• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Best way to lock your gun in your car long trem

fire suppressor

I work at one of those places who actually believe if they put up a sign that says no firearms the sign will keep all of them out including the ones the criminals are wearing, I wish I could spend just one day in their delusional world. So regardless to say I have to leave my XD in my car for long periods of time. I am uncomfortable just leaving my gun in the trunk or under my seat all alone for so many hours I was wondering if anyone know of a good little lock box or method I could use while at work to keep my gun safe

Last edited:

OrangeIsTrouble

Utilize the lock that came with the firearm (or get free from po po). Just run the cable through the slide and magwell and attach it to something near the firewall. Hidden out of view but quickly accessible for someone that knows it's there. Be creative. If you got an old vehicle and don't care, cut a slit in the seat and hide it in there using the same cable lock method.

Or to have some fun, take the slide off and keep it in your pocket, if anything you can still kind of pistol whip people.

Or get a cat liter box, fill it up with stinky wet poo poo and ziplock your XD and drop it in there.

Get a fruitcake, throw it in the back and stick it in there! When I say throw it, I mean throw it!

Oh btw, IANAL and not responsible if you catch any diseases or other injuries or psychological damage from these methods.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
There are many ways of securing your handgun inside the car. The problem is that most of them involve movements that draw attention to the fact that you are doing something unusual. And that stimulates the curiosity of the folks who do not respect the concept of private property.

Whatever you do, figure out a way to do it that does not look like you are hiding something or otherwise being furtive. Folks with center consoles seem to have the most options both for lockboxes and being able to transfer in and out of the box without drawing undue attention to what they are doing. using a cable lock to secure it to the seat assembly seems to draw even more attention than putting something in the trunk.

stay safe.

amlevin

I like to travel and often find myself having to lock up the pistol while away from my vehicle for extended periods. I've found one of these to be great:

GV1000CDLX_1.jpg

I have plenty of room behind a read seat in my truck and also have one in my Travel Trailer.

It's a "Gun Vault Mini" and they can be purchased for under $100 from many sources. Even available with "biometric" keypads for those who are "memory challenged" and might forget the "code".

Metalhead47

I work at one of those places who actually believe if they put up a sign that says no firearms the sign will keep all of them out including the ones the criminals are wearing, I wish I could spend just one day in their delusional world. So regardless to say I have to leave my XD in my car for long periods of time. I am uncomfortable just leaving my gun in the trunk or under my seat all alone for so many hours I was wondering if anyone know of a good little lock box or method I could use while at work to keep my gun safe

What do you drive? If its a poplar model, Tuffy products makes some well respected secure lockers for vehicles that are also easily accessible. If you have a big enough console, you could also look into having a universal type locker installed in it. Trunk is an easy solution too. If the box is properly installed, anyone who sees you locking it in there better have a torch or angle grinder if they plan to go after it once you leave.

Then there's always custom. My own lock box is 1/8th welded steel plate. Could probably survive a small bomb.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

amzbrady

Sad thing is out here in the Tri-Cities, they just steal the whole car...

KEPR action news says "50% of all car prowls happen, just because you are leaving your doors unlocked". I guess it would be safe to assume that the other 50% are happening because you do not leave your doors unlocked, or maybe 100% of all car prowls happen because you have a car and there are criminals.

Justman1020

Ive been thinking about this, and i think the best bet is to get one of the small key entry safes (they go for like 25$ from gun vault) and screw it into the trunk somewhere. (Spare tire area maybe?) that way you can lock the weapon, its screwed to the car itself, and you can lock the trunk.

Badger Johnson

Though it might involve a lot of 'fussing' with the firearm, I like the idea of disassembling it and taking the slide. Or, if you have the room, have two safes bolted to the floor and put the slide in one and the base/composite part in the other.

Having said that, ordinary caution should suffice. Locking it up, hiding it and locking your car, parking in a well-lighted area, maybe right under a security camera.

hermannr

I know a lot of newer vehicles have "map" pockets in the door. Even my 1986 Bronco has them. I think it would be easy to modify one of these to be a secure place for a pistol that is not too large. I know in my wife's car the "Map Pocket" is hinged and opens, I don't think it would be difficult to make it lockable.

Metalhead47

I know a lot of newer vehicles have "map" pockets in the door. Even my 1986 Bronco has them. I think it would be easy to modify one of these to be a secure place for a pistol that is not too large. I know in my wife's car the "Map Pocket" is hinged and opens, I don't think it would be difficult to make it lockable.

idea.gif

Reminds me of a TV show, SVU I think, where they rigged a hidden door in the door panel of a van that popped open to reveal a gun when the A/C & radio were set just so....

MadHatter66

I use one of these...what they don't show you in the picture is the cable that goes into the slot at the bottom left of the safe and then around something sturdy in your car... I use mine all the time for securing my weapon in my car...there is a key lock version and a combo lock version....

http://www.amazon.com/Secure-It-Handgun-Storage-Safe/dp/B000HBB15U

I have mine here close to you, if you want to take a look at one PM me... Could meet up for coffee...

BigDave

Opt-Out Members
I as well have a couple of simple lock boxes with a cable attached and know for a small price a set of cable cutters and within seconds they are off and running, assuming of course they have cutters with them at the time.
I one of my vehicles I have a locking glove box that worked pretty well but still can be broken into, so the old adage of keeping honest people honest.

It is of concern to me when securing my weapon when or if I have to and making to many movements or actions that would lead someone knowing you are either hiding or securing something.

I do like the way amlevin suggested, Gun Vault Mini as long as it is bolted down inside the vehicle and out of sight.

ghosthunter

If you have space under the passenger seat, this works well:

http://www.center-of-mass.com/Store_InCarGunSafe.htm

If you're worried about being observed locking up your sidearm, keep it low while doing so and try to park away from people; you may want to consider getting your car windows tinted.

That is exactly what I use. Had one about two years now. Wont work for a large frame like a Judge but works well for S&W Sigma 9mm. I have a four door cab so I have my back up gun in a padded hard handgun case behind the rea rseat. A padlock on the case and a bike cable going through the case handle to the seat springs.

ghosthunter

How strong are the cables the boxes are using? Would it be easy for anyone to cut the cable and run off with it

Lets face it. If someone wants to take it and they have enough time , they will get it. I never leave firearms over night. But during the day at work. There is nothing on the market that is 100%.

I have a car alarm, so I am hoping they will not take the time to try to take the lock box with the alarm going off. But my rig is just 50 feet from my office.