• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

sherrif says time for citizens to arm themselves

M-Taliesin

Howdy Amigo!
I am fully in agreement with what the sheriff says in the video you linked here.
The cops, no matter how dedicated or committed to citizen safety and protection, simply can't be everywhere.
They can't be there when needed at all times, and seldom can reach the scene of a crime in progreess.
We ought to arm ourselves, train up with a firearm, and be ready to defend our own lives and the lives of our loved ones.
We also ought to look out for our fellow citizens.

We had graduation from Citizen's Academy tonight, and our own sheriff showed up. He is a pretty strong advocate for CCW permits.
Unless I am greatly mistaken, our county ranks 3rd in the number of CCW permits issued from our Sheriff's Office. In talking with the sheriff, I learned that he is a really good man. My ability to see through a veneer assured me that he is what he appears to be, and that's a really good man. I liked him right off. We spoke about open carry, and concealed carry, and he noted that they have a dedicated group of deputies, but also that they can't be everywhere. Far too often, they arrive on the scene of a crime after the damage is done. Even when they get the report of a crime in progress, it is often all over by the time deputies arrive. I said that I'd much prefer, when the chips are down, that a deputy would be there to handle the problem. But when it's just me and a bad guy looking to do some serious damage, I'll handle the matter myself. He said that's everyone's responsibility, to defend their own life.

Anyhow, the video that goes with the article shows another good man who is also a sheriff in an American county. You sense his outrage at the horrific crime that took place to a good, law abiding woman in a park walking her dog on a Sunday afternoon. He repeats the phrase "I want you to get your concealed carry permit" several times. He said "If a concealed permit carrier had been around and heard the cries, that would fix it."

None of us looks forward to shooting another human being. That ain't the point. But none of us wants to be a victim either. None of us wants to stand idly by and watch another human being attacked by a ruthless animal posing as a human being without any ability to save that person from being victimized. None of us wants a member of our family to suffer brutal crimes against them either. No, we don't look forward to shooting anybody, but given no other option, we ought to be prepared to do what must be done when nobody else is around to stop an assault of this nature. If that means pulling the trigger, so mote it be.

I like that the sheriff in the video and the article mentions the Judge! My own is loaded with 2 rounds of .410 PDX-1 shells, and 3 .45 Colt long. The sheriff mentions that you don't need to be highly accurate, just close. And if the day comes that one needs to pull the trigger, and the Judge has spoken, perhaps bad guys will think twice before engaging in nefarious deeds where their mortality may quickly be called into question.

Yes, get your concealed carry permit, because you can't always open carry. But open carry does send a message to felons that folks are armed and ready to deal with their villany. But the advantage with concealed carry is... they never can know who might be armed and near enough to stop their crime before some innocent person suffers their brutality.

So, in short, I believe this sheriff is 'spot-on' about getting a CCW permit.
They say an armed society is a polite society.
I believe it is also a much safer one for innocent citizens as well.

Blessings,
M-Taliesin

since9

Campaign Veteran
None of us looks forward to shooting another human being.

I think this is the crux of the issue. I sure don't. I used to fly airplanes for a living, and I sure didn't look forward to putting her down gear up, or with engines at idle or full stop in a cornfield.

I DID, however, practice all available emergency procedures, as one never knew when crap would preclude setting her down on the planned runway.

All airline pilots practice this, not because they have a death wish, think the end is near, or whatever, but because they're responsible for many lives, accidents/incidents do happen, and their responses can either make or break such incidents. Sully relied on his training and experience, and averted what could have been a serious disaster.

We do much the same. We're not looking for trouble. We'll avoid it if possible, but we'll not back down if it's inevitable.

It's just life.

Be ready.