• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

is filmimg a LEO encounter in CO legal?

Shooter McGee

is filming a LEO encounter in CO legal?

so can anyone point me to any laws pertaining to the filming of LEO encounters being legal or illegal? and also, laws pertaining to the recording of audio of LEO encounters? i have heard of more than a few cases of people recording and/or filming such encounters and then being charged after the fact for an assortment of crimes and having their recording/filming devices confiscated as evidence. i have looked and looked but my searches aren't turning up much. any help would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

Polynikes

Also, Colorado is a one-party state when it comes to recording. If at least one party (i.e you) in the coversation knows it's being recorded, you're good to go.

Shooter McGee

That particular case is from a juristiction far outside of Colorado... but yes, it is still the right answer.

yes, that particular case was in boston but it was the First Circuit Court of Appeals--the highest federal court for New England just below the U.S. Supreme Court and being it was a federal court and had to do with 1st amendment rights it is applicable to all US citizens, if i'm not mistaken.

Last edited:

Gunslinger

Perfectly legal. Federal District and Appellate Court rulings only apply to that district. However, they are often cited in other jurisdictions. Conflicted rulings, e.g., the Stolen Valor Act, go to the Supremes for final--and nation-wide, decision.

Shooter McGee

Perfectly legal. Federal District and Appellate Court rulings only apply to that district. However, they are often cited in other jurisdictions. Conflicted rulings, e.g., the Stolen Valor Act, go to the Supremes for final--and nation-wide, decision.

right on. thanks for clarifying. still, it is something positive to go on. the flip cam will be with me always just for those special occasions where the situation warrants audio and video recording. knowing they're being recording can 'sometimes' keep them on their best behavior.