.

Fixed a few things with the verbiage in the "States that honor West Virginia’s CHL" section and fixed the heading for the "To be licensed to carry..." section.

http://carsontech.webs.com/WV%20Gun%...2%209-28AM.pdf

I also updated the link in the original post to point to the updated pamphlet.

I hope we can get this turned into a sticky. I had forgotten about this pamphlet.

Founder's Club Member Grapeshot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Shallnotbeinfringed View Post
    I hope we can get this turned into a sticky. I had forgotten about this pamphlet.
    Done.

Educate, educate and win!
    Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time.

Yata hey

I whipped this pamphlet out when I was stopped by LEOS this morning. While they were conferring with each other I was priming my brain. Long story short I knew I was legal, and they let me go. Thanks for the pamphlet though, I never open carry without it.

Good for you and everyone that OC's if one person lets one LEO get away with violating civil rights, then they tell thier LEO buddy's. But when one OC'er stand's up and keep them in check, then we tell our buddy's, and education is passed on and our rights stay in place. Di you have a recorder?
    I am not a gun nut, nor am I a nut with a gun
    I simply rufuse to be a helpless victim, I may be unable to stop myself from being a victim but at least I wont be helpless

no i wasnt recording. i know i should always record these interactions, but i did not have a recording device with me.

Regular Member twoskinsonemanns's Avatar
    the very last word of the pamplet is "and".... Is there supposed to be more?

"Have successfully completed one of several
    specified forms of training in handling and "
    Gun Control:
    Obama-
    “I just want you to know we’re working on it. We have to go through a few processes, but under the radar.”

Romney-
    "I would have supported the original assault weapon ban"
    In 2004, Gov. Romney signed a firearms reform bill that made permanent the ban on assault weapons and steeply increased fees on gun owners by 400%

Gary Johnson-
    "I don't believe there should be any restrictions when it comes to firearms. None."
    "If you outlaw guns, only outlaws will have guns."

Founder's Club Member Grapeshot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by twoskinsonemanns View Post

Think you're supposed to turn it over and continue.

Agree though that it is an awkward apparent ending to that bullet point.
    Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time.

Yata hey

Quote Originally Posted by twoskinsonemanns View Post

Thanks for catching that. I just fixed it.

Also, I updated what states honor WV's Pistol/Revolver License (CHL), cleaned up some useless verbiage/content, and put an emphasis on the minimum legal age to posses/carry a handgun in WV.

I updated the link in my original post to point to the updated pamphlet.