• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

MJS article needs correction! "Gun carriers without a permit will face arrest," MPD

• Thread starter Herr Heckler Koch
  • Start date

skidmark

Campaign Veteran

Sorry, but it clearly does differentiate. The focus is on concealed carry, and goes into a fair amount of depth on how non-residents with the right paperwork can carry beginning at 12:01 AM while state residents have to wait to get their paperwork.

I understand you folks in Wisconsin on both sides of the issue are a bit touchy, but that's no reason to try and create turmiol where there really is none.

stay safe.

H

Herr Heckler Koch

Gun carriers without a permit will face arrest, authorities warn. MPD

§175.60(2g)(c) ... a licensee who is carrying a concealed weapon shall display his or her license document and photographic identification card and an out−of−state licensee who is carrying a concealed weapon shall display his or her out−of−state license and photographic identification card to a law enforcement officer upon the request of the law enforcement officer while the law enforcement officer is acting in an official capacity and with lawful authority.

§175.60(17) PENALTIES. (a) Any person who violates sub.(2g) (b) or (c) may be required to forfeit not more than $25, except that the person shall be exempted from the forfeiture if the person presents, within 48 hours, his or her license document or out−of−state license and photographic identification to the law enforcement agency that employs the requesting law enforcement officer.

A forfeiture is not yet an arrestable offense.

Further, regarding instruction by an enforcer of political subdivision ordinances, Wisconsin Statutes §66.0409 (6) Unless other facts and circumstances that indicate a criminal or malicious intent on the part of the person apply, no person may be in violation of, or be charged with a violation of, an ordinance of a political subdivision relating to disorderly conduct or other inappropriate behavior for loading, carrying, or going armed with a firearm, without regard to whether the firearm is loaded or is concealed or openly carried. Any ordinance in violation of this subsection does not apply and may not be enforced.

Absent a Wisconsin Concealed Weapons License, Wisconsin Statute §968.24 still holds, requiring RAS of a crime for even an inquiry of license status or arms.

That a forfeiture is not an arrestable offense may change with AB-246.

Wisconsin Statutes are at http://www.legis.state.wi.us/rsb/stats.html

M

McX

Go to first new post MJS article needs correction! "Gun carriers without a permit will face arrest," MPD

been there, done that, hated it.

McNutty

I'm not one to defend the Milwaukee Unrinal Sentinal (and clearly this their typical poor journalism), I think it is a little unclear what they are talking about. Clearly if you don't have a permit, carrying a concealed weapon would continue to be a misdemeanor and you could be arrested. If you have a permit and don't have it with you, a LEO should be able to determine by running a check that you have a valid permit and you could be issued a ticket. I think this is just typical crappy reporting where probably the writer of the article has no clue and simply snipped comments that fit his/her anti viewpoint.

jrclen

The Milwaukee cops are going to crack down on gang bangers and thugs carrying concealed hand guns to commit mayhem? It's about time. :banghead: