• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Non-resident Carry

cjschram

I have a permit to buy handguns in Nebraska. I live in South Sioux City, Nebraska and would like to carry across the river into Sioux City, Iowa as well. Would the permit to buy handguns in Nebraska allow me to Open-Carry in Iowa as well? (Nebraska does not require a permit for open carry, only concealed carry). Or would I need to get a Concealed-Carry permit in Nebraska to be able to Open Carry carry in Iowa?

cjschram

http://www.dps.state.ia.us/asd/SF2379_FAQ.pdf
QUESTION: I live in another state. Can I get an Iowa nonprofessional permit to carry weapons?

ANSWER: No. Iowa nonprofessional permits to carry weapons will only be issued to qualified Iowa residents. Nonresidents will still be
able to apply for professional permits to carry weapons if needed for employment related reasons.

QUESTION: I live in another state. Will Iowa honor my concealed weapon permit issued in another state?

ANSWER: Iowa will honor any valid carry permit issued by any other state and will grant all privileges to such permit holders as those
granted to Iowa residents including the concealed or open carrying of a firearm (excluding those classified by Iowa law as offensive
weapons (federal NFA or Class 3)) and the concealed carrying of other non-firearm dangerous weapons such as knives with blades in
excess of five inches, switchblade knives, Tasers/stun guns, or any other dangerous weapon. Non-firearm dangerous weapons may be
carried openly without a permit. Non-firearm dangerous weapons may also be regulated by local ordinance that is more stringent than
Iowa law. You do not have to be a resident of the state from which your permit was issued. However, an Iowa resident may only carry
with an Iowa issued permit.

I don't understand this at all. I can't apply for a weapon permit for Iowa if I'm not an Iowa resident, so... what do I do?..

amaixner

For a non-resident of Iowa, any permit to carry weapons issued by any state in the union is required. We have very limited no-permit-required carry (not valid in incorporated areas, not valid in/on vehicles) so just get a permit.

Permits to purchase are a your-state-only thing. They are irrelevant once you go to a different state.

Tucker6900

For a non-resident of Iowa, any permit to carry weapons issued by any state in the union is required. We have very limited no-permit-required carry (not valid in incorporated areas, not valid in/on vehicles) so just get a permit.

Permits to purchase are a your-state-only thing. They are irrelevant once you go to a different state.

+1

You need a permit to carry here. Open or concealed.

Tucker6900

I have a permit to buy handguns in Nebraska. I live in South Sioux City, Nebraska and would like to carry across the river into Sioux City, Iowa as well. Would the permit to buy handguns in Nebraska allow me to Open-Carry in Iowa as well? (Nebraska does not require a permit for open carry, only concealed carry). Or would I need to get a Concealed-Carry permit in Nebraska to be able to Open Carry carry in Iowa?

The only way for you to carry in another state without a permit is if the state your visiting does not require a permit for open carry. When I go to Michigan, I am not required to carry my permit on me while open carrying due to Michigans "Open Carry" rules. As said, your permit to purchase is only good in the state you live in. If you wish to carry here, you need to get a permit from your own state. Now, since you said that Nebraska requires a permit to conceal only, that permit will allow you to open or conceal here. Use caution however, Iowa law requires you to produce a permit upon demand of LE. So if you are going to carry here, make sure you have your permit.

cjschram

The only way for you to carry in another state without a permit is if the state your visiting does not require a permit for open carry. When I go to Michigan, I am not required to carry my permit on me while open carrying due to Michigans "Open Carry" rules. As said, your permit to purchase is only good in the state you live in. If you wish to carry here, you need to get a permit from your own state. Now, since you said that Nebraska requires a permit to conceal only, that permit will allow you to open or conceal here. Use caution however, Iowa law requires you to produce a permit upon demand of LE. So if you are going to carry here, make sure you have your permit.

Thanks! This is what I was looking for; I was just confused if a NE permit to conceal carry would allow me to conceal carry AND open carry in Iowa. Thanks again.

Is there a particular reason why you don't have/don't want the NE permit?

I will be getting one now.

Last edited:

Darkshadow62988

Activist Member
So, living in Illinois I'm screwed as far as carrying concealed in any other state.

No. You can get non-resident carry permits from quite a few other states. There are just some states, like Michigan, that don't recognize non-resident permits. Iowa recognizes all carry permits issued to non-residents, so if you wanted to carry here all you would need is a non-resident permit from another state, like Utah or Arizona.

xmanhockey7

No. You can get non-resident carry permits from quite a few other states. There are just some states, like Michigan, that don't recognize non-resident permits. Iowa recognizes all carry permits issued to non-residents, so if you wanted to carry here all you would need is a non-resident permit from another state, like Utah or Arizona.

Yeah MI sucks as far as that goes. When we were under may issue system we recognized all permits but when we went to shall issue it changed to residence permits only.

Tucker6900

Yeah MI sucks as far as that goes. When we were under may issue system we recognized all permits but when we went to shall issue it changed to residence permits only.

Im just going to clarify for the other readers, only because I was momentarily confused by your statement.

Michigan does recognize out of state permits, it just does not issue non resident permits. But, in order to be legal with an out of state permit, you must reside in the state that issued the permit.

Last edited:

Tucker6900

So, living in Illinois I'm screwed as far as carrying concealed in any other state.

That is correct. Unless one of two things happens....

You get a permit from Illinois.....(LMAO)

You get a Utah permit. If memory serves, the Utah permit is good in 30+ states.