• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Somerset Police and OC

Sundiver

Had a chance to speak briefly with the Somerset Chief of Police during our local Halloween gathering at the new criminal justice plaza. I asked him if there was an official Somerset Police policy on open carry. His response was that concealed carry was fine and if one of his officers observed someone open carrying they would ask the person to return the firearm to their vehicle for fear of causing public alarm. I let the conversation drop at that and thanked him for his time.

I've not seen many open carry experiences related here from Somerset so no idea what the reality is. I have seen a few people OC'ing at the flea markets and such.

Sundiver

UnfetteredMight

...and they would have no legal authority to do so and he can stick his personal opinion where the sun doesn't shine.

DrakeZ07

I'm curious, about how one would handle a situation where a LEO was to approach an OC'er, and said something like that, or tried to cite a city ordinance against OC.

I'll send an Email to the Somerset PD and inquire about their policy towards OC and whether it's in line with the state.

KRM59

Their Policy ???

exactly what does their Policy have to do with your right to open carry in a State where it is completely legal ?
They can have any policy they wish , doesn't mean it is legal or will hold water.

KRM59

I'm curious, about how one would handle a situation where a LEO was to approach an OC'er, and said something like that, or tried to cite a city ordinance against OC.

I'll send an Email to the Somerset PD and inquire about their policy towards OC and whether it's in line with the state.

they can't site what does not exist.

Sundiver

I'll add he's an extremely cordial and likable fellow. I intend to follow-up on it as well. I'd been looking for my family and just happened to see him and thought I'd ask while I had the chance or would have followed up with some questions then. As he stated his biggest concern was "public alarm" at seeing someone armed walking down the street without a badge on. Pretty much his words.

09jisaac

Anyone notice how much "Public alarm" is speculated but how little there actually is?

A septemberfest I was stopped by two officers and told my gun "may cause alarm" and "it makes people worry". The only people I seen that it seemed to bother was an off duty police officer (carrying) and a firefighter that I have seen carrying before. None of the mothers seemed to skirt their kids away in fear. No one hid behind anything that I noticed.

UnfetteredMight

Best to approach those type of scenarios with an assured tone in your voice that you are a bona fide expert on the subject and actually be one.. From my experience, two results will most likely occur, they will confirm with a CO, or they were bullshitting you and they'll back off, both of which have occured to me. Actually the second one extended into a 4A violation in direct defiance of two components of Terri vs Ohio. Which brings me to the whole subject of case law...useful stuff to know....

DrakeZ07

exactly what does their Policy have to do with your right to open carry in a State where it is completely legal ?
They can have any policy they wish , doesn't mean it is legal or will hold water.

I apologize for not being clearer, and I didn't mean to offend or agitate you~ <3

I just meant, that I'd get in touch with them, ask them of their policy, or ROE about OC, then while having the pertinent documents on my screen, or in hand, cite state law, and Attorney General Opinions. And ask them to align themselves to state law. I didn't, in anyway, mean to cause friction or confrontation between us~

~<3

Badger Johnson

I bet they never had an actual case of 'public alarm'. I'd be tempted, if I were you, to ask, 'when was the last time, and let me see the (redacted) arrest record of it or I say you're BS-ing me'.

Last edited:

hotrod

Somerset Carry

I've carried at the summer car shows in downtown Somerset. Haven't had anyone ask me to not do so. I have never been impressed by the Somerset police. I am in Somerset most all weekends that boating is favorable and have had an opportunity to talk to the police there. The conversations were usually short, there command of the legal system is somewhat lacking.