• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Best way to lock your gun in your car long trem

amlevin

Sad thing is out here in the Tri-Cities, they just steal the whole car...

KEPR action news says "50% of all car prowls happen, just because you are leaving your doors unlocked".

Or you own a Honda that can be stolen by a beginning teen aged car thief. There's a reason that they regularly are the "Most Stolen" car, they're the easiest.

amlevin

View attachment 7267

Reminds me of a TV show, SVU I think, where they rigged a hidden door in the door panel of a van that popped open to reveal a gun when the A/C & radio were set just so....

Those are called "traps". Usually installed in cars to smuggle drugs. Might be able to buy a vehicle with one of these installed at a "Drug Seizure Auction";)

Badger Johnson

Good thread. I, personally, would not feel secure stashing my firearm in a vehicle unless there was a floor safe installed at the build which was welded to the frame and hidden. Those cabled boxes are basically a 'steal me now' device since it's easy to cut the cable with a good folding knife even. It might be better to hide the gun in two pieces so that any thief would have to spend too much time looking.

Metalhead47

Lets face it. If someone wants to take it and they have enough time , they will get it. I never leave firearms over night. But during the day at work. There is nothing on the market that is 100%.

I have a car alarm, so I am hoping they will not take the time to try to take the lock box with the alarm going off. But my rig is just 50 feet from my office.

There's no such thing as "theft-proof." The idea is deterrence. Making your stuff less attractive than the guy parked next to you. Or making it such a time-consuming PIA to actually get to, that only a professional could do so, who isn't interested in your paltry lil stuff in the first place. Yup, if someone really wants it they're going to get it, but they're gonna look awfully suspicious sitting there running an angle grinder while the alarm is blaring.

MadHatter66

I think what it boils down to is taking a calculated risk. I wasn't able to carry at my last job, so I left my weapon in my car... Because of where I worked and the fact that there was secured parking with 15' fences I didn't even use a lock box, I just slid it under my seat in my paddle holster. That was a calculated risk, based on the factors that I had and what I knew about the area. When I do leave my gun in the car elsewhere I will lock it in a car safe with a cable, or locked in the glove box or even locked in the safe in the glove box. I rarely ever go somewhere I can't carry just based on principal, or I will just cover it up... concealed means no one knows right? The last thing I will do is just not take a weapon with me, which is rare. But if I feel there is enough of a risk of theft, and I don't like that risk then what take it?

I think that the solution to the question is far more complex and I think that the OP needs to looks at the situation, where he intends on parking his car, the people that might be around, what kind of car he has, if he can check on his car throughout the day/night, is there an alarm, are there other people around, etc etc...

amlevin

I think that the solution to the question is far more complex and I think that the OP needs to looks at the situation, where he intends on parking his car, the people that might be around, what kind of car he has, if he can check on his car throughout the day/night, is there an alarm, are there other people around, etc etc...

Add to list:

Clean out all the stuff that accumulates in the car. Leaving a camera, binoculars, ammunition boxes, CD's, etc, can act as bait for the car prowler.

Last edited:

fire suppressor

A few years ago I bought a CD player with a USB port on it for my car. The CD player was cool when I bought it but now all I use is the USB port. LOL I hardly even use my ipod any more more often I load my songs onto my Droid and connect it to the radio via the USB port

SovereignAxe

Get a Subaru, plenty of hiding spots and nobody steals a Subaru. LOL

that's a fact. I'm constantly trying to figure out a better way to stash all my gear in all of my hiding places. I lost the one under the radio when I had to buy a new one and got a double DIN unit.

My only complaint about my storage spaces, besides the flimsy cup holders, is that I don't have map pockets on the back of the front seats.