Thread: Non-resident Carry

Non-resident Carry

I have a permit to buy handguns in Nebraska. I live in South Sioux City, Nebraska and would like to carry across the river into Sioux City, Iowa as well. Would the permit to buy handguns in Nebraska allow me to Open-Carry in Iowa as well? (Nebraska does not require a permit for open carry, only concealed carry). Or would I need to get a Concealed-Carry permit in Nebraska to be able to Open Carry carry in Iowa?

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Two different states = two different sets of laws.

Begin your quest below to satisfy your interest in Iowa laws.

http://www.opencarry.org/ia.html

http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/iowa.pdf
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

IA requires a permit for OC or CC. I sincerely doubt any state will allow you to carry on a purchase permit.
    States don’t have rights. People do.

http://www.dps.state.ia.us/asd/SF2379_FAQ.pdf
    QUESTION: I live in another state. Can I get an Iowa nonprofessional permit to carry weapons?

ANSWER: No. Iowa nonprofessional permits to carry weapons will only be issued to qualified Iowa residents. Nonresidents will still be
    able to apply for professional permits to carry weapons if needed for employment related reasons.

QUESTION: I live in another state. Will Iowa honor my concealed weapon permit issued in another state?

ANSWER: Iowa will honor any valid carry permit issued by any other state and will grant all privileges to such permit holders as those
    granted to Iowa residents including the concealed or open carrying of a firearm (excluding those classified by Iowa law as offensive
    weapons (federal NFA or Class 3)) and the concealed carrying of other non-firearm dangerous weapons such as knives with blades in
    excess of five inches, switchblade knives, Tasers/stun guns, or any other dangerous weapon. Non-firearm dangerous weapons may be
    carried openly without a permit. Non-firearm dangerous weapons may also be regulated by local ordinance that is more stringent than
    Iowa law. You do not have to be a resident of the state from which your permit was issued. However, an Iowa resident may only carry
    with an Iowa issued permit.
    I don't understand this at all. I can't apply for a weapon permit for Iowa if I'm not an Iowa resident, so... what do I do?..

You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

State Researcher
    A concealed handgun permit is required.
    James M. "Jim" Mullins, Jr., Esq.
    Admitted to practice in West Virginia and Florida.

Founder, Past President, Treasurer, and General Counsel, West Virginia Citizens Defense League, Inc.
    Life Member, NRA

For a non-resident of Iowa, any permit to carry weapons issued by any state in the union is required. We have very limited no-permit-required carry (not valid in incorporated areas, not valid in/on vehicles) so just get a permit.

Permits to purchase are a your-state-only thing. They are irrelevant once you go to a different state.

Quote Originally Posted by amaixner View Post
    For a non-resident of Iowa, any permit to carry weapons issued by any state in the union is required. We have very limited no-permit-required carry (not valid in incorporated areas, not valid in/on vehicles) so just get a permit.

Permits to purchase are a your-state-only thing. They are irrelevant once you go to a different state.
    +1

You need a permit to carry here. Open or concealed.

Quote Originally Posted by cjschram View Post
    I have a permit to buy handguns in Nebraska. I live in South Sioux City, Nebraska and would like to carry across the river into Sioux City, Iowa as well. Would the permit to buy handguns in Nebraska allow me to Open-Carry in Iowa as well? (Nebraska does not require a permit for open carry, only concealed carry). Or would I need to get a Concealed-Carry permit in Nebraska to be able to Open Carry carry in Iowa?
    The only way for you to carry in another state without a permit is if the state your visiting does not require a permit for open carry. When I go to Michigan, I am not required to carry my permit on me while open carrying due to Michigans "Open Carry" rules. As said, your permit to purchase is only good in the state you live in. If you wish to carry here, you need to get a permit from your own state. Now, since you said that Nebraska requires a permit to conceal only, that permit will allow you to open or conceal here. Use caution however, Iowa law requires you to produce a permit upon demand of LE. So if you are going to carry here, make sure you have your permit.

Quote Originally Posted by cjschram View Post
    http://www.dps.state.ia.us/asd/SF2379_FAQ.pdf

I don't understand this at all. I can't apply for a weapon permit for Iowa if I'm not an Iowa resident, so... what do I do?..
    Is there a particular reason why you don't have/don't want the NE permit?
    States don’t have rights. People do.

Quote Originally Posted by Tucker6900 View Post
    The only way for you to carry in another state without a permit is if the state your visiting does not require a permit for open carry. When I go to Michigan, I am not required to carry my permit on me while open carrying due to Michigans "Open Carry" rules. As said, your permit to purchase is only good in the state you live in. If you wish to carry here, you need to get a permit from your own state. Now, since you said that Nebraska requires a permit to conceal only, that permit will allow you to open or conceal here. Use caution however, Iowa law requires you to produce a permit upon demand of LE. So if you are going to carry here, make sure you have your permit.
    Thanks! This is what I was looking for; I was just confused if a NE permit to conceal carry would allow me to conceal carry AND open carry in Iowa. Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by mrjam2jab View Post
    Is there a particular reason why you don't have/don't want the NE permit?
    I will be getting one now.
    Last edited by cjschram; 11-02-2011 at 03:31 PM.

NE permit to purchase???? like NY and IL? How in the world did that ever happen? I though NE would be a "free" state

Quote Originally Posted by hermannr View Post
    NE permit to purchase???? like NY and IL? How in the world did that ever happen? I though NE would be a "free" state
    Douglas County (Omaha) has such an ordinance. Don't think it would survive a legal challenge though.
    http://www.omahasheriff.org/services/gun-permits

Quote Originally Posted by mrjam2jab View Post
    ...I sincerely doubt any state will allow you to carry on a purchase permit.
    Perhaps you could research those states that require a purchase permit and if that allows OC.

This is very out of date ~ http://www.statemaster.com/graph/gov...n-laws-permits

Idaho like the majority of states does not require a purchase permit.

Quote Originally Posted by hermannr View Post
    Nope it's northern nieghbor South Dakota is though. It's Awesome
    Patrick Henry didn't say "Give me safety , or give me death". Liberty is what America is about.

So, living in Illinois I'm screwed as far as carrying concealed in any other state.

Activist Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gs5150 View Post
    So, living in Illinois I'm screwed as far as carrying concealed in any other state.
    No. You can get non-resident carry permits from quite a few other states. There are just some states, like Michigan, that don't recognize non-resident permits. Iowa recognizes all carry permits issued to non-residents, so if you wanted to carry here all you would need is a non-resident permit from another state, like Utah or Arizona.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkshadow62988 View Post
    No. You can get non-resident carry permits from quite a few other states. There are just some states, like Michigan, that don't recognize non-resident permits. Iowa recognizes all carry permits issued to non-residents, so if you wanted to carry here all you would need is a non-resident permit from another state, like Utah or Arizona.
    Yeah MI sucks as far as that goes. When we were under may issue system we recognized all permits but when we went to shall issue it changed to residence permits only.
    "No state shall convert a liberty to a privilege, license it, and charge a fee therefor.- Murdock vs Pennsylvania 319 US 105

...If the state converts a right into a privelege, the citizen can ignore the license and fee and engage in the right... with impunity.
    - Shuttleworth vs City of Birmingham, Alabama 317 US 262

Where rights secured by the Constitution are involved, there can be no legislation which would abrogate them.
    - Miranda vs Arizona 384 US 436

Quote Originally Posted by xmanhockey7 View Post
    Yeah MI sucks as far as that goes. When we were under may issue system we recognized all permits but when we went to shall issue it changed to residence permits only.
    Im just going to clarify for the other readers, only because I was momentarily confused by your statement.

Michigan does recognize out of state permits, it just does not issue non resident permits. But, in order to be legal with an out of state permit, you must reside in the state that issued the permit.
    Last edited by Tucker6900; 11-11-2011 at 07:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by gs5150 View Post
    That is correct. Unless one of two things happens....

You get a permit from Illinois.....(LMAO)

You get a Utah permit. If memory serves, the Utah permit is good in 30+ states.

Quote Originally Posted by Tucker6900 View Post
    You get a Utah permit. If memory serves, the Utah permit is good in 30+ states.
    Utah = 32
    Arizona = 33

The Arizona permit is easier to get if you already have a permit from your state.

Biggest difference for most Iowans is
    Utah gets you Minnesota, AZ does not
    AZ is good in Kansas, Utah is not

according to USACarry http://tinyurl.com/44l95u